Author Topic: And the DC Comics Movie Universe Begins...  (Read 30649 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
And the DC Comics Movie Universe Begins...
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »

http://screenrant.com/dc-movies-justice-league-wonder-woman-release-dates/

I am so freaking out right now! Here's an abriged version of this article:
-Till 2020, expect two DC Comics movies every year;
-Batman vs Superman in March 2016;
-Suicide Squad movie in Agust 2016;
-Wonder Woman solo movie in 2017 and Justice League: Part One in 2017 as well;
-Justice League will be broken into two movies;
-The Flash movie and Aquaman in 2018;
-Shazam and JL: Part Two in 2019;
-Cyborg and Green Lantern Movies in 2020;

Also note:
-Green Lantern will be a complete reboot;
-The Flash movie will have no connection to the current Flash TV show;
-Though not yet announced, Batman and Superman will have their solo movies but their release date is still unknown;

Freakin' out again!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: And the DC Comics Movie Universe Begins...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:42:36 am »
Well DC has done a few major things in this announcement list.
One..they've going to be the first to make a supervillian movie in Suicide Squad.
They're going to be the first or at least first announced a superheroine movie for the modern age of superhero films  with Wonder woman beating Marvel in their female lead superhero film.
They're the first of the big two to commit to a Black superhero movie in Cyborg beating Marvel again.

The only way Marvel can try to counter this is to announce Black Widow with Scarlett Johannson and a Black Panther film...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:47:27 am »
I want to see Guillermo Del Toro direct that Justice League Dark movie. That would be sooooo goooooood.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:48:12 am »
Doubt that will ever happen...MM....

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:37 am »
Doubt that will ever happen...MM....

I know, but I was more excited for that than anything else.

I lost a bit of momentum for DC movies after I saw Man of Steel. Okay, it's a new interpretation of the character etc, but for the flagship DC character (and overall Superhero/Comic Book Character) to launch their movie franchise? Why? WHY?

Movie was still pretty good though. I'm interested in seeing how Batman vs Superman pans out.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:47 am »
I know, but I was more excited for that than anything else.

I lost a bit of momentum for DC movies after I saw Man of Steel. Okay, it's a new interpretation of the character etc, but for the flagship DC character (and overall Superhero/Comic Book Character) to launch their movie franchise? Why? WHY?

Movie was still pretty good though. I'm interested in seeing how Batman vs Superman pans out.

Simple..they let that hack Goyer take control of the script without anyone redoing it afterwards. Nolan was too busy to check on him than he was when he did Batman..and Synder is another guy who needs to be put on a leash when making movies. With those two unchecked..MOS was a film that had great bits but uneven crap. This won't be a problem with any of the sequels because Affleck is running the show behind the scenes.
That's why Constantine which Goyer is in charge with..is giving me panic attacks...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:06:27 am »
Never saw Green Lantern nor do i care to. I've owned the Man of Steel since it was released on Bluray, but i still haven't seen it..

Anyways, Aqua Man movie? Good luck selling that to anyone, but comic fans.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »
God help you if you botch up the JL movie DC.

As for personnel, Snyder is the only decent "Comic" person there. Snyder has by far the best costume designs and fight sequences. Watchmen will forever immortalize him for that.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:23 pm »
Glad to know i'm not the only dumb ass that actually enjoyed Watchmen.. I have yet to know any one that thoroughly enjoyed that film.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »
I'm a huge DC fan, so this is really cool. I really hope this means that New 52 will have a Cyborg and Shazam ongoing soon :)

But why do I have to wait so long :(

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:23:21 pm »
Glad to know i'm not the only dumb ass that actually enjoyed Watchmen.. I have yet to know any one that thoroughly enjoyed that film.

As a fan of the comic first, the movie was okay but not great in my eyes. I liked it a LOT more the first time I saw it, then jaded on subsequent viewings.

