Author Topic: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread  (Read 48203 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 10:06:20 am »
So far, I'm enjoying the stage design more than classic Sonic in Generations.
It's nice to have that homing attack back too.
The music's only so-so, but the rest has been great so far :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:53 am »
Metal Sonic's boss themes (both versions) are pretty awesome. Looking forward to the eventual remixes of them.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:17 am »
I've been quiet all along over here about s4e2. Mainly cuz i didn't want to cause a ruckus with my... not so positive views. Well actually I just kind of let it go with all the other great stuff SEGA has been releasing lately. I've been enjoying pso2 beta, and right now i am very much still enjoying binary domain.(Btw I love the multiplayer mode, sadly theres such few people participating, but anyway)

I do have noticed how little hype the game has for it over here, and actually in general as well. I have actually never seen such little hype for a sonic game ever in my life. Sonic is supposed to be SEGA's mascot and make everyone go wild. It is the sequel to one of SEGA's best produced games during their golden era. So episode 2 is the result of what went totally wrong with episode 1.

For those who are enjoying the game, I am happy for you guys. But they did it again to me, so i'm passing on this awful second attempt too. For me this is still sonic 4 and not some random sonic game. Yes the title means alot to me and they managed to disgrace sonic's legacy again.

Not cool and I really hope this is the last time.

Offline SaturnineNights

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 11:52:16 am »
CrazyTails, how is S4E2 a disgrace to the Sonic franchise? I've rather enjoyed it...the music is miles above E1, there are clever nods to a few classic games, and the level design is far more imaginative than Sonic Generations Classic was. Not to mention the bosses are actually really impressive; I can't remember the last time a Sonic boss was genuinely foreboding...and the special stages are a treat. Almost as cool as the Sonic 3D Blast Saturn special stage. Almost.  ;)

The physics are still a little iffy, but it's a huge step forward from S4E1...I'm curious to hear what you see as so disgraceful about it.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:13 pm »
Ill give it another try tonight but I'm with crazytails on this one.  It's just not fun at all.  Sonic handles like he's in a snow drift at all times and the co-op mechanic is contrived and terribly implemented.  Enabling team attacks is awkward and breaks the game's flow.  I don't know how any one could claim the game has better physics than Generations.  I've never felt so encumbered playing a platformer before.  Jumping and spinning with sonic should always feel like a joy!  Instead, the moment you do either the character becomes sluggish and unresponsive.  It really is a slap in the face.

The game's only redeeming quality at this point is the art direction/visuals.  These are some of the best level motifs I've seen in a long time for a sonic game.  For the record, I'm at the boss of the desert level right now.     

Offline SaturnineNights

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »
For the record, I'm at the boss of the desert level right now.     

See how you feel after you've finished the game. The final zones are a treat.

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »
I will some this up the best I have fun playing the game and that is all that matters to me

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
The reviewers out there are fucking hypocrites. They loved Episode 1 and gave it 9's and shit. Now, they say this one is even better and give it like, 5/10. fucking insulting. Nice way to listen to the whiny retro fanboys and act like fucking sheep.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »
I'm starting to think that the 5/10's are just reviewers giving episode 2 what they wish they had given episode 1. But since they can't change their ep 1 score, they're docking points from ep 2 just for the ep 1 connection.

Offline SaturnineNights

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-2-review/

This one is particularly annoying. The reviewer claims there's no perfect ending after getting all the Chaos Emeralds.....is that what the red rings are for, then?

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2012, 05:12:31 pm »
The reviewers out there are fucking hypocrites. They loved Episode 1 and gave it 9's and shit. Now, they say this one is even better and give it like, 5/10. fucking insulting. Nice way to listen to the whiny retro fanboys and act like fucking sheep.

