Author Topic: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!  (Read 39070 times)

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: The films of 2014: The King is back, Apes Rise and Enemies Unite!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »
I saw Godzilla last weekend and it was probably one of the best remakes I've seen in a while. I'll echo what others have been saying in that having Godzilla have limited screen time made it much more exciting whenever he actually DID appear. The action scenes were really solid and the "human" side of the story was surprisingly interesting to me as well. Interested to see where the sequels will go.

Side note: don't really know why people are calling Godzilla "too fat". Looked perfectly fine to me.  :P

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
So i saw Maleficent over the weekend. Gotta say it was interesting to say the least. I won't go into details about how it ends, but it completely changes the story of her character and Sleeping Beauty's relationship with her. My wife loved it, but i was a bit mixed.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:47 am »
I saw X-Men a week or so ago, basically the best X-Men movie release thus far.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 06:09:32 am »
Gonna watch Maleficent today! Impressions soon.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 08:36:01 am »
So i saw Maleficent over the weekend. Gotta say it was interesting to say the least. I won't go into details about how it ends, but it completely changes the story of her character and Sleeping Beauty's relationship with her. My wife loved it, but i was a bit mixed.

I am just to scared to what they did to that movie, is it anything like "Oz the great and powerful"?????????

The only reason this movie is getting made, is because of her role in Kingdom Hearts, and the recent revamped Disney games, like for the Genesis and NES ( Genesis I am talking about ). That is it, nobody would give a damn about this character. Also considering the fact, I can't use the internet for ( life ladies house/Rouges Bedroom ) anymore, viewers needs to get hard some way. It would be funny if the writers were related.

The men/boys are going to just to watch a woman move around on screen. The girls/women are going for all the fem-nazi references. Like take the Wicked Witch from "OTGAP", she was actually a nice person, and I would have married the living daylights out of her, naive self. Then you have the older sister, who is materialistic, wears too much makeup, to hide her pugly appearance. I am so glad that house dropped on her.

ALL PEOPLE REGUARDLESS OF GENDER likes these kinds of romantic topics. It is like sexpolitation without the sex part.

I am betting they did the same exact thing, as with "Snow White and Hunts Men". Where they had pathetic military, gave the queen a brother, installed side characters from other nursery rhyme stories. When she went to the forest with the several dwarfs whatever they want to call them, the armies completely over runned and invade them, like if it was a joke. The statement of this movie is that military men are the best, especially when they can't provide for jack frost, and your the stereotypical X princess.

Or better yet Alice??? Where they made her older, gaved us a lame Jabberwoker, destroyed the Mad-hatter, made the queen a cry baby, who abused her powers, and even showed off the ugly heads, rotting. Then to show off feminism, they made her into an entrepreneur.

Then there is Hanzel and Gretle:Witch Hunters. That was an nice idea, but I wished it was more like the original "Evil Dead".

Reselling the past, disheartening, and disowning our elders at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:38:04 am by RegalSin »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 04:21:14 am »

So I finally saw Transformers 4: Age of Extinction so I'll try to break it down easy

(spoilers)

What I liked:
-Obnoxious humor kept to a minimum;
-Transformers get considerably more screentime;
-Mark Whalberg's character is a huge step above Shia LeBouef's character;
-Stanley Tucci's character arc;
-Good action;
-Optimus and the bleak story;
-The new antagonist;
-The autobot played by John Goodman;

What's wrong with it:
-Kelsey Grammer's character;
-Yeager's daughter is almost as annoying as the kid from War of the Worlds;
-New roster of random Transformers crop up again and again;
-Way too long;
-Whoever writes the scripts for these Transformers movies has really no sense of continuity, because new stuff and new info gets dumped on you without much context;
-A third antagonist gets shoved into the movie and quickly dealt with;
-Dinobots were basically trailer-bait;

Offline Regis

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Loola Games Online
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:36 am »
I have not seen Transformers 4, but I have not expectation in this film. By the trailers,I can say it's just linke every Transformers movie ever made - but with new cast

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2014, 05:28:56 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy is really good, one of my favorite MCU films so far.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:24 am »
I watched Boyhood this weekend. It wasn't bad, not sure if you guys have heard of it. Basically a film about a boy who's being filmed for 12 years, the 12 year recording is basically the selling point of the movie. I mean, it's not a documentary or anything, it's a legit film with a script and actors in it, they just use the same cast for 12 consecutive years. Pretty interesting to see everyone age over such a long period of time. The story wasn't anything spectacular because it's just about a kid growing up and going through what people go through in life, but it was still a good film. 3 hours long, but didn't really seem all that long.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:36:34 pm by pirovash88 »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
I watched Boyhood this weekend. It wasn't bad, not sure if you guys have heard of it. Basically a film about a boy who's being filmed for 12 years, the 12 year recording is basically the selling point of the movie. I mean, it's not a documentary or anything, it's a legit film with a script and actors in it, they just use the same cast for 12 consecutive years. Pretty interesting to see everyone age over such a long period of time. The story wasn't anything spectacular because it's just about a kid growing up and going through what people go through in life, but it was still a good film. 3 hours long, but didn't really seem all that long.

I'm a bit interested in this movie.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2014, 10:49:46 am »
I'm a bit interested in this movie.

Well, i certainly recommend it. Godzilla, Snowpiercer, and Boyhood are the best movies of the Summer imo.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 05:12:49 am »
Saw Dumb and Dumber To last night. I was a bit leery since the reviews haven't been too glowing. The only thing worse than a bad comedy is one that's a sequel to a film you really liked. But I probably laughed out loud during this one as much as I did with the original.

Hoping to see Big Hero 6 during the holidays.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »
Saw John Wick. It felt like a pretty "honest" action movie. The gunplay was all about trick shots and accuracy, not spinning around in the air. the close combat was all quick movements of the limbs, not like sweeping movements. Camera work in action scenes were super focused.

dialogue was all right. the edgy cheesy stuff was kept to a minimum, except for one scene.

I would recommend it though. I liked it quite a bit.

And of course, if anyone here hasn't seen Gone Girl - get on that shit immediately
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »
For me, Gone Girl was the best movie of the year, followed by Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and John Wick. X-Men: Days of Future of Past was well done, but I didn't get as much out of it seeing as how I passed on First Class. I intend to see it though.

Godzilla wasn't bad, though once was enough. The only human characters I enjoyed were either relegated to supporting roles or killed off. Godzilla himself looked amazing, but you rarely see him. I'll stick to the 1954 original. Sure, Godzilla doesn't have much screen time there, though it actually builds some genuine suspense and the human characters are far more engaging.

The absolute worst were The Quiet Ones (plodding and completely devoid of suspense and/or terror), Quija (poor writing, from the frightless paper-thin plot to the one-dimensional characters) and the atrocious Deliver Us from Evil (every tired cliche from the horror and police procedural genres, wrapped in flash that does very little to mask the lack of substance).
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:12 pm »
I'd rate Gone Girl as the best film of the year so far as well, followed closely by The Wind Rises (Dubbed 2014 version).

I was actually looking forward to Deliver Us from Evil as I thought the trailer looked pretty good, but the reviews kept me away.