Author Topic: Ben Plato's 2014 Niche Dreamcast 2 petition suddenly picks up Steam!!  (Read 66285 times)

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Ben Plato's 2014 Niche Dreamcast 2 petition suddenly picks up Steam!!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 04:01:35 am »
Signed.
Even though I'm pessimist about this...

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 03:15:32 pm »
Nearing 22,000 sigs and still going. The Shenmue 3 group's endorsement is what got it going.

Also Project-Dream.com is coming soon. It'll be a new conduit for SEGA fans to share ideas and testimonials about what they'd like to see in a new Sega platform.(With discussions with actual OEM companies).

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »
Just got finished with a chat with the man behind the Shenmue 3 KS on FB.

I'm going to be joining him and Plato forming this new circle.

We've got some proposals and prospects for Sega that may actually work and prove successful in the target market.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:40:53 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »
Cool. When the three of you cough up about a billion dollars to SEGA, you're nearly there.

Let me know how it goes etc.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 09:15:52 pm »
Cool. When the three of you cough up about a billion dollars to SEGA, you're nearly there.

Let me know how it goes etc.

It's not going to cost billions. More like $400-500 million.

About the same budget as DC(which was the lowest budgeted console project Sega ever made.)

Offline Tad

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 09:28:17 pm »
The console will, but you'll need controllers, R&D, online systems, contracts with hardware companies, exclusive games and marketing. It'll soon add up. If you have 500 million on the three of you, that's great though. SEGA will be pleased.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:31:36 pm by Tad »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 09:43:40 pm »
The console will, but you'll need controllers, R&D, online systems, contracts with hardware companies, exclusive games and marketing. It'll soon add up. If you have 500 million on the three of you, that's great though. SEGA will be pleased.

We know that already. Plus SEGA already has money. $11.6 billion in cash flow(even more than they had in 1993) because they haven't spent very much on R&D the past 5 years.(Because they've been releasing less,less and less console titles and more and more mobile titles there's no telling how much equity they've saved up.)
http://www.morningstar.com/stocks/PINX/SGAMY/quote.html

Plus, its not going to be traditional console at all. Not aimed at the traditional market in anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:46:43 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Tad

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 01:32:24 am »
Then what is it going to be?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 07:41:56 am »
The actual man behind the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter or the fan who made a petition and thinks he was responsible for the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter?

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 02:38:50 pm »

He thinks there is some market of casual gamers who love mobile games but want a console to play mobile-like games but not the current consoles that are out there, based on his previous posts. Or some niche machine that plays old Sega material and new stuff. It's hard to follow. It was funny at first but it's starting to get annoying. He thinks being able to recite Sega's finances in every post makes him somewhat less delusional about the whole situation.

Offline Tad

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »
Huh. If that's the market he's aiming for, then it doesn't exist nor would I want SEGA to go for it personally.  Nintendo managed to target it with the Wii, but at a huge cost to their reputation and fans.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 02:57:39 pm »

Either a $250-300 Steam-like machine(its easy to find PC OEM parts cheaper,BETTER optimized and more powerful than AMD Jaguar, because mind you, Jaguar is basically just Bulldozer with better optimization and an R10 GPU, with a max performance of 256 MBs of 8 GBs of GDD5 RAM which is on par with Intel Duo-Core Wolfdale a Desktop CPU from 2008. That is truly pathetic.)

Or a Netbook/Ultrabook style game console with built in OLED tech,Keyboard,SDHC slot,CEC/HDMI port, Wireless mouse USB functionality, wireless Saturn and 6 Button Dreamcast controllers and with it being about only '12 inches and 3X6 width, it'll be pretty appealing to the target market.

And Barry, yes Bertie is the man who started the Shenmue 3 campaign. He RUNS and owns and manages the Shenmue 500K website. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with him yesterday and he told me which others helped him and how they got Suzuki on board.

He thinks there is some market of casual gamers who love mobile games but want a console to play mobile-like games but not the current consoles that are out there, based on his previous posts. Or some niche machine that plays old Sega material and new stuff. It's hard to follow. It was funny at first but it's starting to get annoying. He thinks being able to recite Sega's finances in every post makes him somewhat less delusional about the whole situation.
I detect quite alot of salt in your post.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:13:01 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Tad

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 03:35:50 pm »
So, just to clarify, you're not saying a console to compete with PS4/XBO as such. Just a steam machine like system built to work with SEGA games and anything else that hit it's requirements?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:39:55 pm by Tad »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »
Huh. If that's the market he's aiming for, then it doesn't exist nor would I want SEGA to go for it personally.  Nintendo managed to target it with the Wii, but at a huge cost to their reputation and fans.

It does exist. It's an unexplored market with lots of untapped potential. Sega is outsourcing Sega Networks,Inc and expanding Sega Amusements globally for a reason.

People said the same thing about iPhone back in 2006. That there were no market for it. That nobody was going to by a $300 digital phone. That Apple was going to fail. That iPhone was going to be the biggest blunder since the Pippin.

Journalists at Summer CES in June 1985 said the same thing about the NEW Nintendo Entertainment System. That Video Games were a fad that had come and gone. That the makers of Donkey Kong had no chance. That retailers HATED video games and would certainly REFUSE to accept the NES.

Do you know why both these products succeeded? T-E-S-T- M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. That's how you find out of there's a market for a product. iPhone underwent Test Marketing exclusively in the Silicon Valley area during the Holiday 2006 prior to its Nationwide Rollout of Spring 2007.

Word of mouth on how revolutionary the product was paid off. Consumers listened to each other, not what a website journalist told them.

The NES debuted in the Mid Atlantic Area on October 18,1985, 3 weeks later it was rolled out across select heavily populated parts of the US before its became widely available during Christmas-time and before it finally hit Canada and smaller US regions on February 18,1986. Word-of-Mouth, again helped put it on the map. Consumers giving their own reviews on it. Calling retailers and demanding it. Writing to Newspapers and News Stations.

Regarding Wii, Nintendo under Iwata launched a weak,outdated piece of hardware. Of course there was a reputation because they didn't do anything new or revolutionary. They just recycled Gamecube and redesigned it with a gimmick, that's it.

SEGA would not do the same thing. They'd explore an untapped market and provide them a BETTER powered,cheaper console than PS4 to a market yearning for a product that costs less and has actual games that are both affordable and worth owning.

So, just to clarify. You're not saying a console to compete with PS4/XBO as such. Just a steam machine like system built to work with SEGA games and anything else with that hit it's requirements?

Correct. SEGA doesn't need to compete against PS4/Xbox One in any way,shape or form. The traditional console market is not the ONLY market out there. Plus its cheap and very easy to put out a product much better and more powerful than the both of them anyway.

A Steam-like device would be HEAVILY embraced by PC gamers. They would WELCOME it with open arms especially if it were very affordable. The same thing with casual gamers. The price would help alot.

My idea would also work both ways too. Especially with Japanese consumers who are so mobile and portable dedicated.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:48:13 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Tad

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »
Hmm, well, I can see it getting a small following, but that's about it. Why? Because PC gamers (like me) are already tech savvy to have the hardware capable of running most things - at least to a certain standard with a budget. As I said before, I'd welcome them to create a Steam like service and controllers (though, MS basically nicked and refined their controller with xbox), but I'm not sure anything else would be needed right now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:03:06 pm by Tad »