Author Topic: The films of 2013 of Wolverines, Kryptons, Stars & billionaire industrialists.  (Read 35068 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Seeing it tomorrow night, I'll be sure to post my comments here. :)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
It is out today in the US, in Portugal I will only be able to see it on June 27th. I was super excited about the Man of Steel, but I'm not getting a good vibe from Rotten Tomatoes.com.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
A character like Superman has 75 years of history, so I think a lot of people have this vision of what Superman is supposed to be that this film might go against that. I'm open to a new interpretation, and I'm looking forward to the movie. From what I've read, long standing things from the series have been changed but it fits this telling of the story. No different from The Dark Knight.

7:40pm tomorrow I'll know for sure!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Saw Man of Steel last night. I loved it. It was as different from Superman: The Movie as Batman Begins was different from Batman '89, but both are great in their own ways. This is a different, darker, Superman film. The strongest aspect of the film, I thought, was the effort they put into Krypton. The costumes, design, and architecture of the planet was very unique and quite beautiful. It was sad to see it all destroyed. The aesthetic was very much Art Nouveau inspired, with a touch of 1930s science fiction aesthetics.

I liked that the story was non linear, as you get to Superman much faster than you would had the film played out like the 1978 film. The final third of the film was FINALLY an all out superhuman brawl in a Superman film. Makes Superman II look like a joke.

The final fight scene is controversial and might make or break the film for some... But I think it worked. Superman has the power of choice, and I think he made the right one as much as it may have hurt him.

I'd give it a 9/10. About on par with the 1978 film, better than all the other films. At the very end I was immediately ready for the next film, much like the final scene in Skyfall.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
I may be in the minority with this, but I honestly think Man of Steel was the worst superhero movie I've seen.

I could go on and on about how ridiculous it was to make Superman dark and edgy (traits that are the total opposite of the character), but there was just so much more wrong with it in my eyes.

First of all, literally half the movie had no plot. Like, it was just explosions and destruction. No story going on.

Then there's the fact that Superman just didn't even impress as a character. When I think of Superman, I think of these crazy and imaginative feats of strength that he performs. That's what makes Superman fun to watch, and it's been pretty much like this in every other version of him.

But in Man of Steel, there wasn't really any of this. Sure, they showed him fly around really fast and fly through stuff, but seeing him fly really fast through stuff got boring after the 147th time.

Forced romance with Lois Lane felt awkward. Enough said.

Stupid plot points that didn't even make any sense which I won't mention here due to spoilers.

No personality in the film whatsoever. Horrible ending. Completely ignored the traits of the character and almost seemed like an insult to the series.

I'm a big fan of superhero movies. Even the ones I didn't really like (like the recent Spider-Man movie), I find some aspects that I think are cool. But Man of Steel may be the only one I've seen where I honestly hate every aspect of it.

:))

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Your missing the point of the film. He hasn't become "Superman" yet, he's still learning to become that hero. He's making mistakes. Like fighting other super powered individuals in the city or in smallville where there are civilians and not being able to save them but also causing as much damage and destruction as the villians themselves. Which will make an intresting sequel if they go with the idea that half the public doesn't trust him because he's effectivly the cause on why the Kryptonians came to earth in the first place.

I thought the film was decent enough,some plot holes. Actually the fight scene and destruction was much more shall i say realistic than it was portrayed in Avengers and even the hulk. The alien force in that movie didn't seem to do that much damage which is nonsense when they are trying to take over the world and you have a hulk running around trying to stop them. Especially in a closed space city like New York.

I think the actress who played the Kryptonian subcommander was brilliant. Her character in my opinion stole the show. The film has enough going for it for me to be intrested in a sequel.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Well I have a few issues that bugged me with Man of Steel. First is:

spoilers:

Louis Lane had NO FUCKING character. Her character was so forced it was cringe worthy. I know, one character doesn't ruin the movie, so I'm not hating. But fuck, really? They could have literally added something in 5 minutes and made her character a bit relatable to females instead of "Well, this dude is soo weird and hot, I have to fuck him". The next is the first half felt too fast? Like, the pacing was really weird. Maybe they should have added '33 years later' and '2 years ago' or something when they switched times?

Also how did the miltary know what Krypton was when Clark never even spoke those words?

Offline max_cady

I saw The Man of Steel and I'm in Barry's corner on this one. I really had fun with the movie!

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
I liked the action and visuals in Man of Steal. Everything else like the editing, characters, story etc. not so much.

Offline max_cady

Wow, July is a really bad month for movies, it seems.

The Man of Steel started strong, but it fizzled out after WWZ (even that one is underperforming) The Lone Ranger's box office numbers are shocking, White House Down is living proof that you can't have two eerie similar films coming out in the same year. Olympus Has Fallen was made with half of WHD's budget.

Ouch...

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Wow, July is a really bad month for movies, it seems.

The Man of Steel started strong, but it fizzled out after WWZ (even that one is underperforming) The Lone Ranger's box office numbers are shocking, White House Down is living proof that you can't have two eerie similar films coming out in the same year. Olympus Has Fallen was made with half of WHD's budget.

Ouch...

On top of that, Pacific Rim is getting beaten by Despicable Me 2 on its second week and GROWN UPS 2.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
I've never really cared about box office numbers... unless I'm the one making money off it. :D But that's not the case. :P

Anyway, thus far this summer I've enjoyed Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 was fun at the time but in hindsight it was forgettable, haven't seen Star Trek 2 but will NetFlix it at this point. Same goes for Monsters U and Pacific Rim. Have no interest in Despicable Me 2, not even sure why I mentioned it. If The Wolverine gets good reviews I'll go see it.

Overall, a disappointing summer of movies. I typically gauge how much I enjoyed the summer movie season by how many blu-rays I feel the need to purchase come the fall/winter. As of now it is Man of Steel. Probably Monsters U, even if I haven't seen it, if only because I have all the Pixar movies on blu-ray. Might just blind buy it instead of going the Netflix route.

Offline max_cady

So far I've enjoyed Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 despiste my issues with it, Fast 6, Oz: The Great and Powerful...

Everything else, WWZ, for example, I've hated every single second of it. Star Trek Into Darkness was cool at first, but as the days went by, I realized that it wasn't a good flick.

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
PACIFIC MUTHA FUCKING RIM!!!

My God. If you haven't seen it already, go see Pacific Rim NOW! It is my favorite film of the year. The giant robot (Jaeger) vs. Kaiju action is soo well done. I saw it twice. Once in 3-D and a second time with my brother in 2-D today. I don't go to repeated views of movies unless I really, really enjoy them. The Avengers is the last one I saw twice.

Here's an "Attack on Titan" remix using trailer scenes that should get you hyped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-edq36_gk
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I want to see Pacific Rim! Guillermo del Toro is a great director. The only issue I have with him is he like attaches his name to like 40 great projects and does nothing. Pacific Rim is his first movie back in the directors chair since Hellboy 2.