Author Topic: Sonic The Hedgehog - A Little Ball of Energy in an Extremely Handsome Package  (Read 430996 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
SEGA revealed that Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is being made available again via an offline version

In-app purchases are gone and players can now own the entire game for just $0.99.
When the game first launched, players needed to spend $5 to access the whole game.
The offline version is available on both the iOS and Android stores

Article : https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/01/sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-returns-via-offline-version/
Link : https://www.olympicvideogames.com/sonic/en/

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Sonic at the Olympic Games
Mario stays home

Offline Mystic Monkey

Reading your blog post made me remember Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
So many SEGA games sitting in Japan,
so if they could rebrand Puyo Puyo into Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine back then,
I'm sure they could rebrand Mushiking, Love and Berry and Dinosaur King into Chao's related game too if Sega wanted.
I agree. In comparison to pokémon which is a game more on the fighting concept, chao could still be about raising your creatures and the use of animals and evolutions to make them more unique. I just think the combat system should be a little more fleshed out. And it doesn't hurt to be flashy as Pokémon was in their combat.
And given those examples you mentioned involved these action cards that can be purchased means more merchandicing to profit from, though I imagine they would use digital cards given it be more cheaper to manufacture and control

Offline Berto

I agree. In comparison to pokémon which is a game more on the fighting concept, chao could still be about raising your creatures and the use of animals and evolutions to make them more unique. I just think the combat system should be a little more fleshed out. And it doesn't hurt to be flashy as Pokémon was in their combat.
And given those examples you mentioned involved these action cards that can be purchased means more merchandicing to profit from, though I imagine they would use digital cards given it be more cheaper to manufacture and control

Yes, since everything is going digital nowadays,
I think digital cards are understandable.

Offline Mystic Monkey

Yes, since everything is going digital nowadays,
I think digital cards are understandable.

One of my idea for chao is a new evolution state after Adult called Elder and will allow the chao to take more exotic shapes than it's usual stumpy body shape. Such shapes in mind being mermaid (swim), rabbit (speed), gorilla (power) and feathery (fly).

That way like pokémon, they can have more unique apperances that set them apart but still be recognisable with one another.

Offline Berto

One of my idea for chao is a new evolution state after Adult called Elder and will allow the chao to take more exotic shapes than it's usual stumpy body shape. Such shapes in mind being mermaid (swim), rabbit (speed), gorilla (power) and feathery (fly).

That way like pokémon, they can have more unique apperances that set them apart but still be recognisable with one another.

That would make more works for the game designer, but I guess that's necessary.
It's a good idea, but I don't like the wold "Elder" for Chao
Calling them "Elder" is kinda make them sound that they outlive Sonic and friends by being old first before them...

Offline Berto

"Sonic the Hedgehog" appears in the original deformed illustration "Chocokawa Series" straps ✨

#Sonic and the pair illustrations of the characters appearing in the series are cute and acrylic straps.
Reservation acceptance starts from today on various EC sites!
Scheduled to be released in June 🦔
Link : https://t.co/RQpLszhHMJ 

Source : https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1486172851011219459?s=20

Offline Berto

Uncle from Another World (Isekai Ojisan) x SEGA (Sonic) Special Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hK_hBNTPCY

Offline Mystic Monkey

That would make more works for the game designer, but I guess that's necessary.
It's a good idea, but I don't like the wold "Elder" for Chao
Calling them "Elder" is kinda make them sound that they outlive Sonic and friends by being old first before them...
Let Sonic Team call 'em whatever they want. "Champions", "Ultimate", "Mega", I don't mind.

It's just when Pokémon came out in 1996 and got it's peak a few months after, Chao came out along with Sonic Adventure in 1999 and I believed if done right they could of at least give... Digimon a run for it's money. I mean I doubt chao would of made a dent to Pokémon sales. Actually saying they might have been better than Digimon would of been a stretch, I mean the anime was really what put Digimon to attention...

My point being  is chao could of been big if Sonic Team marketed them right. Pokémon was mostly about raising your monsters for battle, Digimon games actually put effort into the "raising" part of monster care while Sonic Adventure had a more fleshed out system for chao save for combat. Chao could of been a big thing if marketed right.

Kinda like Raving Rabbids, most seem to forget they started off in Rayman party game before becoming their own franchise..

Offline Berto

Let Sonic Team call 'em whatever they want. "Champions", "Ultimate", "Mega", I don't mind.

It's just when Pokémon came out in 1996 and got it's peak a few months after, Chao came out along with Sonic Adventure in 1999 and I believed if done right they could of at least give... Digimon a run for it's money. I mean I doubt chao would of made a dent to Pokémon sales. Actually saying they might have been better than Digimon would of been a stretch, I mean the anime was really what put Digimon to attention...

