Author Topic: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake being revealed soon  (Read 10379 times)

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1

http://www.thedragonstrap.com/

BTW, just in case anyone was wondering, this has nothing to do with that other new game, Monster Boy.

DotEmu and Lizard Cube have launched a countdown website for Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap. Two days from now, a game related in some way to Wonder Boy III will be announced. At the moment, all visitors can do is see a new promotional image, see how much longer until the announcement is made, and submit an email address to be notified when new information is available.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/31/wonder-boy-dragons-trap-countdown-website-opened/

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake being revealed soon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Wow, this came up from nowhere.
So this is why Monster Boy couldn't use its franchise's name, DotEMu has secured it first.
I presume this is for mobile only?

Edit :

Added links :

an announcement link at SMSPower forum by one of its admin (Bock/Omar, the creator of MEKA, Master System emulator) : http://www.smspower.org/forums/16099-OfficialModernRemakeOfWonderBoyTheDragonsTrap

Devlog :
 https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50899.0
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:40:10 pm by Berto »

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

This definitely has my interest. About 20 hours to go for the reveal.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »
Not seeing any SEGA copyrights, are we sure this is legally sanctioned?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »
Bock describes it as official. He and his partner are industry vets, and dotEmu specializes in licensing classic IPs, so I expect it's legit.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:55:25 am »
Wow, this looks much better than I was expecting. I always wanted to see more sidescrollers with hand drawn animation as a kid.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 01:20:00 pm »
hmm.. could it be that Sega only owns the IP to "Wonder Boy" when used with "Monster World/Monster Land"?

WB3:Dragon's Trap was conspicuously missing from the "Monster World" compilation they recently released.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 01:57:25 pm »
That is a good point, maybe this was the one that got away from SEGA.

Offline MykonosFan

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »
Looks fantastic. I've been curious about these games for a while, seems like a perfect way to get my foot in the door.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 03:22:29 pm »
I bought Wonder Boy III for the Master System not too long ago for crazy cheap, CIB. Like $5-10. The game shop had a whole stack of games and I left with stuff like that and Golvellius and a few other SMS RPGs, each for $5-10.

Offline Randroid

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
Good find! Wonder Boy 3 is fantastic. Best game of the 8bit generation IMO.

The game's got charm for days and plays just as fresh as when it was released. This remake looks fantastic too. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:20:52 pm by Randroid »

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 06:36:28 pm »
I want to be excited.....but I don't know. Something tells me that there's a chance that SEGA might want to do something to bring this down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want this game as I sure as hell would love it to happen since its been years to happen as it looks very faithful to the original.

I'm just saying that if SEGA notices this and finds a way to cancel it, it might not be worth the hype. SEGA, for the love of god, please don't cancel it.

I've watched the video several times....can't stop getting hyped for this game!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »
SEGA wont cancel it.
I have only ever known SEGA to send one C&D letter for any fan game and that was Beats of Rage. (The company were trying to make money off of the fan game that was using SEGA's own code and assets.)

But if you look at fan games like Sonic Before the Sequal... and a million other SEGA fangames. SEGA have grounds to take those games down, but never have. And there are some really quality fan games.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:50:13 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Randroid

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »
SEGA wont cancel it.
I have only ever known SEGA to send one C&D letter for any fan game and that was Beats of Rage. (The company were trying to make money off of the fan game that was using SEGA's own code and assets.)

But if you look at fan games like Sonic Before the Sequal... and a million other SEGA fangames. SEGA have grounds to take those games down, but never have. And there are some really quality fan games.

If I recall correctly Sega issued a C&D to the Bomber Games crew for the Streets of Rage Remake which was 100% original code. Although they did use retouched versions of the original sprites. In that case though, the IP was clearly in Sega's hands, which I'm not sure is the case here. Also, Bomber never publicized the way this WB3 remake is publicizing, which would leave me to believe Sega would have already shut it down before getting to this point.

Sega is pretty good at handling these things though. Even with the Streets of Rage Remake block, they did it just after release, ensuring all those who were following the project closely to already download it and distribute it privately. Everybody wins. Sega protects their IP, Bomber Games solidify their Fan-Dev status, gamers following the project get to enjoy the game.

I would imagine with Lizard Cube putting out trailers, they've squared away any licensing roadblocks.

Chances are, Sega just doesn't have the rights to this one WonderBoy game. Even in its day, it was released on other platforms. Very very curious.