Author Topic: Mortal Kombat X  (Read 4604 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Mortal Kombat X
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:46 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4faAvsMMpFg&hd=1

General discussion of this game go go go go go.

I kinda want to try it out, but I generally don't like MK.
I think they did a great job on this trailer, should get some good attention from non-FG fans even. I wonder if it will translate to sales? (I kind of am coming around to see George's argument that Sega should try this with VF, advertise it as something else and see if it sticks).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:47:23 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Mortal Kombat X
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:40:00 pm »
Meh,

What MK has become just doesn't appeal to me anymore. The gore and shock of MK worked better when it there was some mystery to it. The setting of a generational tournament is a perfect setup for that mystique. Now, it's all giant war between worlds, armies, hypergore, etc. It's lost all its shock now and looks pretty generic. I can't name you any of the characters in the trailer anymore. I saw like 10 dudes there that could be Scorpion.

Also that trailer's song choice just doesn't work for me.

BTW, This is coming from a guy who was OBSESSED with the first 2 games (and 3 to a lesser extent).

VF should stay FAR away from this model of game marketing.

If you ask me, the one fighter that's doing it right that VF should emulate is Killer Instinct.

Killer Instinct is using Character Intros as their trailers, each one tail-ended with a teaser for the next character. Just enough story line without going overboard. It showcases the character's story, their combat, their stage, and the theme used for the stage. Perfect for VF if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63q8picjUMM

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »
I dunno for me MK was the video game equivalent of Rob Liefeld, just over the top 90's cheese. I felt like the trailer kind of did that pretty well. I just found it particularly interesting that this trailer shows pretty much zero gameplay, but would probably win over a lot of fans.

Should have used the movie's theme song IMO. That's always perfect.

Worth nothing that I think MK did the same style character trailers before this one as KI.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:50:44 pm »
I agree with the cheesy factor. Though Mortal Kombat games offer what most fans want: A big single player with tons of optional modes that unlock a ton of features that you will spend hours and hours in. They might not have the greatest net code, fighting system and what not.

I see the appeal, its just not for me and not for full price. I might get it when its like... on sale as the GOTY.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:00:30 pm »
^I agree, I'm hoping I can play it a bit with friends to see what I think of it, but I don't think I want to drop $60 on it just yet.

Offline Randroid

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 01:18:24 pm »
Should have used the movie's theme song IMO. That's always perfect.

Yes, but Dub Step remix. Day One Buy.

Worth nothing that I think MK did the same style character trailers before this one as KI.

True. MK has always had creative marketing. As I say this right now, I'm remembering that live action MK2 commercial. Christ I'm old.

Offline Randroid

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:56:00 pm »
Not trying to prove a point. I was joking earlier and truly thought using the movie theme in the trailer would legitimately be terrible, but another forum had this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDkxTDYrwk

:P :P

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:53 am »
It's out today, anyone buying it/bought it?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:01:36 am »
I like MK fighting mechanics because they are simple enough that anyone can have fun playing with friends.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:14 pm »
Been seeing the game and it seems too much like Tekken in terms of mechanic (aka get one hit in to set up a combo and juggle them, but if you built a combo breaker you get out). Not terrible just think juggling infinite combos are boring.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:24 am »
I got around to finally trying this game out legit last night. It's actually really fun. I was playing Erron Black and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the game. It's very strange to play coming from KoF and VF, if only for the amount of buttons.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 10:33:35 pm »
Can't wait to see how Predator turns out.