My point being  is chao could of been big if Sonic Team marketed them right. Pokémon was mostly about raising your monsters for battle, Digimon games actually put effort into the "raising" part of monster care while Sonic Adventure had a more fleshed out system for chao save for combat. Chao could of been a big thing if marketed right.

Kinda like Raving Rabbids, most seem to forget they started off in Rayman party game before becoming their own franchise..

Rabbid's really is a good comparison.
At first I think it's hard to top Pokemon in term of variety
since Pokemon contains many different animals while Chao is just one animal(?).
And then you mentioned Rabbids with basically just one animal and yeah, they're like Chao then.

Rabbid's now even got a movie now,
not just TV series and comic books,
imagine if Chao could accomplish this too someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP-vGhSecg

Offline Mystic Monkey

Rabbid's really is a good comparison.
At first I think it's hard to top Pokemon in term of variety
since Pokemon contains many different animals while Chao is just one animal(?).
And then you mentioned Rabbids with basically just one animal and yeah, they're like Chao then.
What Pokémon have:
  • You raise them specifically for battle.
  • You don't really "take care" of them, as in feeding or general health as expected from digital pets.
  • Come in a variety of creatures to collect. (I lost count after Gen 2.)
What Digimon (games) have:
  • I only played the one game but it emphasizes taking care of your Digimon like a digital pet. I remember getting stressed out over getting food and toilet for my Digimon as I travelled through the game, often my Digimon dying.
  • Honestly, I can't remember how battles work. I think it was cheering your digimon on to do better attacks or something.
  • Comes in a variety of creatures, I dunno how many. "Digivolution" was pretty cool though
What Chao have:
  • Like Digimon, you take care of your chao ina digital ept like fashion. But less stressful when it comes to feeding your chao and they don't seem to poop, so more easier to care for.
  • Battles were kind of naff. Chao Adventure had a roulette ATE for fights with "Bully Chao" and Chao Karate was mostly cheering them on with zeal which isn't that different from Chao Races. There wasn't any flashy attacks like Pokémon or Digimon with elemental effects or whatever.
  • Due to the metamorphic nature of chao, all chao are born the same (unless specified by the colour and shine of the chao egg) But they can grow and change in variety. They have the ability to take on animal features and change colour and shape depending on their allignment (hero/dark) and stat they excell at (speed, power, fly or swim) they take on a variety of shapes during their evolution.
Chao are already pretty balanced when it comes to variety that is encouraged through TLC of the chao. But one of Pokémon and Digimon's selling points is flashy anime battles. I know Sega made MushiKing or Dinosaur King, but I imagine it's the same division of Sega who made these games whoever they are. I don't see why Sega can't get them to make a chao battle system for Sonic Team that recycles the concept. Yeah it's kinda cheap to recycle it but given DInosaur King and Mushiking arcade games didn't make it to the west means the gameplay will be more fresh to the western audience.
Rabbid's now even got a movie now,
not just TV series and comic books,
imagine if Chao could accomplish this too someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jP-vGhSecg
Rabbidsare so annoying, but even I didn't know they were getting a movie. How can you even put a story to obnoxious screaming rabbits?

Offline Berto

What Pokémon have:
  • You raise them specifically for battle.
  • You don't really "take care" of them, as in feeding or general health as expected from digital pets.
  • Come in a variety of creatures to collect. (I lost count after Gen 2.)
What Digimon (games) have:
  • I only played the one game but it emphasizes taking care of your Digimon like a digital pet. I remember getting stressed out over getting food and toilet for my Digimon as I travelled through the game, often my Digimon dying.
  • Honestly, I can't remember how battles work. I think it was cheering your digimon on to do better attacks or something.
  • Comes in a variety of creatures, I dunno how many. "Digivolution" was pretty cool though
What Chao have:
  • Like Digimon, you take care of your chao ina digital ept like fashion. But less stressful when it comes to feeding your chao and they don't seem to poop, so more easier to care for.
  • Battles were kind of naff. Chao Adventure had a roulette ATE for fights with "Bully Chao" and Chao Karate was mostly cheering them on with zeal which isn't that different from Chao Races. There wasn't any flashy attacks like Pokémon or Digimon with elemental effects or whatever.
  • Due to the metamorphic nature of chao, all chao are born the same (unless specified by the colour and shine of the chao egg) But they can grow and change in variety. They have the ability to take on animal features and change colour and shape depending on their allignment (hero/dark) and stat they excell at (speed, power, fly or swim) they take on a variety of shapes during their evolution.
Chao are already pretty balanced when it comes to variety that is encouraged through TLC of the chao. But one of Pokémon and Digimon's selling points is flashy anime battles. I know Sega made MushiKing or Dinosaur King, but I imagine it's the same division of Sega who made these games whoever they are. I don't see why Sega can't get them to make a chao battle system for Sonic Team that recycles the concept. Yeah it's kinda cheap to recycle it but given DInosaur King and Mushiking arcade games didn't make it to the west means the gameplay will be more fresh to the western audience.

