Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 715291 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »
Just playing through Revenge of Shinobi right now, disco ninja boss just finished, moving onto the third stage. I tell you, even though it's been outdone and it's an aged game, there is still a lot of cool stuff in this game, can't wait until I get to beat the stuffings out of Batman, Spiderman and Godzilla, going to show them all who's the boss!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played much of Revenge... I'll have to make that a top priority when I get my GP2X  :afroman:

I'm hoping to start playing Wet on 360 after Yakuza 2, and KOTOR after ME2. Playing Mass Effect made me think of the game, and how long it's been since I played it.

I also want to go back and re-play RE:CV sometime as well, maybe after Wet.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 12:10:40 am »
I've been leveling up a couple of jobs before I go much further in Final Fantasy V.  Some story thing happened, and I ended up losing my healer for the meantime.

Also, I played a good chunk of flOw.  I finally get the controls, and it's a pretty fun game :).
The AVP demo finally works, and it's really fun.  I haven't gotten a chance to play as a predator, but the Marine is very intense, and the Alien is just a blast to bolt around.

I played a bit of Half-Minute Hero too.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 01:37:30 am »
Just got done playing some Valkyria Chronicles.  Did a skirmish and some side stories I unlocked because I wasn't ready for Chapter 14 battle again yet.  Largo loves him some veggies! ^_^

Offline SOUP

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 08:00:13 am »
Quote from: "ShadiWulf"
Just got done playing some Valkyria Chronicles.  Did a skirmish and some side stories I unlocked because I wasn't ready for Chapter 14 battle again yet.  Largo loves him some veggies! ^_^

yEAH he does :D

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 08:08:39 am »
Soup we got to play some co-op Uncharted sometime.

Started Afro Samurai (eh, already) and Batman Arkham Asylum (finally).

Games in the back burner:
- Fl0w
- Briad
- Critter Crunch

and a few others. I still have not gotten the platinum on Uncharted 2. I might do that soon.  :mrgreen:

Offline SOUP

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 08:12:34 am »
Quote from: "George"
Soup we got to play some co-op Uncharted sometime.

Started Afro Samurai (eh, already) and Batman Arkham Asylum (finally).

Games in the back burner:
- Fl0w
- Briad
- Critter Crunch

and a few others. I still have not gotten the platinum on Uncharted 2. I might do that soon.  :mrgreen:

Sounds good to me. I'm on the Eastern Standard Timezone.

I just beat flOw.
Very cool game once I got the controls clicked.  I think I'll play it through to get a few more of the trophies before going back to the rest of my backlog.

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
Quote from: "George"
STORM has wanted to play Uncharted 2 with me for awhile. Just that my internet at my house is ass. Its laggy about 70% of the time. Though I'm up for it. (angelcoma).

Does everyone have headsets?

Downloading Fl0W, Sony  made a mistake or something because its free on PSN. So if you get on, check its still free. (US Store).  :mrgreen:

I have a blutooth headset that I found in the move.
We should totally get a game in at some point, if it's a Friday or Saturday night would be best as I am on grenich mean time.

I'm playing heart attack mode on outrun online, the best I have done is AA so far.

Going to pick up Bipshock 2 tomorrow, it's going to be about 8 days until I am online again so can do with an offline game.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 04:20:34 pm »
I just have one thing to say about what I played today;

F*** Lost Odyssey. Words can't describe how ticked off I am about this.

I tried doing the Grand Staff which is the second to last dungeon in the game, man are you kiddin' me?

This dungeon is the ultimate bullshit, there's no save point apart from that one early on and after speding a full hour roaming around and leveling up quite a bit, I get to the top and there's a freakin' boss fight with the Saints, Gongora's body guards.

Which I lost. And the game takes place immediatly after you get to the top, and there's nothing.
It's really so frustrating, this makes the previous chores look like practice mode.

A lack of save-points makes it impossible for me to saveguard everything I had done until that point, especially when I need to leave the house for whatever reason.

The dungeon itself is a maze, which has wrong turns and a boss that might kill you if you happen to operate it.

