Author Topic: What if: Sega Cinematic Universe  (Read 12979 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: What if: Sega Cinematic Universe
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 10:10:52 pm »
In my list I chose any of the three cops from Virtua Cop 2 for the role of both sharp shooter and tech-guy. I like to imagine the "Virtua Cop movie" being about SFPD cops who are promoted to a brand new division of SWAT that uses Dr. Robotnik's old technology. Not only do they use specially made guns that shoot "stun rounds" but also have his drone tech and maybe PDA's that look like modern mobile devices (the same PDAs AMS end up using.)

I can imagine Janet ending up a member of Team SEGA. While not girly-girl she could probably still be more girly than Sarah Bryant.

While I don't play Virtua Fighter that much, the Sarah Bryant I imagine is someone more casual and mature. Her story could be she feels she's stuck in her brothers shadow, has expectations of others and know more about Judgement 6 than the others but not who they are.

As much as I would love to see the Sega Cinematic Universe unfold... it's likely Sega are not gonna.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 11:52:35 pm »
Janet is a nice choice.
She could be like Black Widow.
Not too girly but still always show compassion to her partners, especially to Hulk.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 10:51:02 am »
I like to imagine her a bit girlier than Black Widow but not too girly. Like, if Janet and Sarah Bryant were the only two girls on the team then I imagine Sarah would be a bit more mature. Sarah will probably keep her cool composure around the team while Janet will probably be more relaxed around others. She is both a cop and a tech-savvy after all.

But if I wanted a girly-girl fighter I could probably switch out Sarah Bryant for Honey, but her schtick is wanting to be a fashion designer who happens to be a street fighter so I dunno why Commander Walters would choose her over Sarah Bryant who has some experiance with J6.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 02:53:14 pm »
[Sonic 2 movie spoiler]

Going along with my Sega Cinematic Universe idea, what if other Sega movies were made, but each involved the Chaos Emeralds in some way? Just like the Infinity Stones arc in MCU, what if the SCU does something similar with the Chaos Emeralds ending up in other Sega movies outside of Sonic?

These movies will all still be their own separate stories (the very least taking place on Wachowski's Earth and maybe some of them acknowledging but ignoring the events of Sonic's movies) just share a same cinematic universe where elements from one another may crossover.
In the end of Sonic 2, Sonic [sends the Chaos Emeralds upwards to who knows where. Maybe they're scattered across the world, the universe, maybe into the Special Zone if the movies will have one.] What if they were scattered across the world and were eventually found and involved in other movies outside of the Sonic films?

For example, what if The House of the Dead gets a movie adaption based on the events from the first game? Rogan and G go to the main chamber holding the BioReactor and see the awakening of Magician who has crazy pyrokinesis powers. The fight accidentally destroys the BioReactor and they defeat the Magician.
Then a mid-credit (or perhaps post-credit scene) shows other AMS agents (Maybe potential sequel movie agents) looking through the wreckage of the BioReactor wondering how Dr. Curien was capable of creating a machine that produce enough power to create such abominations with ease... then their PDAs start to go haywire and they approach a part of the machine which contains a small diamond-cut shaped crystal glowing and giving off electrical power.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:04:57 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 09:24:02 pm »
That would be cool. Jumping from one SEGA universe to others.

I can imagine this worked for Rhythm Thief too.

When Raphael wondered on how *spoiler* could bring Napeleon from the past, turned out he used this small diamond-cut shaped crystal glowing and giving off time travel power.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 04:17:33 am »
That would be cool. Jumping from one SEGA universe to others.

I can imagine this worked for Rhythm Thief too.

When Raphael wondered on how *spoiler* could bring Napeleon from the past, turned out he used this small diamond-cut shaped crystal glowing and giving off time travel power.
Keep in mind I know the actual Sega games each have their own separate continuities and all that. (Except NiGHTS, I wonder if NiGHTS take place on the same world the Sonic games take place just mostly takes place in dreams.)

I just know that if Paramount ever made movie adaptions of games it's very likely they will rewrite and add to the games stories to fit in the movies (Such as how obvious this Sonic is different from this Sonic).

And given Sonic's movie takes place on Earth where he is regarded as an alien I just see this Earth as a great potential for other Sega movies to take place on and share a cinematic universe. And given Sonic is (relatively) a secret on this planet means other events such as World Fighting Tournaments of bio-infestation outbreaks could happen on the same Earth Sonic now reside on. (Though I imagine it hard to cover up citywide zombie outbreaks.)

