Author Topic: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread  (Read 48475 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
I know, right? It's looking really good. Like almost the same quality as the 2D stages in Generations. Though those were a bit more detailed, with a further back camera and more depth to the background.

So the four zones are looking to be:

• Aquatic Ruins HD remix
• Winter Theme Park (with underwater sections?)
• Desert Oil Refinery
• mystery stage, perhaps taking place on the invention floating in the sky? A Death Egg Little Planet?

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »
I wonder how the music will be? Will Jun finally get access to the instruments he originally wanted to use during Episode 1? Will we ever see footage soon? Find out whenever more information comes!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »
Well at least it sells on the visual department, which is something sonic usually does but episode 1 didn't even succeed in. The screenshots look beautiful, stunning.

However I am dissapointed to see the badnik bubbles back to be used as homing fodder again.

And since it looks so forced again, I think it's unlikely that i'll be able to play with tails alone to avoid that kind of gameplay.

So yeah, i gotta be honest that I set myself the standard that I was gonna play with tails if the homing attack was gonna be forced. It seems I can forget about that one.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:52 pm »
Possible release date is 5/16. Microsoft posted it and quickly removed it.

D'oh!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »
I stand by my opinion that the Homing Attack is a natural progression of Sonics skill set, it works well in 3D and 2D. I saw LOTS of people confessing that they actually enjoyed turning on the homing attack for classic Sonic in Generations.

Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 07:30:43 am »
I stand by my opinion that the Homing Attack is a natural progression of Sonics skill set, it works well in 3D and 2D. I saw LOTS of people confessing that they actually enjoyed turning on the homing attack for classic Sonic in Generations.

Agreed. One thing I've said again and again: every 2D Sonic sequel made additions to Sonic's skill set - spin dash in Sonic 2, insta-shield in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and homing attack in Sonic 4. This is not to say that the homing attack, or any of the other skills, make their respective games better than the past games. I think some Sonic fans nerd rage over the fact that some people liked the homing attack, thinking that people who liked it think that the past games are now shit by comparison. No way is that true. It's just that it's nice to see the series making additions that aren't characters. With Episode 2's supposed revamped physics, the game may very well play great with or without the homing attack. Playing Generations 2D stages with homing attack was a lot of fun, because with the Genesis-like physics, I could play the game with less focus on the homing attack, but it was still there to use if I wanted to or needed to.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:45 am »
Natural progression? So what was bad or wrong about the sensation a player got from regular bouncing? It worked in sonic CD and even sonic generations to set itself apart from the modern gameplay didn't it? I mean if something is like a natural progression, the idea of going back and losing such a move in future installments should feel like a regression. The regular way encourages more interaction over automation so in my opinion the games are just as much fun if not better without it.

And to be honest even the people who like the homing attack disliked the way s4e1 didn't really build original elements around the homing attack. It did indeed feel like, home attack this, then home attack that, then here at the bubbles you mash the buttons 3 times etc etc. Allthough it's still not clear wether there will be original things built around the feature, what we do know is that bubbles is back to remove the optionality of the move. One could say you could just fly over them, but yeah doing that may be even more silly than it sounds.

Edit: Yay 1000th post
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:02:31 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:02 am »
Natural progression? So what was bad or wrong about the sensation a player got from regular bouncing?
Nothing... Why not have both.
There are elements of Episode 1 that use the homing attack, like the chain of enemies to get to higher areas, that's totally fine with me.

It's like the people that complain that you can now 'mash' the attack button in PSO2, you can and thats fine but if you don't want too... Don't theres still the option for times rhythmic attacks which will net you extra damage.

But Sonic is not that complex, so either use it or if for what ever strange reason it offends you... Then don't use it.
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:55 am »
Having elements like that changes the level design and if someone wants a classic momentuam based platformer, this is not its not natural progression. It's clearly shown though the continual declining sales of the Sonic series that perhaps sticking to such elements that have pushed Sonic fans away is not such a good idea either.

But not point in discussing it now, while that is an issue, I would like to see how the physics are before we move on other matters. Also glad they've finally decided to release Sonic in another month not called November.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
Episode 2 will no longer have uncurling, so homing attack *might* be less forced. Roll off a ramp, encounter a string of enemies and you can either bop through them classic style or homing attack them.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:12 am »
Nothing... Why not have both.
There are elements of Episode 1 that use the homing attack, like the chain of enemies to get to higher areas, that's totally fine with me.

It's like the people that complain that you can now 'mash' the attack button in PSO2, you can and thats fine but if you don't want too... Don't theres still the option for times rhythmic attacks which will net you extra damage.

But Sonic is not that complex, so either use it or if for what ever strange reason it offends you... Then don't use it.
I agree we should have both, hence there shouldnt be elements that force it imo. I think you can't compare it with PSO2's hold button to keep attacking, but more along the line of button spamdashing in generations. Basically, allready existing features with different activations. Allthough it's still hard to compare since the impact on the gameplay is different for both games.

The 3d games HA(I say 3d games because the HA in sonic advance 2 and the rush games were useless) in a pure 2d game has been new since s4e1. It's strange decision when all these new games didn't have it and then see it introduced in a game that's supposed to play like even earlier games, but then again the physics and recently barry's converse with ArchangelUK in the podcast make sense of it all.

@Barry, well that's another thing:P Hope bouncing works the way it did like either generations or the classics. I think they did in the 3ds version of generations so i'd be very happy with that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:19:48 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »
I simply don't see the homing attack as anything but a good option that gives Sonic another dimention. I imagine if Sonic had had the same fanbase back then as it does now people would be complaining about Sonic 2's spin dash since 'it's automatic and you don't need physics to roll quickly anymore.' I seriously can see people complaining about that shit.

But you know what? Spin Dash was a brilliant addition and made Sonic 2 worlds better then the first game.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
homing attack is fine, it just made its debut in some pretty poorly made games and thus is hated by association.  When overused it can feel like sloppy design as well.   

When it comes to sonic, I think simplicity is just always better.  In Unleashed, Generations, and colors to an extent, there are just TOO MANY BUTTON COMMANDS.  We've got stomp, homing attack, drift, slide, light speed dash, and boost!  This kind of thing really hurts the accessibility of the franchise.  People used to be able to just pick up and play sonic 1/2/3/k without much effort.  It's the kind of thing I hope S4 brings back. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:57 pm »
I thought Sonic 4 retained the button simplicity of Sonic 1-3&k. You still play with just one button. Only addition is pressing jump and jump again to homing attack, but its still the same button. I think moving the Super Sonic activation to a second button was a great decision, because it made it easy to avoid using it if you didn't want to. Even in Sonic 3, which had no homing attack, it still was annoying if you accidentally went super if you tapped jump while jumping.

I'm hoping Episode 2's special moves don't complicate things. I wonder how that dual spin attack works.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:48 am »
Attention Japanese members: the latest issue of Famitsu (1211) is said to have a preview of Sonic 4 Episode 2! Anybody think they can find this issue and scan the preview? Kudos and karma points await! Not to mention a coveted mention on the front page. Oooooh!  8)