Author Topic: Leadership  (Read 10608 times)

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Leadership
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:03:50 pm »
I'm in trouble.

There is this course at the university. Its sole purpose is to make a computer program from start to finish. This means everything the system does has to be planned and documented, programming is just a portion of the whole deal.

This is where my problem starts.

The students are supposed to split in groups of four or five people. Each of these groups has a manager, or leader, or whatever you'd like to call it, who contacts directly with the professors and deals with the internal matters of the group.

I was forced by my colleagues to be their manager.

I usually have some trouble expressing my thoughts. When things don't happen the way I envision them, I freak out and become an asshole towards the others in my team. This has happened before in a similar course. I was forced manager: at first we were five but we ended four, I yelled some times and I even got to the point of saying "I don't give a fuck, just get it done, use desenrascanço." (oddly this worked).

This brings me to an e-mail message I received today, concerning the task at hand right now: document how the program will work. How do you document something? If you thought of a structured text, detailing every possible aspect, you are correct.

But this isn't on the e-mail I got. I received a mere list of bulletpoints, some of which were ideas I had written on a piece of paper while I was in the toilet. This is just from one person and I'm scared the others follow suit. How is one supposed to create a document if every person in the team decides to pull one of these stunts? What's worse is that we had classes instructing on how to write these pieces. Hell, while pointing at his keynote, the professor said "If you write this on your report, I will fail you." The person who wrote the e-mail went right ahead and the first sentence (lacking a better word) he wrote was exactly what the professor forbid.

I wasn't cut out to be the man in charge. I'd like to know what you would say to my colleague. I don't know what to tell him (besides "is this a joke?"). I hardly know the guy, I don't want things to become bitter right at the start. Even though I said I was going to be a cunt when the team made me their leader.

Anyway. I'm looking for tips on leadership. Do you have them, Sega Bits? Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: Leadership
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:31 am »
... ¬_¬ Im often the production manager of our productions and im a twat to people.

...I used to think my manager at work was a twat then I realised... you kind of have to shout to be in charge.

If some guy is fucking up and doing what he's not supposed to tell him flat out. "You know you can't do this, it was plainly stated on the Keynote presentation, sort it out."

the good thing is as leader you can assign jobs, you want someone to re do it tell them! I got one guy to redo a piece of research 6 times because every time he spelt something wrong or had copy and pasted it.

Good luck!

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: Leadership
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:28:52 am »
I just did it. It wasn't bad at all, I was expecting a bad reaction. It's all cool, for now.

Thanks!