With the Chaos Emeralds now scattered across Wachowski's world, these emeralds can end up in the business of other movies as tools used by either good guys or bad guys to instigate their events.
I can't think of any other Sega games that make use of diamond-cut jewelry (other than Power stones but that's more of a Capcom game than Sega) But I can imagine cinematic-versions of Nakahara or Mr. X find one of the small Chaos Emeralds. Not understanding their origins or names, just the power they provide which they used to catalyse their organizations. Something like that. that way if Sonic ever has to collect the Chaos Emeralds again he could crossover to these other games to pick them up.

(And going along with my Virtua-Tech idea, Stone [now undercover as a GUN agent, though that could be means of escape than to infiltrate GUN] could still take over some tech company and turn it into a corporate empire that is a front to make Badniks. It could be the same company that provides advance SWAT technology to Virtua Cops and sponsor the World Fighting Tournament to make their own fighting robot. Imagine, Dr. Robotnik in charge of Dural!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 04:29:31 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 04:04:03 am »
Keep in mind I know the actual Sega games each have their own separate continuities and all that. (Except NiGHTS, I wonder if NiGHTS take place on the same world the Sonic games take place just mostly takes place in dreams.)

Yeah, and also these are sharing same universe :

1. Space Harrier with Fantasy Zone
2. Eternal Champions with Chicago Syndicate with X-Perts
3. Virtua Cop with Emergency Call Ambulance
4. Football Manager with Championship Manager
5. Dynamite Deka with Golden Axe (hundred years difference, but still ...)
6. Burning Rangers with real world of NiGHTS
7. Genesis' Spider-Man with Shinobi
8. Segata Sanshiro with Sakura Wars (according to PXZ2, years difference too)
9. Bug and Sonic
10. Space Channel 5 with Moonwalker
11. Puyo Puyo and Madō Monogatari
12. E-Swat with Streets of Rage

I just know that if Paramount ever made movie adaptions of games it's very likely they will rewrite and add to the games stories to fit in the movies (Such as how obvious this Sonic is different from this Sonic).

Just like in Archie comics then. Archie Sonic, Sonic Boom, and Sonic X are from different universe.

And given Sonic's movie takes place on Earth where he is regarded as an alien I just see this Earth as a great potential for other Sega movies to take place on and share a cinematic universe. And given Sonic is (relatively) a secret on this planet means other events such as World Fighting Tournaments of bio-infestation outbreaks could happen on the same Earth Sonic now reside on. (Though I imagine it hard to cover up citywide zombie outbreaks.)

With the Chaos Emeralds now scattered across Wachowski's world, these emeralds can end up in the business of other movies as tools used by either good guys or bad guys to instigate their events.
I can't think of any other Sega games that make use of diamond-cut jewelry (other than Power stones but that's more of a Capcom game than Sega) But I can imagine cinematic-versions of Nakahara or Mr. X find one of the small Chaos Emeralds. Not understanding their origins or names, just the power they provide which they used to catalyse their organizations. Something like that. that way if Sonic ever has to collect the Chaos Emeralds again he could crossover to these other games to pick them up.

(And going along with my Virtua-Tech idea, Stone [now undercover as a GUN agent, though that could be means of escape than to infiltrate GUN] could still take over some tech company and turn it into a corporate empire that is a front to make Badniks. It could be the same company that provides advance SWAT technology to Virtua Cops and sponsor the World Fighting Tournament to make their own fighting robot. Imagine, Dr. Robotnik in charge of Dural!)

That would be cool. I always wanted to see how proud of Jimbotnik after creating Metal Sonic later in Sonic 3 (if it ever happened), but why should stop at Metal when he could create Dural.
Both Metal and Dural seems have something in common, they're both kinda emotionless.

And what's happened when Dural could use the chaos emeralds...
Man, the possibilities...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 04:13:55 am by Berto »

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 06:22:20 am »
Yeah, and also these are sharing same universe :

1. Space Harrier with Fantasy Zone
2. Eternal Champions with Chicago Syndicate with X-Perts
3. Virtua Cop with Emergency Call Ambulance
4. Football Manager with Championship Manager
5. Dynamite Deka with Golden Axe (hundred years difference, but still ...)
6. Burning Rangers with real world of NiGHTS
7. Genesis' Spider-Man with Shinobi
8. Segata Sanshiro with Sakura Wars (according to PXZ2, years difference too)
9. Bug and Sonic
10. Space Channel 5 with Moonwalker
11. Puyo Puyo and Madō Monogatari
12. E-Swat with Streets of Rage

Some of these you're gonna have to explain to me. I mean I know Sonic was in Bug! but I regard that more of a cameo than a proper crossover. Some of them I understand but not all of them.
(That E-SWAT guy looks like Megaman on steroids.)

