Author Topic: 'Child of Eden’ producer says ‘Microsoft fucked up big time'  (Read 6509 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
During the final day of E3 2010, my request to demo Child of Eden was shot down by an UbiSoft PR rep. Thankfully, I ran into one of the game’s producers, James Mielke, as I was leaving the convention center.

A friend and I related our disappointment with the Kinect software lineup and asked why Microsoft didn’t place more emphasis on Eden. His response was unusually direct.

“Yeah, Microsoft fucked up big time,” he said, sporting a knowing grin. “They had a chance to feature it for Kinect but decided to focus on family-friendly games like what’s on Wii. They weren’t expecting everyone to react so negatively. After we showed off our game at UbiSoft, the Microsoft people came to our booth like, ‘Oh, oh wow.’”

He mimed curiosity by pursing his lips and drumming fingers across his chin, then rolled his eyes.

I complained to him that all of Kinect’s other software is uninspiring, but noted that Eden alone would make it worth my money.

Mielke nodded. “Lots of people were saying that — except, you don’t even need Kinect to play it.”

As an aside, he also said that Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto usually spends just a moment or two looking at each game and rarely shares his thoughts. After demoing Eden, Miyamoto and Q?’s founder, former Sega veteran Tetsuya Mizuguchi, spoke with each other for a few moments. According to Mielke, the legendary creator of Zelda and Mario called Eden “game of the show.”

The former journalist and part-time DJ added: “[Eden] will be out before next year’s E3, probably like Spring 2011. It sounds like a long time but, for me, looking at it from the inside, that’s not long at all.”

While it may not be a long time in development terms, Eden is one game that simply cannot come out soon enough. In spite of Mielke’s rather frank criticism, Microsoft would be wise to begin coddling the geniuses at Q? from now until this game ships.

Xbox 360’s proprietors would be fools to continue ignoring the sales potential behind Eden. A high-dollar Kinect/Eden marketing campaign and any amount of bribery necessary to secure a game/hardware retail bundle seems to be the most logical solution.
http://trueslant.com/stephenwebster/201 ... -big-time/

Fuck Microsoft for not believing in this game. Though, I think they did not want to give it a 'spot' because it is not a 'exclusive' and not 'Kinect only'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: 'Child of Eden’ producer says ‘Microsoft fucked up big time'
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »
Unless the the whole Kinect thing adds a lot to the experience, I'll be pretty happy just picking this one up on PS3.
It's pretty awesome that James Mielke is a producer on it.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:55 pm »
Actually I'm pretty excited to play this with a Move controller (if possible).

There's something about that glowing ball on the controller (and I am NOT joking).
Imagine the ball changing color accordingly to what's showing up on the screen and accordingly with the sound. Imagine playing it in the dark. Just that glowing ball making the mood, like if the game was coming out of the screen and extended to your fingertips...
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:17:22 pm »
They said that they have not received a 'Move dev kit' yet, but already confirmed it will support move. I will stick with controller. Could be a trippy 3D game too. But again, I have no 3D TV.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »
Funny that I know a LOT of tech nuts (myself included), but no one has a 3DTV! We all just got HDTVs like less than 3 years ago! It's insane. My previous TV was a Grundig that was literally as old as me. Sony is telling me that my current TV will have a fifth of the lifespan that one had? They mad?
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Actually I'm pretty excited to play this with a Move controller (if possible).

There's something about that glowing ball on the controller (and I am NOT joking).
Imagine the ball changing color accordingly to what's showing up on the screen and accordingly with the sound. Imagine playing it in the dark. Just that glowing ball making the mood, like if the game was coming out of the screen and extended to your fingertips...

That....would be so cool.

Quote from: "crackdude"
Funny that I know a LOT of tech nuts (myself included), but no one has a 3DTV! We all just got HDTVs like less than 3 years ago! It's insane. My previous TV was a Grundig that was literally as old as me. Sony is telling me that my current TV will have a fifth of the lifespan that one had? They mad?

Man, get used to it. Nothin' will last like the old things did. I used to play Dreamcast on a wood paneled TV from the seventies or eighties. Stuff was built to last back then, nowaday you'll be lucky to get ten years out of a TV before it's either obsolete or not worth repairing.

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
I would get a 3DTV, if they where decently priced.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:23:48 am »
I do not think Child of Eden alone would have 'saved' their lineup from being completely family friendly, but I guess it would not have hurt. Mistake indeed.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 01:12:08 am »
What a relief, it won't require Kinect.  I mean, there are certain aspects of Kinect I look forward to... but for this game, I want to use a controller.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 04:47:31 am »
They should have opened their press conference with this. Too bad for them, they chose the easy way and gave away consoles to the "press".

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:31:41 pm »
Oh, God! Thanks this title is not XB exclusive! THANKS!!!  
 I will buy this title on day one!

Now Sonic Riders 3 and Virtual-On are the only reason to buy a XB...

Offline George

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »
Sonic Riders? LOL

Just odd that one of the worse series ever is a reason to buy a 300 dollar console and 150 dollar add on.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 02:34:17 pm »
 Sonic Riders is the best race game around and the best reason to buy a shitty XB360.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »
lol stop trollin the forums cube lolol