Author Topic: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!  (Read 79900 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2012, 03:54:30 am »
Aquaman #1's the only New 52 issue I bought. What are some more good ones?
I liked the concept of Justice League one. I read the Detective Comic one and it was OK. Batgirl is another I read and was surprise I liked. Its like her trying to be like Batman, but having big flaws that come to get her in the issue. Like being scared of guns, not good if you are fighting criminals.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 11:41:22 am »
Aquaman #1's the only New 52 issue I bought. What are some more good ones?
- Batman is probably the best title of the bunch
- Green Lantern is just as solid as it was pre-relaunch. The whole Sinestro and Hal dynamic really adds a lot.
- I'm right there with George on Batgirl. Really solid stuff.
- Nightwing's been pretty good. I'd mostly reccommend it for fans of the character. I don't know if it'll do a whole lot for people who aren't invested in Dick Grayson at all.
- Justice League has just kept getting better. Jim Lee's art in it is really great.
- Justice League Dark is pretty good too. Some very interesting characters in some really messed up situations.
- The Flash has been pretty impressive. It's introduced some really interesting concepts, and the art is gorgeous.
- Wonder Woman has this kind of Buffy meets God of War vibe going for it.
- I've only read the last two issues of Detective Comics, but it really hasn't been doing it for me. If you want a Batman book, stick with Scott Snyder's  Batman.

Offline George

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »
Yeah, Detective Comics wasn't all there. I also suggest checking out Action Comics reboot, they did a fantastic job. Made it feel like watching a Superman movie. At least to me.

My brother really likes Nightwing. If you like 'anti-heroes' I suggest Deathstroke. I wish the Grifter was better, I was a big fan of WildC.A.T.S. growing up over at Image. Along with The Maxx, Young Blood and Bloodwulf.

Also the following 6 titles of the new 52 will be canceled after issue 8: Men of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C, Hawk and Dove, Black Hawks and Static Shock.

Why I think they got low sales?

Men of War - This isn't a super hero comic. This is soldiers that live in times of super heroes. You always wonder why people hate Super Man, this is their side. Too bad its not very good and doesn't make me want to read the next issue.

Mister Terrific - Terrible name first of all. Also a black main character. This hero is based on science and imo lacked personality. I didn't give a shit about him in the first issue.

O.M.A.C. - A dude gets taken over by some evil computer, when it takes over he turns into O.M.A.C. a super powerful fin looking dude that takes orders like a zombie. Sorta the DC comics version of The Hulk without the great writing lol.

Hawk and Dove - The concept for this might have worked a long time ago. Basically Hawk = aggressive and Dove = peace maker. They are suppose to even themselves out. The first Dove, Hawk's brother died. In the first issue Hawk has to deal with his death and basically hates the new Dove. The new Dove, which is a woman, is keeping secrets about her brother and her. Ideas are there, don't think users got past the cheesy name/gimmick.

Static Shock - Hum... this was a TV show? Defiantly a wasted spot for something good. The first issue has some group of people planning to take down Static Shock cuz he is a cool kid with a tude.

I have not read Black Hawk yet. I'm still reading through the first 52 issues. As for the ones that MadeMan suggest I agree with Green Lantern, Justic League and the negative thing about Detective Comics. The others is not that I disagree, its that I have not read them yet. I'm doing them in release order. I'm actually on Red Lanterns then I read Resurrection Man and Suicide Squad etc. Worse issue I have read? Legion Lost.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:39:30 pm by George »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »
Does Deathstroke have a monthly? He seems like a character I'd be interested in.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »
The Deathstroke title is monthly title.
Rob Liefeld is taking over art and writing for the series as of issue 9. I'm pretty sure it's an arc with Lobo.

Also, yeah. Action Comics is quite good.

Offline George

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
I think you will like it MadeMan, his first issue is badass.

Rob Liefeld, wtf? I read he is drawing (he sucks) and writing Deathstroke now and writing Grifter and Savage Hawkman. Fucking hell..

Hawk and Dove got canceled and DC gives him 3 series? Dude is outdated. His art for Hawk and Dove wasn't bad, but the way the story was written was meh.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:03:45 pm by George »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »

Rob Liefeld, wtf? I read he is drawing (he sucks) and writing Deathstroke now and writing Grifter and Savage Hawkman. Fucking hell..

Yeah, his art is pretty awful: http://www.anawfulart.com/captain-america-by-rob-liefeld/

Offline George

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »
Rob Liefeld can be good or bad. He has some are that's great, but he is not constant with it. I think having 3 series on DC is going to make him get fucking sloppy as hell.

I have some respect for the dude, he is basically the 90's. I know he turned in some sloppy ass shit, but also had some pretty good issues and it seems the dude finally figured out how to draw feet.

Here is a good panel, he has gotten better. He is always going to do musclemen, that is what super hero comics are... just as long as they don't look deformed.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22:54 pm »
I'll have to check out Deathstroke then, any chance the TPB is out yet? Also, I had no idea leifield was still working, but everything I've ever heard about him has been negative.

Offline George

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:22 am »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2012, 01:01:16 am »
A few books I recently finished:

Offline SOUP

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2012, 08:36:45 am »
@Chaosmaster8753: I love Ranma 1/2 :D.
It took me a while, but I managed to get all 36 volumes. Really great stuff.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2012, 04:52:15 am »
Oh man, Kingdom Come is fantastic!

I've heard that one page (YOU KNOW THE ONE) as being described as 'the most pants-shittingly awesome page in comic books'. And I'm inclined to agree.

By a single bolt of lightning.... Armageddon has arrived.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »
A few stories I recently finished:

Offline SOUP

« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:02 am »
A few stories I recently finished:

How were the Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories?
I've heard a lot of good things, but haven't been able to track them down.