But yeah if any of these IPs get cinematic adaptions it's likely these adaptions won't be 100% accurate to the games, so I don't see why not mixing it up a little for a Sega Cinematic Universe.

While I'm still holding out for it, I have my doubts given Jeff Fowler seems more interested in building a "Sonic Cinematic Universe" and Sega nor Paramount made any announcements for any other Sega films.
Just like in Archie comics then. Archie Sonic, Sonic Boom, and Sonic X are from different universe.
Pretty much yeah. And while each Sonic reality is extremely similar it still has it's own rules. Like how most of the cartoons take place on Mobius/Sonic's own planet, Sonic X takes place on Earth and Archie's pre-SGW Mobius is actually post-apoc Earth while the games take place on Sonic's own Earth and stuff like that. The movie clearly establishes Sonic as an alien and that the Earth he resides on is mostly like our planet Earth. Though the movie sequel did introduce concepts unique to the game on Earth.
That would be cool. I always wanted to see how proud of Jimbotnik after creating Metal Sonic later in Sonic 3 (if it ever happened), but why should stop at Metal when he could create Dural.
Both Metal and Dural seems have something in common, they're both kinda emotionless.

And what's happened when Dural could use the chaos emeralds...
Man, the possibilities...
Another thing Dural has in common with badniks is that they are robots that are powered by living beings. Badniks have little animals while Dural had Kage-Maru's mother.

Though the badniks in the movie are clearly not powered by little animals.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:13:58 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 04:29:53 am »
Some of these you're gonna have to explain to me.
Some of them I understand but not all of them.
(That E-SWAT guy looks like Megaman on steroids.)

Which one? I'll gladly explained.

Streets of Rage and E-Swat?
Sharing universe or not is decided by the game creator, not by fans.
This one was from Hiroaki Chino who served as a game designer for both E-SWAT and the first Streets of Rage (and later Sonic CD).
Streets of Rage is actually started as E-Swat's spin-off called D-Swat.

The D stood for Dragon so the SOR protagonists were named The Dragon SWAT.
It's changed a lot during the development of the game, but they kept the E-Swat police as a helper.
Yup, the one who launch bazooka when we press A.

I mean I know Sonic was in Bug!
but I regard that more of a cameo than a proper crossover.

Once again, sharing universe or not is decided by the game creator, not by fans.
Bug was started as Sonic 3D game by David Warhol and friends on Realtime Associates.
It is a game in Sonic world even though they had to change Sonic became Bug, rings became blue crystals, etc due to SEGA of Japan's order.
Of course they don't want Sonic model (based on Sonic 3) that they had implemented in the game go to waste so they put Sonic as cameo.

More of it could be read at "Playing at The Next Level" book by Ken Horowitz
Or short version is here taken from Segasaturnshiro page :

1994 was one of the best years for the Genesis business, and that sales trend looked set to continue into 1995.
Saturn was not yet needed in America.
Best to wait until interest in the Genesis began to wane, by which time more American-centric games – including a killer app appropriate for the region – would be available for a strong Saturn launch.
But Nakayama did not yield, SEGA of America had no choice but to quietly – hurriedly – prepare for a May 1995 release.
Sonic the Hedgehog was synonymous with SEGA, so late in 1994 SEGA of America wrote a contract with Realtime Associates to develop a fully 3D Sonic game to be ready for the launch.

At some point, SEGA of Japan caught wind of their belligerent American branch’s antics in signing over the company’s star mascot to… gasp!… an American developer, and completely lost their sushi.
Realtime Associates was NOT – under ANY circumstances – to make a Sonic game.
In order to salvage the progress already made, Sonic et al. were taken out of the game and replaced with an original creation.
Sonic became Bug, rings became blue crystals, yellow springs became yellow mushrooms, and so on.
Those gamers that swear that there are eerie similarities between Sonic and Bug! can feel vindicated; at least a fraction of what is in Bug! was intended for Mr. Sonic T. Hedgehog.
Had it not been for internal strife between the Japanese and American divisions of SEGA, a 3D Sonic title would have been available right for the Saturn’s launch, long before gamers would get a glimpse of Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot.

Link : https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/2019/10/10/bug-the-green-machine/

But yeah if any of these IPs get cinematic adaptions it's likely these adaptions won't be 100% accurate to the games, so I don't see why not mixing it up a little for a Sega Cinematic Universe.

While I'm still holding out for it, I have my doubts given Jeff Fowler seems more interested in building a "Sonic Cinematic Universe" and Sega nor Paramount made any announcements for any other Sega films.Pretty much yeah. And while each Sonic reality is extremely similar it still has it's own rules. Like how most of the cartoons take place on Mobius/Sonic's own planet, Sonic X takes place on Earth and Archie's pre-SGW Mobius is actually post-apoc Earth while the games take place on Sonic's own Earth and stuff like that. The movie clearly establishes Sonic as an alien and that the Earth he resides on is mostly like our planet Earth. Though the movie sequel did introduce concepts unique to the game on Earth.