So it's more like Digimon than Pokemon.
Yes, taking care of Chao, I don't think I remember doing that on Pokemon.

We got those Dinosaur King and Mushiking arcade games actually back then in my country,
but only few people that play them.
May be because they're still in Japanese (Google Lens wasn't a thing back then).
Love and Berry was more popular, but the ones who played it are mostly girls.
Those games are mostly gone now, but the cards are still available on online marketplace for collectors.

Rabbids are so annoying, but even I didn't know they were getting a movie. How can you even put a story to obnoxious screaming rabbits?

They had this one Rabbids character that's a genius, named Beardie,
who's definitely different than his stupid peers.
Even smarter than average humans.
He's the only Rabbids that's not annoying so you can guess that Beardie is the main character of the movie.

Offline Berto

Hear Persona 5 Singer Lyn Sing the Sonic 3 Continue Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFq5fimj1c

The full video offers extra details about the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 “Continue – 30th Sessions Version.” Jun Senoue handled the arrangement for it.
(This was one of the first Sega games Senoue composed music for back in the 1990s.)
S.A.M.E. is performing on the track alongside Lyn. It is also a more lengthy take on the tune. It lasts for almost two minutes.

Article : https://www.siliconera.com/hear-persona-5-singer-lyn-sing-the-sonic-3-continue-music/

Offline Mystic Monkey

So it's more like Digimon than Pokemon.
Yes, taking care of Chao, I don't think I remember doing that on Pokemon.

We got those Dinosaur King and Mushiking arcade games actually back then in my country,
but only few people that play them.
May be because they're still in Japanese (Google Lens wasn't a thing back then).
Love and Berry was more popular, but the ones who played it are mostly girls.
Those games are mostly gone now, but the cards are still available on online marketplace for collectors.

I know there were Dinosaur King trading cards in the west but I don't think they were the same as the ones the Japanese arcades had. I also know that MushiKing and Dinosaur King had the exact same gameplay, using a rock-paper-scissors combat system and the use of barcode cards to play with. I'm not entirely sure how the cards worked though.
But I figured, what if there were "Chao Battle Cards". Each card can only work for chao with specific attributes such as hero/dark or speed/power/fly/swim. Though I imagine it be easier for Sega to sell these battle cards as digital content than store-brought. Chao Adventure 3 can perhaps give the basic Battle Cards for free (or at least sell them with rings or ingame currency) while the more exclusive Chao Battle Cards can be purchased with real money. (Or Red Star Rings which I believe is the mobile Sonic games equivilent of Star Gems.) 
They had this one Rabbids character that's a genius, named Beardie,
who's definitely different than his stupid peers.
Even smarter than average humans.
He's the only Rabbids that's not annoying so you can guess that Beardie is the main character of the movie.

So the only way to have a Raving Rabbids movie is to have a rabbid that's not raving. =P
Still ironic that given how popular Rayman was throughout the 90s and that it was he who introduced the Rabbids that they're getting a new movie and not him.

Offline Berto

I know there were Dinosaur King trading cards in the west but I don't think they were the same as the ones the Japanese arcades had. I also know that MushiKing and Dinosaur King had the exact same gameplay, using a rock-paper-scissors combat system and the use of barcode cards to play with. I'm not entirely sure how the cards worked though.

But I figured, what if there were "Chao Battle Cards". Each card can only work for chao with specific attributes such as hero/dark or speed/power/fly/swim. Though I imagine it be easier for Sega to sell these battle cards as digital content than store-brought. Chao Adventure 3 can perhaps give the basic Battle Cards for free (or at least sell them with rings or ingame currency) while the more exclusive Chao Battle Cards can be purchased with real money. (Or Red Star Rings which I believe is the mobile Sonic games equivilent of Star Gems.) 

Rock-paper-scissors combat system is still a norm in card games,
so I won't mind if it's still being used.
And Red Star Rings, if SEGA HARDLight is the one who made the game,
guaranteed for sure they'll use them.

Leak does said that SEGA is making Chao mobile game.
It's just still unknown who develop it,
SEGA HARDLight or SOJ Internal Team.

So the only way to have a Raving Rabbids movie is to have a rabbid that's not raving. =P
Still ironic that given how popular Rayman was throughout the 90s and that it was he who introduced the Rabbids that they're getting a new movie and not him.

It's also happened quite often wasn't it when side characters become more popular than the main character?

Bugs Bunny is more popular than Porky Pig.
Taz-mania was more popular than Bugs Bunny from some times.
Wolverine and Deadpool are more popular than Cyclops.
Darkseid is more popular than Mr Miracle.
Minions are more popular than Gru.
Woody Woodpecker is more popular than Andy Panda.
Yogi bear is more popular than Huckleberry Hound.
Constantine is more popular than Swamp Thing.

But in term of video games, yes Rabbids & Rayman is the most ironic case.