Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

The Wonder Boy/Monster World thread

(1/40) > >>

SOUP:
I've only beaten the last two titles in the series, but even at that, I'm surprised this series doesn't get more attention nowadays. 
These are hands down some of the best 16-bit titles I've played, and they're just overflowing with character.

I finally finished Wonder Boy in Monster World yesterday, and I'd probably put it just behind Monster World IV.  The combat's a bit tougher than Monster World IV, but you can equip a spear to give you a bit more of an attack range. Instead of the episodic levels of Monster World IV, everything is interconnected in a Metroid meets Zelda kind of way.
The only real downside to Wonder Boy in Monster World that I found, was that the final boss is ridiculous. The entire screen is trying to kill you, while you jump around on a treadmill, trying to avoid a buzz saw in the ground, and every once in a while hitting the actual boss.

I'd like to give  Wonder Boy in Monster Land a shot, but if it's any thougher than this one, I doubt that I'll be able to beat it.

Also: The emulation on these Vintage Collection games is fantastic.

Centrale:
Which version of Wonder Boy in Monster World is it?  The Genesis/Mega Drive, I presume?  I really want to play it.  I finished Monster World IV a few months back and it's a masterpiece.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land is cool, but obviously since it's the earliest of the series (well, aside from just plain Wonder Boy), it's more basic than the later games.  But it's still got a very pleasant atmosphere.  It is hard as nails though.

SOUP:
Yeah. It's the Genesis & Mega Drive version (there's a region select in the emulator menu).
If you liked Monster World IV at all, I'd definitely recommend it. The main character will seem quite a bit clunkier to control than Asha, but things get better once you upgrade the equipment.

It's interesting to see the little things that join the two games together story-wise too.

I'll definitely have to at least give Wonder Boy in Monster Land a shot then. I'll just be a bit bummed out if I can't finish it.

Sega Uranus:
I am not sure why I shunned the series for so long, but after fully completing it I consider Monster World IV one of my favorite games of all time now, so I really want to get into the rest. I have played them all previously, but not extensively.

I have always heard The Dragon's Trap is the best in the series, so I am not sure if I should go into that first or save it for last. Most would probably tell me to check out the Master System version, but I think the worse resolution in the Game Gear release will make it overall a bit easier.

Monster Land is actually pretty forgiving, way way easier than Monster World. Just be sure to ignore the boot upgrades!

Another very similar game I think everyone here should check out is Chiki Chiki Boys/Mega Twins. I prefer the Genesis version, but there are too many variations to count. Fantastic game.

Fake edit: Another another great similar game to check out is Tomba, which was just released on the PSN last week. I love the game, but not as much as I remember I did back in the day. Still very good fun.

SOUP:
Thanks for the tips on the boots.
I really want to try out Dragon's Trap, but I think I'll hold out for a Vintage Collection release of the remaining games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version