Yeah, I have a feeling Jeff Fowler only planned to make Sonic movie trilogy and then out.
The ball is on Paramount, whether they're willing to make it more than "Sonic Cinematic Universe" or not.

Another thing Dural has in common with badniks is that they are robots that are powered by living beings. Badniks have little animals while Dural had Kage-Maru's mother.

Though the badniks in the movie are clearly not powered by little animals.

May be in movie version Dural could be powered by chaos emerald instead.
Kage has no reason to fight in the tournament though so story about him has to be changed too.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2022, 04:55:01 am »
Which one? I'll gladly explained.

Streets of Rage and E-Swat?
Sharing universe or not is decided by the game creator, not by fans.
This one was from Hiroaki Chino who served as a game designer for both E-SWAT and the first Streets of Rage (and later Sonic CD).
Streets of Rage is actually started as E-Swat's spin-off called D-Swat.

The D stood for Dragon so the SOR protagonists were named The Dragon SWAT.
It's changed a lot during the development of the game, but they kept the E-Swat police as a helper.
Yup, the one who launch bazooka when we press A.

Aaah, that makes sense. I guess that police car guy became a cyborg later on.
Once again, sharing universe or not is decided by the game creator, not by fans.
Bug was started as Sonic 3D game by David Warhol and friends on Realtime Associates.
It is a game in Sonic world even though they had to change Sonic became Bug, rings became blue crystals, etc due to SEGA of Japan's order.
Of course they don't want Sonic model (based on Sonic 3) that they had implemented in the game go to waste so they put Sonic as cameo.

More of it could be read at "Playing at The Next Level" book by Ken Horowitz
Or short version is here taken from Segasaturnshiro page :

1994 was one of the best years for the Genesis business, and that sales trend looked set to continue into 1995.
Saturn was not yet needed in America.
Best to wait until interest in the Genesis began to wane, by which time more American-centric games – including a killer app appropriate for the region – would be available for a strong Saturn launch.
But Nakayama did not yield, SEGA of America had no choice but to quietly – hurriedly – prepare for a May 1995 release.
Sonic the Hedgehog was synonymous with SEGA, so late in 1994 SEGA of America wrote a contract with Realtime Associates to develop a fully 3D Sonic game to be ready for the launch.

At some point, SEGA of Japan caught wind of their belligerent American branch’s antics in signing over the company’s star mascot to… gasp!… an American developer, and completely lost their sushi.
Realtime Associates was NOT – under ANY circumstances – to make a Sonic game.
In order to salvage the progress already made, Sonic et al. were taken out of the game and replaced with an original creation.
Sonic became Bug, rings became blue crystals, yellow springs became yellow mushrooms, and so on.
Those gamers that swear that there are eerie similarities between Sonic and Bug! can feel vindicated; at least a fraction of what is in Bug! was intended for Mr. Sonic T. Hedgehog.
Had it not been for internal strife between the Japanese and American divisions of SEGA, a 3D Sonic title would have been available right for the Saturn’s launch, long before gamers would get a glimpse of Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot.

Link : https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/2019/10/10/bug-the-green-machine/
I remember Sonic in Bug! but given it was an abrupt cameo and the size of the characters I thought it was just soemthing they added in their for fun. Also isn't the story of Bug! games take place on a movie set? So even if they're set on Sonic's world and Bug is actually a mobian insect that doesn't mean the events are real.
Yeah, I have a feeling Jeff Fowler only planned to make Sonic movie trilogy and then out.
The ball is on Paramount, whether they're willing to make it more than "Sonic Cinematic Universe" or not.

May be in movie version Dural could be powered by chaos emerald instead.
Kage has no reason to fight in the tournament though so story about him has to be changed too.
Perhaps. I can imagine Chaos Emeralds giving at least a portion of enhanced strength and power to an individual when "placed" inside themselves.

Offline Berto

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2022, 08:46:54 pm »
I remember Sonic in Bug! but given it was an abrupt cameo and the size of the characters I thought it was just soemthing they added in their for fun. Also isn't the story of Bug! games take place on a movie set? So even if they're set on Sonic's world and Bug is actually a mobian insect that doesn't mean the events are real.

