Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic  (Read 216810 times)

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
tech wise
i will hold my judgment for now until i see a direct feed video. cause i am not actually sure after seeing the poor textures and shaders in these photos! i don't understand! it's clearly they are not using the Hedgehog Engine in this game, and the logical question is WHY? this game would benefit greatly from it's technology.
a good scenario could be that there is a possibility for the game to improve since what we saw is related to the planned closed BETA hold in May. but even with that in mind i doubt if there will be any significant changes graphically in the final build.

gameplay and art seems good enough to me. but of course need more videos covering other areas in the game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 09:36:09 pm »
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
tech wise
i will hold my judgment for now until i see a direct feed video. cause i am not actually sure after seeing the poor textures and shaders in these photos! i don't understand! it's clearly they are not using the Hedgehog Engine in this game, and the logical question is WHY? this game would benefit greatly from it's technology.
a good scenario could be that there is a possibility for the game to improve since what we saw is related to the planned closed BETA hold in May. but even with that in mind i doubt if there will be any significant changes graphically in the final build.

gameplay and art seems good enough to me. but of course need more videos covering other areas in the game.
Actually, it's an alpha test, beta will come later, and May 20 is the last day players can register to participate in the alpha, not when the alpha test starts.

Checking on PSO2 official website, there's still no date for the beginning of the alpha test, it still says summer 2011, and, it also says that winners of the lottery to participate in the alpha test will be notified around mid June (thus confirming that the alpha won't start in May).

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:42 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
It reminds me much more of PSO than PSU, from the character outfits being more toned down and very 'military-esque' instead of frilly, over the top stuff.

I was very pleased by this.  That standardized apparel will really help sell the world.  
Finally for me at least, the BEST edition is randomly generated levels, It's what I have been hoping for. Why? Because as soon as I know the level lay out of levels I start to get bored of it. Anything that'll keep it fresh is great for me.
I hope you are right.  But it's hard enough for a human being to design a good level, why would leaving it to a randomizer yield better results.  I would prefer predesigned levels with perhaps, random elements.  Thats what made rare monsters in PSO such a treat.  Also, in pso there were about 3 or 4 layouts designed for each stage that would be randomly selected at the outset of gameplay.  Maybe they'll be bringing something like that back.  
The enemies look like any thing I've seen in a PSO game before... I don’t think the enemy designs in any PSO game were anything to write home about

The phantasy star series has plenty of iconic enemies.  Rappies, grass assasins,  twinarms, and more recently, boomas.  These look like starship troopers aliens.  Boo.
Finally, I wouldn't judge the game so quickly from the very very little we have seen. It's pretty early in development and we have seen so very little I wouldn’t worry about lack of exciting enemies or bland level designs.

Absolutely.  I'll try to keep an open mind about the whole thing.  Let's wait and see how things develop.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:14 am »
Quote from: "Radrappy"
Finally for me at least, the BEST edition is randomly generated levels, It's what I have been hoping for. Why? Because as soon as I know the level lay out of levels I start to get bored of it. Anything that'll keep it fresh is great for me.
I hope you are right.  But it's hard enough for a human being to design a good level, why would leaving it to a randomizer yield better results.  I would prefer predesigned levels with perhaps, random elements.  Thats what made rare monsters in PSO such a treat.  Also, in pso there were about 3 or 4 layouts designed for each stage that would be randomly selected at the outset of gameplay.  Maybe they'll be bringing something like that back.  

Some games definitely need human level designers, I agree, and humans are also superior level designers. No doubt. However this can definitely work for a game like PSO, well, maybe not as well as human designers but they maybe cannot come up with enough levels to keep it unique and fresh. Torchlight proved that this can work and still be good to me; I didn't get bored because of randomly generated Dungeons, I got bored because the world needed to be larger and there was no co-op.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:00 am »
Looks really good already and just what wanted . PSO for the next Gen with lush green textures
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:16 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Looks really good already and just what wanted . PSO for the next Gen with lush green textures

Fact: a game cannot be "next gen" if it has any colors other than gray, black, brown. If it exits that 3 color palette it is no longer "next gen".