Seriously, screw this, the game is a total buzz-killer. It's a text book example of how not to make a fun RPG. It's an RPG, alright, but the fun factor depends on how much you can stand leveling up caps, boss fights that you can only win a certain way and only that way, otherwise all you'll get is a Game Over screen and constant ring swapping.

What a bunch of crap, Mistwalker must've had a meeting where the first thing that came up was "How can we make the game hard enough?"

'Cause I'm serious,I'm this close to calling it quits, watching the ending on Youtube and play Magna Carta 2 instead.

As weak as Magna Carta 2 is, it can't possibly be as frustratring as Lost Odyssey.

Offline Ulala5

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »
If you spend some times to the temple of light's dungeon you will level up so much to have no problems in the last dungeon and bosses.
I can understand is quite frustrating but i have to admit the lack of save points is one of the things i appreciate more on that game (wich is one of my fav rpg), i mean, i don't like rpgs where you can save everytime and everywhere i find it boring. The beautiful thing of that kind of games is the fact you spend hours and hours in dungeons beating enemies and enjoy the story, isn't it?
Even Skies of Arcadia was a bit frustrating sometimes for the same reason but it's anyway an awesome game.
Go Go Channel 5

[Xbox Gamercards

Offline max_cady

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »
I totally understand where you're coming from, too.

But a save anywhere feature sometimes is necessary. Imagine you have to leave the house for a reason(which is what I did) and I just couln't leave the console off. That is annoying.

But it's only the great characters and strong plot which keeps me going, but even my patience, at some point, wears thin.

LO is an old-school RPG at it's core, with all the same issues that come with such a title.
And I remember Skies of Arcadia too. But from my personal experience, while some dungeons in that game were also hard, the fact that there were no level-up caps like in this one, made boss fights so much easier, but nothing in Skies of Arcadia that was as punishing or frustrating as LO has been so far.

Kinda makes me wish SoA was on XBL. Now there's something I wouldn't mind having on my hard drive.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »
Lost Odyssey has level caps for a reason, they do not want you leveling up just to breeze through the game. It is challenging sure, but I never thought it was too hard for it's own good. Maybe you should just try some side missions to get the better weapons and stuff? It is what I did. Also try to buy a bunch of health items to stock up for Grand Staff.

I do not know why you are complaining about the save points when the game is already 60+ hours. The reason you cannot save anywhere is that if that were the case you might save in an area where you are stuck and cannot return or progress. Would that not be way worse than what we have now?

Honestly I did not have much trouble at all at the last section of the game. Did you get your immortals to learn as many skills as possible? Did you learn the skills that make you absorb certain magic attacks? This stuff can help a lot.

Mostly just playing Skies of Arcadia Legends now and put everything else to the side. I am doing great and having a really awesome time, but this game seriously has some fucking bullshit one hit kills (Rupee especially...). I do not understand how characters dying in one hit constantly is considered fun, Lost Odyssey never did anything like that!

Next up: Bayonetta should be delivered this week.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:14 pm »
Right now I'm playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, wanted a change of pace especially with all my Shinobi playthrough, just recently played up to the third stage in Nightshade, not really a good game, but Hibana is totally cool.

Quote from: "max_cady"
But from my personal experience, while some dungeons in that game were also hard, the fact that there were no level-up caps like in this one, made boss fights so much easier, but nothing in Skies of Arcadia that was as punishing or frustrating as LO has been so far.

Yikes, there are level caps? Honestly, if you are going to create a RPG and are afraid that people will just skip ahead too far in their leveling up, it kind of destroys one of the fundamentals of the genre.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »
@Sega Uranus

Fortunately I have another save prior to entering Grand Staff so maybe I'll do those sidequests.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2010, 08:43:01 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Yikes, there are level caps? Honestly, if you are going to create a RPG and are afraid that people will just skip ahead too far in their leveling up, it kind of destroys one of the fundamentals of the genre.

They are extremely lenient rules though. He did not explain that the level caps only come into play when you spend over an hour doing nothing but power leveling. IMO it was an extremely good choice so now the players cannot do the most boring form of cheating in the world, at least not a lot of it.