Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Shining Series

(1/47) > >>

Skateboard:
I’m new to this forum, so first of all - Hi to everybody!

The reason why I registered are the comments from Aki-at about the Shining series at the recent Shining Hearts article . So here are my questions:

1. I once started a topic at SFC regarding the sales figures of Shining games, because I wanted to compare the titles where the Takahashi brothers were involved with the post-Camelot games. Since nobody had sales figures at SFC I had to search the net and was not pleased with the result I got. I’m surprised about the figures you posted and would like to adopt them with their original source, if that’s ok? Do you even have more figures about the series?

Here is the topic (BTW I am not a native speaker):
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/i ... =14778&hl=

2. I’m even more surprised about the statement: “...SEGA have asked Camelot a few times to develop a new Shining game for them, alas to no success”, as it is contrary to what I had thought and I think it is widely believed by the Shining fans that SEGA are the ones hindering a new Camelot title, while Camelot still would like to make them. For my part I don’t know what to think... Creditable sources on this topic are rare or non existence… However, there was this interview with Camelot, which is from 2007, if I remember correctly:

Hiroyuki Takahashi says: “There are also many requests to make Shining Force III. At one stage we got a petition with many signatures to make a new Shining Force game. This was sent to Sega, Nintendo and Camelot. There are a lot of people that want us to make that game as well. We don’t know what form it would take, but we want to answer the requests of the fans.”

So when did SEGA ask Camelot? And how often?

CrazyT:
Hello and welcome to the forums Skateboard. I don't really have answers to any of your questions. I just wanted to say that you made the right choice in joining this awesome forum!!

Hope you'll have a great time.

Just to say something on topic. It's sad to see the direction they have taken with the shining series. I was a big fan of the early 3 shining force series and the other shining games on the saturn. The market just ain't that big for their existance sadly. I do believe if they ever did make a shining force 4, they would have to put a lot of thought into what they could do to make it apeal to more gamers. Kind of like how valkyria chronicles brought the SRPG genre in a whole new style.

I think they would have to do more than just a new shining force with updated visuals.

Aki-at:
For sales figures, see;

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/2 ... a-rar.html - Famitsu sales

Sales for the Mega Drive are not available, but considering the lacklustre sale of the console itself. I doubt very much was sold. Please completely ignore VGChartz sales, they are not reliable and make up information majority of the time.

As for SEGA asking, it's information I've gather from Japanese fans, such as Storm and I believe that, in particular Shining Soul, which used a great deal of original people, that SEGA tried it and still wanted to go down that route until they dropped it in the end.

Sega Uranus:
As far as I know, Shining games now are more profitable in Japan than they ever were and have much lower budgets to boot, why would they want to change this format? They also make a good bit selling the models of the characters too.

The biggest reason SEGA wants to try to get back with Camelot or just try making sRPGs again is because they were regarded much more highly, and the fans strongly prefer the original series.

I used to consider the Shining series one of SEGA's best ever and with more potential than almost all of them - Now I have kind of gotten over how they will never be like that ever again. I have moved on. It is not that bad of a fate, at least the Golden Sun games exist.

Team Andromeda:
I wouldn't hold your breath on SEGA working with Camelot every again. I seen a interview with the head of Camelot in Games TM detailing how they were treated by SEGA at the end of the Saturn, it wasn't good reading (late payments, no help with R&D and poor ) basically Camelot lost money making the last couple of Saturn games,  It when on to say how Camelot was personally upset that on the unveiling of Dreamcast in Japan ,  Camelot wasn't invited as guests at all, unlike many 1st and 3rd party partners that did well on the Saturn.

In Camelot owns words, that day was the day they knew they'll never work with SEGA again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version