Author Topic: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!  (Read 38995 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
2014 looks set to be a big year for films, but let's start with the number one film for the year; Legendary Pictures reboot of Toho's all time great... GODZILLA;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:30:23 pm »
2014 is no 2015, but there are quite a few that I'm looking forward to. Godzilla looks very cool, I'm also looking forward to the end of The Hobbit and the next X-Men film.

I'm not actually all that into the Marvel movies anymore. I'll watch 'em, but I don't rush to the theater to see them.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:02 pm »
Huh. I'm pretty neutral on this Godzilla reboot (we in America now?) though I found that sequence where the flares are shot oddly entrancing. But I will be all over a sequel with Godzuki.

Damn, there is nothing in theatres right now. I've already seen (and loved) Frozen. I need to start checking up on some more previews for 2014. None of the big names seem interesting to me.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »
The Wind Rises, The Muppets Most Wanted and The Grand Budapest Hotel release in March. They're actually the three films I'm most looking forward to this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQiGyBiNjLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:00:08 pm »
If you're looking for a movie to watch right now, check out the Robocop remake.

It's good. Real good. The trailer really doesn't represent what the movie is actually about when you watch it.

It's different from the original, but in a good way. Don't be fooled by the trailers. They make it look real dumb. Couldn't be further from what it is.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:25:43 pm »
I just want to see the new Captain America movie :)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:29:58 am »
There's very little that I want to see this Summer.

Captain America 2 is on my number one movie that I'm gunnin' for.
I'm also interested in the 300 sequel.

Other than that Gozilla, Transformers 4, Expendables 3, X-men and maybe the new Spiderman.

The new Ninja Turtles movie comes out this summer as well. I can only imagine how much of a trainwreck it will be.

Speaking of which, why do I get the impression that The Amazing Spiderman 2 is not going to fare well? I hardly hear people talkin' about it...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:59:11 am »
I am not a fan of the Amazing Spider-Man movies at all. The first was just too damn soon to reboot, plus it doesn't even tie into the Marvel Cinematic universe... so what's the point? The plot was shit, the editing was shit, the studio INTENTIONALLY removed important plot points to create a sense of mystery surrounding Peter and his parents. Granted with the scenes back in, I probably wouldn't have liked it any more than I did (which was not much), but at least it would be more coherent. Also, The Lizard was a total rehash of Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2.

More things I hated about it: the dialogue was too "off the cuff". People would mumble and stumble through awkward conversation because I guess awkwardness = comedy.

Thank this (thankfully) deleted scene for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvKRKR7ml-U

The sequel looks to have more of this nonsense, with the Aunt May/Peter conversation about the laundry. Oh, and Electro's storyline looks like something out of a Joel Schumacher Batman movie. Like The Riddler fused with Mr. Freeze.

Doesn't help that they not plan to release a Spider-Man film yearly.

Offline George

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »
It doesn't tie-in to the Marvel Universe, but neither did the last one. That is no reason to hate it. The thing I do hate about it, is that they do villains terrible. Spider-man and his actor are fine, I like the new actor better than Tobey Maguire, which I thought wasn't that great of an actor (neither is the new one but he is more silly and fits the role better).

Both movies weren't perfect. Was it too soon to reboot? The last one come out 2007, while the first Amazing Spider-Man movie came out in 2012. Half a decade seems fair to wait. The last Batman movie was 2012, with Bale. In 2016 they are rebooting him with Ben Affleck in Man of Steel 2: Batman vs Superman vs Wonder Woman vs Lex Luther (The kid from Social Network) and etc.

It sucks really, parts of Amazing Spiderman where great, others where terrible. They need better designers for villains, better back story writers for them as well.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 07:05:50 pm »
With how well "The LEGO Movie" is doing, I wonder how the rest of this years batch of animated films will hold up?

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
Both movies weren't perfect. Was it too soon to reboot? The last one come out 2007, while the first Amazing Spider-Man movie came out in 2012. Half a decade seems fair to wait. The last Batman movie was 2012, with Bale. In 2016 they are rebooting him with Ben Affleck in Man of Steel 2: Batman vs Superman vs Wonder Woman vs Lex Luther (The kid from Social Network) and etc.

Being really technical here, but I wouldn't consider the forthcoming Batman movie to be a reboot, unless they retread the origin story. All the 90's batman movies changed up their lead actors but remained quasi-continuous. I expect the new batman movie will do the same (then again maybe it won't).

This is something I really wish the Amazing Spider-man series did as well. You want to change the lead actors and direction team? Sure. But why, why go over the origin story again? On that basis alone, I just couldn't get into the new series. There are quite a few Spider-man storylines out there in the comics, why go over and (by critical review) ruin the same story lines.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:19 am »

Before I saw the trailer today... Disney's Maleficent didn't even register on my radar... but now, I'm actually excited for it.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:45 pm »
G-zilla is G-zilla. I do not think, anybody could actually replace the original Godzilla nore then 1985 version of it. The 2000 Tyranasaurous Rex G-zilla was bullcrap small, as well.

I hope it is not a remake, or bullcrap urine-stained reboot bullcrap, and they just make another movie. I mean G-zilla 1985 was auwsome, and I can never forget about the birds, the rangers team, or even the Meta-Godzilla mock-up.

Even Mothara was auwsome, and G-zilla and Rodan vs Monster Zero. That was Biblical, smashtastic.

Godzilla the defender of nature, was a great idea, next to Rodan, Mothara, monster Island bit, and even Metal-Godzilla. We even had Metal King Kong as well, and Ultra-man vs Godzilla.

2000, again rubbish. They made the US army take out G-zilla and made him super tiny. It was like watching Jurrasic Park three, and somebody came along and murdered the mother and the baby.

Otherwise I do not really care, because we have CGI, and not robots, costumes, or home-made diarama sets.

The best thing about G-zilla is all of the prods, of G-zilla, that was made around the time of each movie, asides the one making fun of Japan. I love those prods, better then the actual films itself.

Again 1985 all the way. 

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 06:04:43 pm »
Watch the new TMNT trailer, which looks like a generic action movie with CGI turtles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjsWpM9zFU

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
Mikey's line was probably the only thing I liked about that. I wish Paramount did an animated TMNT with their new animation division instead of this.