I'm gonna argue with myself here. I think the reason Sonic 4-2 is getting lower scores than eps 1 DESPITE being a better game has more to do with it's newness wearing off. Sonic 4-1 was the first HD/2D Sonic game. Critics loved it because it reminded them of sonic's heyday and they looked over many of it's glaring flaws. Now, we've had Generations since then and are less excited for eps 2. They aren't overlooking the flaws this time and will more likely nitpick more than the first one.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline SaturnineNights

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »
I'm gonna argue with myself here. I think the reason Sonic 4-2 is getting lower scores than eps 1 DESPITE being a better game has more to do with it's newness wearing off.

I dunno, I felt Ep2 had substantially more "fresh" ideas and concepts, and that the nods to the classic games were more tastefully and thoughtfully done. I think the negativity in reviews is partially due to critical harshness towards the Sonic franchise as a whole; Colors and Generations notwithstanding, there's a degree of animosity towards the series that few other games receive. I remember All-Stars Racing getting incredibly harsh reviews from some commentators, implying it's a Mario Kart clone, when other "Mario Kart clones" didn't receive nearly as much vitriol.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2012, 06:22:42 am »
I was glancing over Metacritic.com to check Sonic 4: Episode II and compare it to Sonic 4: Episode I.
Sonic 4: Episode I actually had negative reviews.

It's a little too early to judge. But if all the reviews are either mixed or positive it could be seen as an overall improvement.
I read through some of the reviews, even the mixed ones say that there is nothing wrong with the gameplay in and of itself(ergo not broken or wonky).

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:02 am »
CrazyTails, how is S4E2 a disgrace to the Sonic franchise? I've rather enjoyed it...the music is miles above E1, there are clever nods to a few classic games, and the level design is far more imaginative than Sonic Generations Classic was.

Not to mention the bosses are actually really impressive; I can't remember the last time a Sonic boss was genuinely foreboding...and the special stages are a treat. Almost as cool as the Sonic 3D Blast Saturn special stage. Almost.  ;)

The physics are still a little iffy, but it's a huge step forward from S4E1...I'm curious to hear what you see as so disgraceful about it.
I respect your opinion but I just don't think that is enough for sonic 4 episode 2. The way you are describing it like you are describing a very ordinary platformer. Sonic should not be an "ordinary" platforming game. It should be the best thing ever if not better than its predecessors. S4e2 is not a bad game, but for a sequel to the classics, to be one of the worst 2d sonic games(maybe even a little bit worse than some of the game gear games) is just wrong at so many levels from a principled point of view. What has been fixed from episode 1 to 2 is the instant loss of momentum. Air inertia has been fixed drastically which are great plusses. But besides that, the level design is still very basic and sometimes even automated to the point where you'd think DIMPS designs their levels in a very formulatic way. Safe sky fortress, which is quite an impressive level.

For sonic music standards, the music is very bad actually. I wasn't a big fan of episode 1's music either but episode 2's music seems worse in some ways, and even the good ones fall flat because they're looped in seconds. I just don't get how little care there's putten into this specific game. Do you really think this is the way a sonic 4 should have ever been treaten?

The game actually feels unfinished in a few departments. The red rings for example have been confirmed to do nothing but achieve a  trophy/achievement. Supersonic mode is not so much a supersonic mode because he gets back his episode 1 control/physics and transforms back everytime you use a team movement.

The bosses are debatable but personally I hate the fact that the bosses take so long only because they're very cinematic and make you wait before he's open for an attack. They just drag on too much for no reason sometimes. May become a bigger issue in a boss rush or when simply redoing them. I like the sand ocean boss however.

Special stage is an upgrade to sonic 2's and is indeed great yet still very unoriginal for a game that is called sonic 4. Yeah this is also something that irks me to death. This game should be a sequel of new original ideas, instead we are still getting renewed/redone content. I still don't get that.

Overall it's just dissapointing. I enjoy sonic advance more, I even enjoy sonic rush more than sonic 4, which should never be the case. Sonic 4 almost feels like marketing first and a game second. That is why I think it's disgraceful.

@Barry and shigs on the reviews

I think you both may be spot on. Realisation may have come later
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:12:09 am by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »