Author Topic: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!  (Read 39038 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 03:29:18 pm »
Godzilla is good then? I heard he's only in the movie as a cameo for about ten minutes.

So... Basically a Japanese Godzilla film!

Without trying to spoil too much it is true you don't get to see a lot of Godzilla in the film. By my timing he is roughly in the film for around 22 - 30 mins tops however he is spaced out through out the duration of the film but when he does appear his presence more or less is some of the best moments I've seen in a big blockbuster film, comparable to when Hulk smashing that giant worm snake thing in Avengers. That's basically Godzilla whenever he's in a scene.

The human element is where I can see what causes most people's dislike on the film. Personally I liked it, it wasn't amazing but that's not what I came for (Though there is still scope to do an amazing character development in a Godzilla film, but I fear we would need to have a film well over the 2 hours and 30 minute mark to accomplish that) it just adds to the spectacle that is Godzilla when he arrives and (spoiler) the monsters he faces off against (/spoiler) by showing us how utterly useless humanity is against him.

If you ever liked any of the original Japanese Godzilla films (Or any kaiju film) you should end up liking this film. Just be warned the film is nothing like the trailers might have suggested to you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:13:08 pm by Aki-at »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 05:01:46 pm »
Seriously, he wasn't in the film for too long, but that's what made it great because when you did see em you got super pumped.

It was like when i was a kid and i used to skip to all of the scenes where Peter Parker was in his Spidey suit in Spider-Man comics, it brought me back, haha.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 09:31:43 am »
So... Basically a Japanese Godzilla film!

I've never watched a Godzilla movie in my life.
Fite me

EDIT: Just remembered I have seen the US remake piece of shit that came out in 1999 or whatever. But it was so shit I've forgotten almost literally everything about it, except for 'LOL What is it, the Virgin Lizard LOL! XD"

That probably makes you want to fight me even more.

I'll try and catch this new movie on the weekend maybe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:33:41 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »
Also the trailers make it look like Brian Kranston is the main character.  Without giving anything away... He's not.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »
I don't really care, everything from the 1970's is as good as television/film is going to get. Everything after that is just one big funnel of bordem, and super-commercial antics.

Their are some good films out their like "Clerks 2" and maybe even "Black Swan".

Take the "Evil Dead" comeback. It barely feels like Evil Dead or the original Evil Dead. It doesn't even feel like "Rave to the Grave/Return of the living Dead", where it was lame, with the young adult antics, but at the same time it is more watchable then anything nowadays.

I've never watched a Godzilla movie in my life.
Fite me

EDIT: Just remembered I have seen the US remake piece of shit that came out in 1999 or whatever. But it was so shit I've forgotten almost literally everything about it, except for 'LOL What is it, the Virgin Lizard LOL! XD"

I know the feeling, you sometimes ask yourself, what is so special about a giant green dinosaur, that is not Barney, and babybop ( how do I have this evil in my head ). The best one is the 1985 version of Godzilla featuring some of the original cast, from the earlier and original film. It took Godzilla to a whole new level and even featured an Indiana Jones spoof ( everything have at least one Indian Jones spoof, including "Final Fantasy Adventure", Sonic, and Crash, etc ).

I am wondering if they did the same thing with the 1999 one? The big issue with that Godzilla is that, the US army took him out, and Godzilla was so tiny-tiny, so basically it was the bad ending ( thank gosh was never made ), of "Jurrasic Park III". You know the mommy T-Rex being killed off, along with the baby. I just hope Godzilla marches on the White House, or Pentagon, or even Area 51, and we see Godzuki ( yes their is another Godzilla, a familiar called Godzuki ).

I am 100% betting this movie is going to be like the, transformer, film. You know where the Transformers, are fighting all over the place, and everybody is running for their lives. You know a perspective from the "actors" ( population ) point of view, of the Transformers. So far that is what I see with the demo's. By the end of the movie, you barely see any real action.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:25:16 pm by RegalSin »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 12:08:37 am »
After watching Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, I get a little more about how people say the recent Godzilla is paying homage to older Godzilla movies.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 07:39:12 am »
Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Was very much impressed. Go see this one instead of Amazing Spiderman 2.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:00 pm »
Maleficent, Edge of Tomorrow, and How to Train Your Dragon 2 are scoring pretty well so far? Maybe this summer won't be that much of a dud after all.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 08:05:56 am »
Caught Days of Future Past, loved it! Favorite movie of the Summer thus far, and doubt it'll be beat.

