Author Topic: The Many Jurassic Park Games  (Read 12281 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
The Many Jurassic Park Games
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:57 am »

Anybody here fans of the many Jurassic Park games that appeared on SEGA consoles in the '90's? There sure were a lot of them: Jurassic Park for the Genesis/MD, Jurassic Park for the SMS/GG, Jurassic Park for the SEGA CD, Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition for the Genesis/MD, the Jurassic Park arcade game, The Lost World for the Saturn, The Lost World for the Genesis/MD (developed by the team behind Ecco), The Lost World for the GG and The Lost World arcade game.

The ones I most remember were The Rampage Edition for the Genesis and the SEGA CD version, which I never owned during the '90's, but I read about it and it looked awesome. I was a huge raptor fan, so the Rampage Edition was my favorite, though it was way too difficult.

Playing the SEGA CD version now it a lot of fun, sort of reminds me of Myst but taking place in the JP world.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: The Many Jurassic Park Games
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:37 am »
I played Jurassic Park on the Genesis back in the day, but it was way to hard for me at the time. I didn't get very far in it at all.
I love the movie, so I was pretty disappointed at the time that I didn't get to see more of the game :(.

The local arcade used to have The Lost World arcade game by SEGA. I remember it being a pretty enjoyable light gun shooter.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:05 am »
My local arcade *might* have a Lost World cabinet, I can't recall if it was there last time I visited.

I just bought The Lost World for Saturn off ebay for $8, using paypal money. I've read mixed reviews, but I really just want to see a full 3D Saturn platformer.

It's surprising to return to childhood games and discover that you are now way way better at playing them. Back in the day, Sonic 2 was very hard for me to complete without Game Genie giving me more lives. Now, I can play through it in a sitting. I have JP for the Genesis at home, and I think I'll give it another go. I'll bet I'm marginally better this time.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:04:49 am »
I remember the Genesis games mainly due to their persistent ad campaign, and I think my friend had the first one (possibly Rampage). They were really hard.

I love the The Lost World Arcade, I'll have to see if any of the beach arcades around here still have it.

The JP games that I played the most though were on SNES, and therefore not made by SEGA (published by Ocean). The first game had an overhead perspective during exterior sequences and a first-person perspective when interior. It was pretty mind blowing at the time. I own "Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues" and it was like a Contra shooter, and lots of fun.

Offline ribbitking17

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:22:11 am »
I have at least two folded up posters in a drawer of the first Genesis game.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 06:31:04 am »
I had the original Jurassic Park game on Genesis.

It was pretty tense. I loved playing with the velociraptor even though jumping was a little tricky and the raptor is so fast that he outruns the screen and couldn't see much beyond.

Grant's levels were more challenging. The game actually followed the novel.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:48:14 am »
I have at least two folded up posters in a drawer of the first Genesis game.

I think I have three or four, they loved stuffing JP posters in the Genesis cases.

Played some of the SEGA CD version last night, the Qsound was crazy! I felt like I was hearing insects and dinosaur growls behind me. Cool stuff. Tough game, but lots of cool gimmicks.

Offline Grounder

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:55 pm »
I've played both Genesis games, the Game Gear one, and I think I've played the first arcade game, but am not sure. I know I've seen it in person though. One of my friends used to own Rampage Edition. I don't know if he still does though.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:46:43 am »
I never played The Rampage Edition all I knew is that it was basicall JP 1 but with a ton of guns.

The original sorta struck me as a survival horror-esque type. Basically if you faced a raptor it was basically Game Over. Ammo was scarce. And that T-Rex was a b****, he could pick you off within reach.

You could also take damage if you fell from a huge height.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
I think I have three or four, they loved stuffing JP posters in the Genesis cases.

Played some of the SEGA CD version last night, the Qsound was crazy! I felt like I was hearing insects and dinosaur growls behind me. Cool stuff. Tough game, but lots of cool gimmicks.

The Mega CD ver is an overlooked and underrated classic and one of the better console point and click games, really liked how the game took place after the film . My and my mate played it for ages and took us weeks to get past the T-Rex part (so simple when u know how) shame the ending is on the basic and simple side .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:42 am »
I have the saturn version and i still love it.
But the best one is the lost world arcade, i always hoped it would be released on the Dreamcast like they did with house of the dead 2. but it never came. The Dreamcast had power enough to run that game.
SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:56 am »
Sega didn't have the license for the game by the time the DC came out. I think someone else did the third game based on the third movie. But arcade wise i perfer the first JURASSIC PARK game than LOST WORLD ARCADE. Console wise, i'd say JP RAMPAGE EDITION, LOST WORLD MD and Saturn version.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:29 am »
I played the one on the Mega Drive where you play as Grant or the Velociraptor. (I have it, I forgot to add)

Even with the cheat codes on the Game Genie, I still couldn't beat the Raptor's ending since Grant was a bitch to try and kill even on permanent health!

Level 3 for the Raptor was a bitch since you had that awkward jumping from one open sewer pipe to another without the bottomless pit between them all. >_<

Oh yeah, the T-Rex! You had to stun it to get by safely, but at the time it scared the shit out of me...the Raptors weren't that bad if I recall correctly, even with the invincibility cheat I didn't get hit all that much.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:44:38 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:43:42 pm »
I have bought Jurassic park for the SEGA Master system in mint condition.
It"s a challenging game but it have great graphics for an 8 bit system.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:45:13 pm by Kevin-N »
SEGA fan 4 life !

3raser

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »
They are realeasing Jurassic Park IV next year. I hope a new Sega game will follow that because I miss playing Jurassic Park games. It would be amazing to see a modern style game like that for all the current major consoles.