Author Topic: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake  (Read 15469 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:10 am »
Eh.... looks all right, but rather generic.  I don't think it earned the SOR name, so it's best it was cancelled.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
Wow

Makes me glad that SEGA hasn't redone or re imagined any more of their classic franchises, because all they would have done is ruin their legacy *points at golden axe and sonic 4

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:32 am »
I think the Idea of an HD reboot of a Classic Sega Franchise on Download Services is interresting in any case.

SEGA needs to make a Beta-em-up brawler again. Altered Beast, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage have lots of recognition and fanfare.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:41 am »
Yeah I forgot to add that all it would take the right people for making a true sequel. But most of the IP's have been used more like marketing gimmick *nods

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:05 am »
Wow

Makes me glad that SEGA hasn't redone or re imagined any more of their classic franchises, because all they would have done is ruin their legacy *points at golden axe and sonic 4

As if Golden Axe ever had one single good game in the series. People loved them for the simplicity, feel and music. They were godawful in gameplay and blandly repetitive. The recent Golden Axe is the same thing, entertaining for a while, a bad game overall.

SoR is in a completely different level. I really can't imagine the game working with today's videogame mechanics. It would have to be something like Dynamite Deka
SEG4GES

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
Doesn't look too bad to me. The opening was nice and just change the character designs back from the original source.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
That looks pretty awesome, actually.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
guys you cant judge by such a small footage. but god i would buy it :)
come on guys maybe this one is a 7 out of ten
and then after when second part comes out it might be 10 out of 10

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:17 am »

As if Golden Axe ever had one single good game in the series. People loved them for the simplicity, feel and music. They were godawful in gameplay and blandly repetitive. The recent Golden Axe is the same thing, entertaining for a while, a bad game overall.
I think saying it is a bad game overall is maybe a little too harsh. Repetition could be said about many games at the time, but what kept things fresh was the sense of progression in the difficulty and overall challenge but indeed also in the feel of epicness and music. I don't think we can deny it's seen as a classic in general, its inclusion in allstar racing transformed has mostly drawn positive reactions, but ofcourse there is a lot of nostalgia involved as well.

Altered beast however fits well into your description imo, but then someone else could disagree with me.  :o

SoR is in a completely different level. I really can't imagine the game working with today's videogame mechanics. It would have to be something like Dynamite Deka
I think anything is possible with the right idea/direction.

Edit: Honestly the game doesn't look that bad, just not streets of rage worthy imo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:03:07 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »
I think saying it is a bad game overall is maybe a little too harsh. Repetition could be said about many games at the time, but what kept things fresh was the sense of progression in the difficulty and overall challenge but indeed also in the feel of epicness and music. I don't think we can deny it's seen as a classic in general, its inclusion in allstar racing transformed has mostly drawn positive reactions, but ofcourse there is a lot of nostalgia involved as well.

Altered beast however fits well into your description imo, but then someone else could disagree with me.  :o
I think anything is possible with the right idea/direction.

Edit: Honestly the game doesn't look that bad, just not streets of rage worthy imo

Well, it was pretty bad.. But that's the thing, it was the same sort of bad as the old ones. Of course Golden Axe games were arcade games, and beast rider was made as an adventure game. I don't think the formula works well today. Don't get me wrong, I love Golden Axe. But it has never been about the games' quality.

Yeah, it looks like a generic beat-em-up. It's as if it's Streets of Rage just because it says so.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:11:54 pm »
^Isn't Streets of Rage a generic beat em up too though? JUst one that was particularly well executed?

I really liked the visuals, but they would need to really mix it up between levels like they did in the old games. The rainy streets look nice, but they need to have sunny beaches and futuristic secret bases etc to round it all out too.

It would really hinge on the gameplay as well I think.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:43 pm »
I think for an update there would need to be more of a stylized kind of visuals.  This presentation just looks very plain.  For example, although I don't really like the updated Street Fighter style that much, at least they chose some direction other than blandness.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:32:43 pm »
You could go as far as say that it's a Final Fight clone. But it oozes it's own personality.
The leaked footage just seems lacking. Sure it must have been in it's very early stages of development, so the final result might have been much more interesting.

The one thing I think made the SoR trilogy great (besides the astonishing music) is tight gameplay. If they made this game with tight gameplay I guess it would be great.

Too bad they canned the game (again).
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:54 pm »
In some ways I see Yakuza as a modern-day Streets of Rage. Imagine a Yakuza game that was just scrolling battles without the RPG elements. I think it could work.