Opening credits is the best part of the movie.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:55 pm »
Interesting line up. Glad they are at least doing a Wonder Woman movie before they go to Justice League, though I do wish they were doing a little more to establish characters like Flash and Green Lantern before the first JL movie. Still, I am interested in seeing how this whole universe ties together. I just hope we don't get a bunch of movies of brawny guys and gals just hitting things really hard. These movies need souls, something I felt Man of Steel lacked. I'm still not really looking forward to Batman v Superman, but I do have hope that the rest of this will play out splendidly...if only because I really want them to.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:36:23 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:50 pm »
Even though I do want to see more movies soon, I think the whole 'lets build up characters to their cross over movie' is an overrated phrased used by Marvel fanboys forever, personally I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy more due to not knowing what it was all about. I'm not a huge fan of Marvel comics and I think they did OK on their stand alone films, but most people felt it was just a preview for Avengers and I totally don't want DC to go like that.

I don't think we need to know everything about a character for a cross-over movie, most of my friends only saw Avengers and didn't see the 'pre-quel' stand alone movies and they weren't confused at all. If anything, I thought Avengers just re-explained anything and made me mad for spending time watching the other films.

But hey, to each their own.

I just hope DC finally knocks it out of the park, their source materiel is superior already to Marvel's, they just need good films.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 01:30:59 am »
Can anyone offer a guess as to what the real breaking point was for DC movies now? Because, and I was only really paying attention to this years ago, but when the first Avengers movie came out the thought of the Justice League competing with that was laughable (and Green Lantern sucked big time) and now here we are? When did the DC comic heroes hit the stride they're apparently enjoying? I'm not familiar with developments on DC comics in movies, to be clear. I know that we've had a failed Wonder Woman show years ago, Man of Steel did pretty well critically and commercially IIRC (though not AMAZING)...

Random musings on other movies mentioned here:

-Watchmen was great on first viewing for me but didn't enjoy it as much once I saw it again.

-Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty solid, if nothing else I am glad that Marvel took a chance on them.

-Will be interesting to see how Paul Rudd pulls off Ant-Man

-Will be even more interesting to see Batfleck, but I don't really want to see him anyway so =P

-The Flash is the gay dude best friend of the main trifecta in Perks of Being a Wallflower!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:35:49 am by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 03:22:58 am »
We've discussed it and it's been debated a lot elsewhere is that Warner Brothers has had a lot of trouble setting up this new movie universe, because of the following:
-While WB does own DC, they cannot allocate all their resources towards making comic book movies, there are other people with their own projects that also need funding;
-There was a lot of difficulty setting up a pseudo internal "DC Comics Movie Studio" since so were so many people with their hand in the jar;
-WB lost it's confidence in Akiva Goldsman, who used to be their old go-to Super Hero Movie producer and as such hadn't found their Kevin Feige yet;
-WB, during the early Marvel movie build-up, was still very much stuck on the Harry Potter / Dark Knight money train to have any strategy and really who could blame them, since both franchises were making a lot of cheddar?

Now with regards to what was the trigger, I don't think it's was just The Avengers and GotG that made DC Comics finally do this:

-Man of Steel, love it or hate it, was sucessfull enough to invest more time and resources into comic book properties;
-The Arrow TV Show I think, also boosted a lot of internal confidence which has prompted them to also invest more into TV-themed Super Heroes, an area in which Marvel is still very much has no footing, in this era of HD TVs and people preferring to watch more stuff at the comfort of their own home, it's a smart strategy;
-The overwhelmingly positive reaction at the announcement of Batman vs Superman was also encouraging;

Now with regards to the actual lineup, I was only a tad dissapointed that Shazam! is only a 2019 release, since Dwayne Johnson has been so vocal about it, I was under the impression that it was a more immediate project.

Kinda of a shame, since I'm super into the character right now, dare I say, almost as much as Superman vs Batman.

Also to note, unlike Marvel who wants all the TV Shows and Movies to follow an ubber cohesive timeline, DC's answer to that is: Screw it!

Screw it, TV Universe and Movie Universe will be separated, because (IMO):
-We expect our audience to be smart enough to understand that the Bruce Wayne from the TV Show Gotham has nothing to do with the Bruce Wayne on Batman vs Superman;
-Separation allows a bit more creative freedom which is something that's starting to harm the Marvel Universe a tad.