Author Topic: Avatar Legends - anybody play this XBLA indie game?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Avatar Legends - anybody play this XBLA indie game?
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:30:35 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4SlIQs-o6I

It released mid-2011, but I'm just discovering it now. It's a pretty awesome RPG maker, and for only $3 it's a must own for anybody who likes to make their own games but don't want to be encumbered by an incredibly confusing system.

Within my first day of playing it, I managed to build a detailed map complete with hills, lakes, trees, houses, bridges and paths (maps can link together, so you could conceivably create a massive world). I created a story with pre-set points where a story text box (presented as a fancy scroll) would appear, set NPCs with detailed conversations including multiple choice questions and side quests as well as creating a main quest consisting of multiple objectives.

The only real drawbacks that I've found are that you're restricted to using XBOX avatars as NPC characters, so your friends, accounts on your console (though you can create dummy accounts and design avatars outside of the game, then insert them into the game) and a randomized avatar button. Enemies are varied, but it's mostly trolls, orcs, skeletons and monsters. You can, however, choose from a number of skins and change the stats of the enemies, creating an army of different looking baddies. Props, buildings and items are the usual adventure/fantasy stuff with a medieval look but the dev did also stick in all the props from their Avatar Golf game, so there are lighthouses, homes, boats and other crazy things.

The best part of the game, aside from the easy to use but deep game maker, is the ability to share games with friends. Don't think two people can trade off a file to build together, but you can make games and share them.

It's an awesome indie title, and if anybody has it or is interested in getting it, I'd love to share games with somebody! Oh yeah, and you can make multiplayer maps too, for online play.  8) I'm thinking of making a SEGAbits RPG with it, considering all the forum members I have on my friends list.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Avatar Legends - anybody play this XBLA indie game?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
SegaBITS RPG would be amazing. People were kicking that idea around since the old SegaNerds days (when we had that horrible forum layout from the early 90's). I think the last boss was suggested as TA's and Joe's posts combining to form one evil being, who's weaknesses were proper grammar and sentance structure.

In any event I would probably try this out, but I'm 99% certain Indie Arcade is only available in USA, so...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Avatar Legends - anybody play this XBLA indie game?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »
Aw, yeah, just did some checking and found that these countries support indie games:
U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Singapore and Spain

Went to the XBOX UK site and found that the game is there, but not in your country. :(

Would love to see a TA/Joe end boss!