Yes, Bug is an actor so the events aren't real, lol. Once again according to "Playing at The Next Level" book by Ken Horowitz (this is one of the best SEGA history book, every SEGA fan got to read this): David Warhol said he, “was not a fan of the story-driven platform / action game, feeling that the gameplay itself, if engaging enough, would be sufficient motivation to keep playing, with few, if any, story references.” That's why he made the events aren't real, something like Altered Beast arcade ending.

Perhaps. I can imagine Chaos Emeralds giving at least a portion of enhanced strength and power to an individual when "placed" inside themselves.

I wonder what's happened if an already strong ones like Eternal/Dark Champion had them...

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2022, 06:38:01 am »
Yes, Bug is an actor so the events aren't real, lol. Once again according to "Playing at The Next Level" book by Ken Horowitz (this is one of the best SEGA history book, every SEGA fan got to read this): David Warhol said he, “was not a fan of the story-driven platform / action game, feeling that the gameplay itself, if engaging enough, would be sufficient motivation to keep playing, with few, if any, story references.” That's why he made the events aren't real, something like Altered Beast arcade ending.

That I understand. Plus Clockwork Knight did the "Toys secretly coming to life" thing a bit better than Toy Story.
I wonder what's happened if an already strong ones like Eternal/Dark Champion had them...
Alterior forces might be what grants the fighters their powers.

For example, while I found the 2021 Mortal Kombat movie rather meh, I liked the concept of "arcana" explaining why every Earth-realm fighter have sme inhuman fighting power. How it is something earned that enhances the fighter than just something they just the ability to shoot fireballs or flash-freeze opponents with no real reasons other "mystical martial arts".

If Jeff Fowler or Paramount really want to make a Sega Cinematic Universe, they could easily explain the reasons why certain humans are ridiculously buffed could be they have found a Chaos Emerald. And Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) or GUN or Dr. Robotnik (with possibly a new ally) have to go around collecting them.

Offline Berto

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2022, 08:52:55 pm »
For example, while I found the 2021 Mortal Kombat movie rather meh, I liked the concept of "arcana" explaining why every Earth-realm fighter have sme inhuman fighting power. How it is something earned that enhances the fighter than just something they just the ability to shoot fireballs or flash-freeze opponents with no real reasons other "mystical martial arts".

2021 MK has a better story than 1995 MK indeed but yet it's not as fun to watch as 1995 MK, I wonder why.
Scorpion and Sub Zero are much cooler and yet the movie has no charm that could rival the 1995 version.

If Jeff Fowler or Paramount really want to make a Sega Cinematic Universe, they could easily explain the reasons why certain humans are ridiculously buffed could be they have found a Chaos Emerald. And Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles) or GUN or Dr. Robotnik (with possibly a new ally) have to go around collecting them.

This is just in. May be if Streets of Rage Movie turn out to be succesful, Paramount would consider making SEGA Cinematic Universe.

Streets of Rage Movie in the works with John Wick creator behind the project

Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog movie’s success has now gotten the studio interested in going forward with a movie based on Streets of Rage.
This project will be done under dj2 Entertainment, who recently also signed a contract with Amazon to adapt the video game “It Takes Two” to film or TV.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/04/18/streets-of-rage-movie-in-the-works-with-john-wick-creator-behind-the-project/

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 05:16:30 am »
2021 MK has a better story than 1995 MK indeed but yet it's not as fun to watch as 1995 MK, I wonder why.
Scorpion and Sub Zero are much cooler and yet the movie has no charm that could rival the 1995 version.
You perhaps answered your question. The first movie had charm. Yeah it was a bit cheesy but that just applied to the charm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBS8WYKYggA

The 2021 was more about explaining the lore and preparing for a tournament only for them to decide to have at it then and there. Granted I like how "arcana" explains why everyone has super combat powers but they could of just stuck them on the island and let them do their thing.
This is just in. May be if Streets of Rage Movie turn out to be succesful, Paramount would consider making SEGA Cinematic Universe.

Streets of Rage Movie in the works with John Wick creator behind the project

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/04/18/streets-of-rage-movie-in-the-works-with-john-wick-creator-behind-the-project/
Aw hell yeah! And If I could just ask to Mr. Kolstad, it doesn't have to be in Wood Oak City or too accurate to the original games. Or even need modern cinematography equipment! Imagine if it turns out similar to Kung Fury in quality and humour.

Or the very-very least ask John Carpenter to co-produce. Because not only did he made some of the greatest action movies of the '80s to mid-90s but we all know he's a Sonic fan. So he would know the right formula to go with for a Sega Cinematic Universe.

And it doesn't have to have Sonic or GUN or anyone from Green Hills, just confirmation to take place on the same world as Gren Hills is on.

Hoo-boy, let's see how it goes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:12:59 am by Mystic Monkey »