Author Topic: Kojima ending relationship with Konami  (Read 19964 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Kojima ending relationship with Konami
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 01:51:59 am »
And they posted really good profits,  I guess their video game business really doesn't matter to them.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 03:57:25 am »
Konami's profits from gambling/pachinko and their fitness clubs is higher than gaming, so them moving away from being a games publisher outside of MSG, DDR & Pro Evo is not surprising.

They will likely follow the path of EA/Activision/Ubisoft et al and release a ton of games in those three franchises produced cheaply and quickly using inexpensive staff relying on the name value of the franchise to sell the title with increasingly lower numbers as the lack of quality takes it's tole and Konami become less relevant in Gaming outside of mobile games.

Sega's situation could be much worse compared to the disaster here!

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »
Anyone hearing about the situation with P.T.? It's honestly kind of hilarious.

Essentially, Konami has completely forbade the game from ever being re-downloaded, even by people who already had it. They've revoked a 'license,' of every owner, and now that it's gone, if they delete it from their system, they can never download it again.

But that's not all! In revoking this license, they've also made the PSN fail a check to make sure the user is legit. So if the system detects PT now, it will lock the user out of the PSN and out of access to their games. The only way to stop it is to delete PT from their system, and go offline.

I have never before seen a company so adamant in ignoring this thing ever  happened. It's just sad and petty honestly. They have succeeded in killing a digital title for good, and it's their own game, and a high-profile game at that.

Fucking amazing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 12:28:04 pm »
^Holy shit, I heard they were blocking sales of it from Ebay, but I didn't know about blocking users unless they delete it!

Offline George

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 03:02:20 pm »
Yes, now Konami is entering the mobile business. I have a feeling they won't even milk most of those games you mentioned because they can just do mobile versions of the games for cheaper and 'probably' get a bigger audience.

What is so special about the PT demo? I heard it was very 'OK' but worked as a teaser.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:16 pm »
It's just Konami trying so hard to erase its existence that's gotten people's attention.

Offline George

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:51 pm »
Don't worry, Metal Gear Solid 4 did the job better than all this shit would.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 04:12:47 am »
Anyone hearing about the situation with P.T.? It's honestly kind of hilarious.

Essentially, Konami has completely forbade the game from ever being re-downloaded, even by people who already had it. They've revoked a 'license,' of every owner, and now that it's gone, if they delete it from their system, they can never download it again.

But that's not all! In revoking this license, they've also made the PSN fail a check to make sure the user is legit. So if the system detects PT now, it will lock the user out of the PSN and out of access to their games. The only way to stop it is to delete PT from their system, and go offline.

I have never before seen a company so adamant in ignoring this thing ever  happened. It's just sad and petty honestly. They have succeeded in killing a digital title for good, and it's their own game, and a high-profile game at that.

Fucking amazing.

It looks like that anyone who has downloaded PT, even if they subsequently delete it, will be blocked from accessing PSN with any games, as even if you delete it, the license is still there and so your account will fail the checks necessary to get access as it appears that you have unlicenced software on your console. This move my Konami is incredibly actionable if anyone were bothered. Sony best clear this up quickly. I sincerely hope MGS & Pro Evo die off as the sooner Konami becomes a full fledged mobile publisher, the sooner the gaming world can forget they exist.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:44 am »
What is so special about the PT demo? I heard it was very 'OK' but worked as a teaser.
Did whoever tell you that it's only 'OK' only watch playthroughs on Youtube or Twitch. Actually playing it is a lot scarier than watching someone else play it. I've seen some praise it as one of the best horror games of all time, I'm too much of a wimp to play it for long though. :V

Also, it's a pretty big part of video game history. Keep in mind that when this was released, Konami didn't announce what it was actually a teaser for. It wasn't until a random streamer on Twitch finished it that people found out that it was for Silent Hills, which would have been a big deal even if it would be bad because of the people involved. It's the only time a game has ever been announced like that, and Konami trying to get rid of it is just a sad display that shows how little they actually care about it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:34:47 am by TimmiT »

Offline George

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:14 pm »
er why do people think games are scary? Have you been scared by a game?

Honestly, I have had some jump scares but I never played a game and went "OH wwow I'm so scared'. I'm a fucking adult. Just give me a good survival horror or horror game with puzzles that is entertaining.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:17 am »
I find games scary in the moment, but it's not as though I am physically afraid to play a game or the fear seems into real life. To be honest, RE:CV is a scary game because if you die you have to go back to the last save point. I find that scary in any game...

BTW George, remember in our Isolation live stream when you were fucking around trying to get on the transport and then the alien rushed in like a guy about to miss his train and killed you? lol, that wasn't scary so much as funny and surprising.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2015, 09:28:49 am »
George, I think you just haven't played a good horror game. :V

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50:32 am »
er why do people think games are scary? Have you been scared by a game?

Honestly, I have had some jump scares but I never played a game and went "OH wwow I'm so scared'. I'm a fucking adult. Just give me a good survival horror or horror game with puzzles that is entertaining.

You could say the same for any form of media then.
I think it's possible for a game or anything else to elicit a sense of fear.

RE:CV is a scary game because if you die you have to go back to the last save point. I find that scary in any game...
That's every RE game until RE4 was all 'We want the Call of Duty Audience'.

Offline George

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 12:14:10 pm »
I guess I haven't, but I have played Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2, loved it. Didn't find it scary. Maybe I'm just too mustachioed.

Konami on its future:
"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.
"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."
"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."
"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."
"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."
"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/35xubt/konamis_new_ceo_mobile_is_the_future_of_gaming_is/