Author Topic: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake  (Read 15477 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »
id like to date that woman
Dude, each passing day you reach new levels of creepy.
SEG4GES

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 01:21:23 pm »
lol

Anyway, saw the video again with sound. Don't like the modern type music. Yuzo's work always kept me motivated when beating down on enemies.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »
Oh Semmie. You're my new favorite.

Getting back into the forums at various gaming places has reminded me of some old names. I wonder what happened to those people.

Anyone remember, what was his name... Damn... Ko-something? he was a real abrasive, but sometimes funny guy on Seganerds?

Anyway, sorry to get off-topic. This demo looked fun and mindless and I liked the neon and the stylistic choices.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:40 pm »

u mean to tell me ur gay?
come on dude. u mean te tell me u dont like her?

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »
u mean to tell me ur gay?
come on dude. u mean te tell me u dont like her?
Hey hey hey, let's get back into the topic.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »

Getting back into the forums at various gaming places has reminded me of some old names. I wonder what happened to those people.

Anyone remember, what was his name... Damn... Ko-something? he was a real abrasive, but sometimes funny guy on Seganerds?

Anyway, sorry to get off-topic. This demo looked fun and mindless and I liked the neon and the stylistic choices.

let me put it like this.
we see this tiny movie of sor. and we all have our opinions allready.
but when u look at the game its pretty awesome. there is not much onto a fighting game such as

hunter the reckoning
dungeon siege 3  etc.

these games are kind of a sor in 3d. while complaining we could say hey this is a nice arcade game perhaps.
we didnt even see how many players we can choose. we didnt see some story line. even tho arcade games have short storylines. but still when u look at that game

it is a really special thing.
some of u may have played spike out
not the xbox version but of the arcade. that was really a good game.

all i say is we should give it a chance. whenever sega is trying we kick them back in the pit. the old days the old days the old days.
whatsup man. do we want sor or not. let them bring out and then after we make some complaining and sor2 3d will be better then the previous

Right?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:53:03 pm by semmie »

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 02:47:12 pm »
I remembered his name. Kogen. That guy was such a bastard.

Anyway, the SOR topic is kind of boring.

This makes me want to see some other prototypes that never come out. Wouldn't that be interesting.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »
Kogen was truly special. I think he was a legit neo-Nazi or something.

Anyway, I still don't think it looked that bad to be honest. I don't really see the dark and gritty thing everyone else seems to, especially since it was just one level. Of course I would want to see the next level be a beach during the day or something to mix things up, but I kind of liked the rain and neon lights look it had. I didn't hear the music, so can't comment, but of course nothing beats SOR2 soundtrack.

Anyway, I still think Yakuza fighting engine would make a great SOR update.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:13 pm »
I think all most of us are really doing is expressing how happy we are streets of rage's name hasn't been abused like that.

As someone else said in the comments of the video, it looked more like fighting force than a streets of rage game. Tbh the game lacks almost everything I love about SoR. A big name like SoR shouldn't be treated so carelessly

Fighting Force was supposed to be Streets of Rage 4 anyway. Judging by this demo, I don't think the game would've abused the Streets of Rage name. It's kind of a drag that most developers are striving for realism, but what are ya' gonna' do? "Realism" is this month's current flavor.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »
Okay, can people start explaining all these complaints? How is this any more 'realism' than Streets of Rage 1 or 2? It's a dude beating up thugs on a city street. One guy has a bunch of knives. I distinctly remember all of that shit in the first games too. :o

I really don't see how this is any different to the old games apart from that it's in 3D.

Seriously, tell me WHY you think it looks dark and gritty and 'realistic' compared to the old games. not trolling or getting in anyone's grill, but I just keep seeing posts like 'wow I'm so glad this piece of shit never got made, I hate realism and modern GRIMDARK' without saying why.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
Okay, can people start explaining all these complaints? How is this any more 'realism' than Streets of Rage 1 or 2? It's a dude beating up thugs on a city street. One guy has a bunch of knives. I distinctly remember all of that shit in the first games too. :o

I really don't see how this is any different to the old games apart from that it's in 3D.

Seriously, tell me WHY you think it looks dark and gritty and 'realistic' compared to the old games. not trolling or getting in anyone's grill, but I just keep seeing posts like 'wow I'm so glad this piece of shit never got made, I hate realism and modern GRIMDARK' without saying why.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it has to do with the overall look and feel. We have realistic textures and it is - admittedly - darker than the trilogy. When I say "dark", I'm referring to lighting. In Streets of Rage 1-3, street lamps are a bit brighter, store fronts are lit up, in addition to all that neon. Color's another issue, I think. In the demo, with exception to the neon sign and stage markers, the color scheme's muted by comparison. Textures are very realistic and there's much more shadow.

All that being said, it still feels like Streets of Rage and I would've played it. The only thing missing for me was music.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:34:11 pm by mylifewithsega »
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:05 pm »
The state of current technology forces the game to either be cartoony or more realistic (realistic textures/lighting).

It's not easy at all to convey the same ambience as the old 2D games.
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »
The state of current technology forces the game to either be cartoony or more realistic (realistic textures/lighting).

It's not easy at all to convey the same ambience as the old 2D games.

True, but I don't think any of us are wanting Sega (or affiliated developers) to settle for doing something easy.  They have a tremendous legacy to live up to, and any revisiting of IPs from those previous eras should be held to the highest standard.  Besides, not every new game has to be 3D, right?  There have been quite a few high profile pixel-art and hand-drawn games over the past several years, not to mention the possibility of 3D games that resemble pixel art in various ways.

As was mentioned above, I think of the Yakuza series as a spiritual successor to Streets of Rage, among some other titles.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:26:44 pm by Centrale »

Offline Psycho Echidna

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:42 am »
Kogen was truly special.

LOL you made me laugh when I read this ...  Indeed he was ^^

For this video, I think there were some good ideas : Boss presentation ( the guy with knives I assume), the intro to the level was kinda cool, the animation were a bit poor - but I heard it was a 2 months work for 2 people - just a pitch. Wondering if it was SEGA asking those dev teams for a demo or those guys really trying to lure SEGA into bringing the series back.

I am really bummed they do not reach to Ancient as I remembered Koshiro's sister finalized the design of the characters of SOR 4.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 12:12:33 pm »

Well somebody likes him, enough to give him 17 kudos's. That's more than even the mods here.