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:23 am »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"

Fact: a game cannot be "next gen" if it has any colors other than gray, black, brown. If it exits that 3 color palette it is no longer "next gen".

You know I could list so many Mega Drive games and Snes, N64 games that used that sort of colour pallet and they're hailed as classics .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:26 am »

You know I could list so many Mega Drive games and Snes, N64 games that used that sort of colour pallet and they're hailed as classics .

I'd debate this further but I don't wanna derail the thread, if you want you can send me a list of those games. However I will say that including Mega Drive is a pretty unfair comparison because it was very much restricted in terms of color palette, devs didn't have a ton of options. Not the case on our current gen systems.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 05:13:55 am »

I'd debate this further but I don't wanna derail the thread, if you want you can send me a list of those games. However I will say that including Mega Drive is a pretty unfair comparison because it was very much restricted in terms of color palette, devs didn't have a ton of options. Not the case on our current gen systems.

I'm much rather talk about PO II as well, but lets not kid our self's that all 16 bit or 32 bit features featured colour everywhere and there is none of that in this current gen .  I see so many on here rave about Shenmue - that hardly had the greatest colour pallet, Streets Of Rage series  didn't have the most vibrant of colour pallet, no did the Shining Forcer series (on any SEGA system) same goes for Castlevania series, Shinobi series and nor did Panzer Dragoon series in fact there was brown used everywhere in that game series.

So please spare us all the bullshit over the next gen lack of colour and lets move on and debate PSO II.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 05:37:05 am »
I'm much rather talk about PO II as well, but lets not kid our self's that all 16 bit or 32 bit features featured colour everywhere and there is none of that in this current gen .  I see so many on here rave about Shenmue - that hardly had the greatest colour pallet, Streets Of Rage series  didn't have the most vibrant of colour pallet, no did the Shining Forcer series (on any SEGA system) same goes for Castlevania series, Shinobi series and nor did Panzer Dragoon series in fact there was brown used everywhere in that game series.

So please spare us all the bullshit over the next gen lack of colour and lets move on and debate PSO II.

Ash has more color than Gears of War in its' entirety, don't be dissing my SOR son!

More comparison to GoW: http://http://imgur.com/a/6rKfE

You got me on the early Panzer Dragoon games, and as for Castlevania, not really a fan of Metroidvania games, so that franchise shall sit defenseless!  :twisted:

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 06:16:14 am »
Well, as long anyone can run it and it looks decent, I'll be more then happy.

I don't think the pixels will fly over the screen ingame. The same things have been pointed out in sonic generations early screens which were overscaled too and actually look worse. We all know what the hedgehog engine can display so this can't be right.

I think it's either ALPHA, or overscaled screenshots. It could also be both ofcourse

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:15 am »
// WARNING: this is a sarcastic post, please don't scream at me

Pfft. This PSO2 stuff looks like typical Sonic team trash.

[youtube:jqkujcwu]ZsJ3XwTkjWo[/youtube:jqkujcwu]

This is what a real next-gen PSO would look like. Look how much better it looks! Sonic Team just fails to keep up with the times.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 06:26:05 am »
Quote from: "ShadiNeko"
// WARNING: this is a sarcastic post, please don't scream at me

Pfft. This PSO2 stuff looks like typical Sonic team trash.

This is what a real next-gen PSO would look like. Look how much better it looks! Sonic Team just fails to keep up with the times.

Don't warn US! Jeeze man, hit us with it and then you hit us with something like this:

And you say it like you mean it!!!!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 06:28:10 am »
lol sorry
just annoys me seeing people on neogaf praise that and bash PSO2's graphics.

I personally think PSO2 looks better, even if it's textures aren't super detailed.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:52 am »
Nah I get you there, its' art direction is really appealing to me as well. I think the game looks great even if there are some low poly assets and some odd texture issues. There are a lot of PC gamers on Gaf though, so.... Even though I primarily game on PC now, I hate PC gamers. They really just.....

Edit: Said it before on here I think, but Rage looks like trash! Insert that "Deal With It" gif from earlier here.