Author Topic: Do any of you know who "Opa-Opa" is/was???  (Read 18178 times)

Offline east of eastside

• Total Meseta: 0
Do any of you know who "Opa-Opa" is/was???
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:09 am »
Just curious..

I'm not referring to the Sega character Opa-Opa, duh.

I'm talking about a legendary Sega fan well known to those on Gaming Age boards 10 years ago infamous for events like his meltdown when DC was canceled and his subsequent forming of a board of hardcore Sega loving psychos, and other representatives of failed humanity, Opa-Age.

I didn't even know if he was alive or around but I found him on his own board recently and asked him if he was still a Sega fan and whether he would be getting Yakuza.  I LOL when he told me he does not play games on Sony platforms. He said he was still a Sega fan but they hadn't made a good game since 2002.. we've heard that one before. :roll:

That is how hardcore psycho the old Sega elitists Jedi Nerds of the old days were.  I doubt too many of you can imagine not getting a high profile Sega game because it is on PS3 and Sony killed the DC, or whatever.

I have tempered my own Sega extremism but I look tame compared to those guys.  There is a real contrast between the old Sega fans of internet lore and you more forgiving and accepting modern ones.

I think it is funny the questions I get asked sometimes about my views when some of the more recent Sega fans are probably unaware to what Sega fans were on the internet back then.  They were feared to say the least.. :x
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Show Yakuza love and pick up a custom banner here:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=313960

Offline Waffle

• Banned
Re: Do any of you know who "Opa-Opa" is/was???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:25:37 am »
What in the blimey blue phack are you talking about?

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:21:28 am »
I don't know of the man you speak of but since we're on the topic of missing internet identities, do any of you guys remember the old cloud chaser forums. If you do, do you remember SEGA Dojo?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:59:45 am »
Never heard of the guy... 10 years ago I had only just had the internet maybe a year or two.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:05:40 am »
Quote from: "east of eastside"
I doubt too many of you can imagine not getting a high profile Sega game because it is on PS3 and Sony killed the DC, or whatever.
What do you mean? This is my daily bread.

I have to be honest, when I'm here talking to you guys I have no problem discussing Sega games on all platforms or whatever other subject and saying what I think it's wrong with Sega and such.
But when it comes to talking about Sega in other forums/real life, I'll defend it with all my might. I've converted all of my best friends to Sega fans and I've punched people for trash-talking the Dreamcast.
Everyone knows that as soon as they start talking about games near me the conversation will soon turn into how Sega is great and how Sony and Nintendo are teh evilz.

. . . though Nintendo has some of the best Sega games on it's console, so I don't usually go that road..
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:54:30 am »
HA! I remember Sega Dojo and the Cloud Chaser forums! I also remember Planet Dreamcast (which is dead, but can be found at the internet archive).

I wrote a few reader reviews for Sega Dojo, here's one I reposted at my blog: http://the-nomad-junkyard.blogspot.com/ ... sters.html

I also entered the Sonic Adventure 2 contest that they held (you had to tape your own 30 second commercial), but I lost. I did, however, get a cool Sonic 10th Anniversary logo pin.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:07 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Never heard of the guy... 10 years ago I had only just had the internet maybe a year or two.

I was just curious if you or George ever heard of the guy because he really was the well known Sega fan back in the old days.  I guess he has lingered around since DC was pulled but is staying low profile.

He used to live in LA and I think he tried to get a job interview at Sega once but he now resides in China, he is Chinese..

Quote from: "crackdude"
Quote from: "east of eastside"
I doubt too many of you can imagine not getting a high profile Sega game because it is on PS3 and Sony killed the DC, or whatever.
What do you mean? This is my daily bread.

I miss the old days. I wish you guys could have seen some of that, they were really (ask anybody from back then) holy wars, without any exaggeration.  Not for the timid.  Sega fans were easily the biggest psycho's and hated on everybody and were fiercely exclusively Sega loyal.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:24 am »
I think life is easier if you can change with the times.  

Not many people I knew had a Master System when the NES was around, but I wouldn't have made many friends if I had spent all my time arguing about SEGA being better.  I think the anonymity of the internet has turned a lot of regular people into jerks.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »
Who wanted friends when they were all playing Nintendo?
I mean seriously..  :roll:
SEG4GES

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
HA! I remember Sega Dojo and the Cloud Chaser forums! I also remember Planet Dreamcast (which is dead, but can be found at the internet archive).

I wrote a few reader reviews for Sega Dojo, here's one I reposted at my blog: http://the-nomad-junkyard.blogspot.com/ ... sters.html

I also entered the Sonic Adventure 2 contest that they held (you had to tape your own 30 second commercial), but I lost. I did, however, get a cool Sonic 10th Anniversary logo pin.

Yep I was a part of SEGA Dojo and Cloud Chaser forums too. I used to use the member name "Fujiawa Sensei"

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »
Sega used to be a religion and polytheism, I mean multiplaform gaming, wasn't part of it.