Despite the inconsistencies between movies, and the few bad entries in the franchise, I've always been a fan of the X-Men films. I'll even go as far as saying I like the X-Men movie franchise more than Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe. I guess the reason is that I find several of the X-Men movies to be much better standalone films than the Marvel movies are. I feel that without the heavy universe building and overly produced method of movie making that the Cinematic Universe movies employ, it just leads to better films on the X-Men side of things. I enjoy X2, First Class, The Wolverine, and DOFP more than any of the Disney Marvel movies.

Anyway, regarding DOFP, I think why I liked it so much was because it was the perfect sequel to X-Men: The Last Stand AND First Class. It was a fourth movie and a second movie, which is a crazy concept, but it worked. I hated The Last Stand, mainly because it was overly cheesy, rushed, and too many characters were needlessly killed off. But, amazingly, DOFP fixed just about everything! It even made The Last Stand watchable again. Sure I still don't care for the movie in the sense that it is cheesy and rushed (a 100 minute movie which is meant to be the big third act? What the fuck?), but at least all the needless deaths are now more like motivation for movies like The Wolverine and DOFP, and (SPOILER ALERT) the deaths are undone and the characters are alive and well. Now I can happily look back on the original three movies and the ending to this one and feel like the early 2000's X-Men movies have a solid resolution.

On the First Class side of things, I'm now very much anticipating the next movie. I think they did a great job setting up the past cast in First Class, and DOFP did a good job progressing them. What I hope Apocalypse does (and it is all but confirmed) is build the X-Men team with younger actors playing Jean, Cyclops, and Storm. We could, conceivably, have Prof. X, Beast, Jean, Cyclops, and Storm in their prime! It's just a shame that Iceman and Colossus are only little kids in the 80's in the X-Men movie universe, but adding Quicksilver and Nightcrawler (thanks to the new timeline) to the team could be cool.

---

I'd rate and rank the X-Men movies like this:

X2 - 10/10
X-Men: First Class - 9/10
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10
The Wolverine - 9/10
X-Men - 8/10
X-Men: The Last Stand - 6/10 (5/10 before seeing DOFP)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 4/10

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 08:34:19 am »
I loved Godzilla! I'd never watched any of the originals, aside from that 1998 one I don't remember that well. I did feel like I got Metal Gear Solid 2'd though with regards to the main character of the movie based on the trailers...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 09:57:51 am »
I watched Gamera: Guardian of the Universe from 1995, a reboot of the old Gamera movies. I highly recommend it! Still pretty goofy, but it's a solid kaiju flick that takes itself more seriously than not and has some great scenes. A few scenes feel straight out of Jurassic Park, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEEOulaO7Y

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
The Heisei era of Godzilla and Gamera films are some of my favourite kaiju films.

The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1984) vs Biolantte/King Ghidorah/Destroyah and the heisei Gamera trilogies are all great films to watch if you love giant monsters.

I loved Godzilla! I'd never watched any of the originals, aside from that 1998 one I don't remember that well. I did feel like I got Metal Gear Solid 2'd though with regards to the main character of the movie based on the trailers...

You and Piro have excellent tastes in films.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:12 am »
The Heisei era of Godzilla and Gamera films are some of my favourite kaiju films.

Agreed. It's a shame that, at least in the US, Gamera 3: Awakening of Irys on blu-ray has fucked up subtitles. Words are out of synch with dialogue and some lines are ignored. Still, from what I've read, the third one isn't all that great. If you live in the US, this is a must get: http://www.amazon.com/Trilogy-Guardian-Universe-Revenge-Blu-ray/dp/B005ENCIWG/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1401293076&sr=1-3&keywords=gamera+blu

Three modern Gamera movies on blu-ray for $7!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
How is it that Edge of Tomorrow let reviews out earlier than a movie like Maleficent?

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »

The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1984) vs Biolantte/King Ghidorah/Destroyah and the heisei Gamera trilogies are all great films to watch if you love giant monsters.

You and Piro have excellent tastes in films.

Haha, well thank you, sir.

Anyone else catching Maleficent this weekend? My wife is super pumped about it. I got to see a 10 minute teaser at California Adventure at Disneyland Resort over the weekend and it seems pretty good.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88