Author Topic: Sports  (Read 115211 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Sports
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2016, 08:56:53 am »
Does anyone else agree that soccer is really... boring?
If I was a twat, yea I would believe so
SEG4GES

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2016, 05:16:53 pm »
How can you call me that? How can you even say that? Take a look at a few pictures of soccer online and say that again. Hot girls don't generally play soccer. I have seen women's soccer and they still look like dudes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:24:58 am by Spock »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:52 am »
Wat
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2016, 11:19:16 am »
There are many teams in the NWSL. I'm sure at least one of those teams have some women you would be attracted to. Do you really only watch sports just because they have "girls" you think are attractive? There are more women in soccer than there are in surfing, but I don't like soccer or surfing tbh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:21:09 am by pcm92 »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2016, 05:57:03 am »
Rugby and Ice hockey are the sports for me. There's always something going on due to the higher tempo and overall physicality of it all.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:19 am »
If you actually enjoy the Futbol concept, but find it dull, a good introduction to it would be Futsal.

Futsal is a frenetic 5-a-side indoor version of futbol. Think Futbol meets Hockey. It's very technical as well, extremely fast, and high-scoring. It's gathering a lot of momentum as a sport lately.

Also, as the clock stops there is no injury faking.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:20:59 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:02 am »
First I've heard of that, nice one.

Not sure if it's true, but I've heard they won't change the rules of football due to fifa not wanting channels to stick their own ads into the stoppage from injuries etc.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:49 am »
Not sure if it's true, but I've heard they won't change the rules of football due to fifa not wanting channels to stick their own ads into the stoppage from injuries etc.
Well, if that was the case, the current model would be ideal as there are much more stoppages than if the clock stopped.

Funny or not, the continuous clock is a rule dating back to the 19th century, implemented in order to make the game less boring.
If you think about it, having constant stops in a game can make it a snorefest (some NFL games last for 3-4 hours). The 90 continuous minutes rule ensures that a regular football match never lasts more than 2 hours.

Also, injury faking is a very recent issue in world football history. Up until the 80s it was very uncommon. The most noticeable dive before the modern football era is probably the 74 World Cup final, but it was to obtain a penalty, not to waste time.
Time wasting is a modern tactic. Up until the 80s players would not fall down for an average kick to the chins.

Some factors come into play for the usage of this "strategy": the introduction of yellow and red cards in the 70s, the increase of the number of allowed substitutions, the increasingly strict rules regarding physical contact, the wide TV coverage that pans referees for not calling fouls..

Under this new paradigm, rulemakers are at a split: you either maintain a 100+ year old rule which serves as a foundation of the sport, or you change the flow of the game to tackle a more serious issue.
So they have maintained it. And so, the 90 minute rule made to speed up the game, is now slowing it down due to unsportsmanlike behavior.

Futsal is an emerging sport (under official status at least, since it has been played for almost 100 years as well), as such it is used as a testbench for possible rule changes.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2016, 10:33:35 am »
I'd change it. When it was thought of it made sense, but it's being abused so much now it's destroying the very flow of the game. Or at least have an independent ref fine/ban clubs/players for diving etc after the game to stomp it out. The NFL was built around breaks as it's an American sport that need breaks when a player so much as farts.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2016, 10:46:11 am »
I'd change it as well.
Make the clock stop for fouls and substitutions. When time runs out, the game continues till the ball goes out of play.

While at it, cut down the sub breaks from 3 to 2, but allow multiple players to be subbed each time.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:14 am »
Snipers for those rolling around on the floor?

I mean, if they're going to pretend they've been shot...

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:48 am »
Many moons ago, the lines were drawn on the pitch with calcium oxide - quicklime. The sweat in players' skins meant that an unwarranted fall could actually burn their skin.

A reintroduction might come in handy......
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2016, 11:50:49 am »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:44 am »
Can someone explain what "Lacross" is? I looked it up on Wikipedia and I'm still not sure how the game is played.

Offline Tad

« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:24 am »
Sorry, can't help you there.

I just wanted to say, it's the NHL playoffs! Yaaaaayyyy!!!