Author Topic: Sports  (Read 114118 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Sports
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2016, 11:26:36 am »
They banned almost all of them.

Meanwhile no Brazilian athletes were tested.

If I want sports I watch the world/european championships. The Olympics are more and more a second rate competition
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2016, 11:38:41 am »
Wow, I did not know about that! That's awful.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2016, 11:52:49 am »
I had no idea they banned them for drugs. I thought Russia's president just didn't want them in because of the mosquitos.

Offline Tad

« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »
I had no idea they banned them for drugs. I thought Russia's president just didn't want them in because of the mosquitos.

It's worse then that. The Russian gov/agencies were all in on it. They helped them cheat.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2016, 05:06:59 pm »
Why does it matter if Russia is competing or not? There are hundreds of other countries that are in. Plus, there are still a few Russian competitors who will be there. I mostly want to watch it so I can see the U.S. lose at everything.

Offline Spock

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2016, 07:13:03 pm »
The opening ceremony was worse than the one in 2014.

Offline Spock

« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:36 pm »
I thought this thread would be blowing up. Why am I the only one posting?

Offline Spock

« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2016, 10:24:27 pm »
I'm at home by myself and have no one to talk about the parade of nations with.
*Sigh
Guess it's time to say goodbye to this thread forever.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »
Hmm... Maybe they are not posting because they are watching the olymics... or just maybe... they have more important things to do than watch all the boring countries line up for all those boring sports. Just wait until next year when the world cup starts. That's when this thread will "blow up."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

Offline Tad

« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
It started close to midnight here and I had work today, so couldn't watch it.

Offline Spock

« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2016, 06:18:46 pm »
It started close to midnight here and I had work today, so couldn't watch it.
What about now? Have you watched any of it yet? Volleyball? Cycling? Swimming? Shooting? Rowing?

Offline Tad

« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2016, 12:13:59 am »
So far, I've watched:

Boxing - it was on when I got home, so only caught the end.
Judo
Women's Rugby Sevens
Rowing

So far, I'd say the rugby has been brilliant. I did catch that horrible injury with the french gymnastics too. Poor bloke, he must have been in pure agony.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
Team Murica pulled a nice set of victories in Football/Soccer and Men's Basketball, so that was nice.
Team Canada also did purty good.

Going to go see if I can find some Puerto Rico stats if they have any.
Go team New World/North America!

Offline Spock

« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2016, 08:40:10 pm »
Team Murica pulled a nice set of victories in Football/Soccer and Men's Basketball, so that was nice.
Team Canada also did purty good.

Going to go see if I can find some Puerto Rico stats if they have any.
Go team New World/North America!
Why does the American Samoa and Puerto Rico get olympic teams and they don't say anything about the U.S. Virgin Islands? Also, why can't all three  just be part of the U.S. team?

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2016, 12:30:54 am »
Why does the American Samoa and Puerto Rico get olympic teams and they don't say anything about the U.S. Virgin Islands? Also, why can't all three  just be part of the U.S. team?

The IOC is the body that basically decides, for the purposes of the Olympics, who and who doesn't qualify for the purposes of being a country. Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the Virgin Islands(they are at Rio too) in the eyes of the IOC, despite legally belonging to the US are deemed sufficiently sovereign enough to technically count as if they were representing themselves.

Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands and American Samoa, while noted above as belonging to the US, are culturally different, and with the exception of military and some foreign policy decisions are completely autonomous. They have their own laws, they can elect their own governments, set their own procedures for legal matters ect...all without US approval. Adding to this that the cultures in these areas are deemed unique enough to separate them from the traditional 50 states demographics.

For example, the US and the Virgin Islands both boycotted the 1988 games in Moscow, but Puerto Rico still sent its own team to compete.

Granted, just because the IOC says something is a country doesn't mean it actually is. They're a private organization after all.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:36:42 am by JRcade19 »