Author Topic: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread  (Read 48219 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 03:43:45 pm »
To be fair, the 9/10 was from Svend. 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
OK, after I downloaded it. I've been playing for the past two hours.

Let me be clear... If you are going into this game thinking it's going to be a cakewalk like Episode I was, don't. The game is deceptive, it will not hold your hand. Some situations require minimal margin of error, not as cheap as the token massive bottomless pit in some S4:EP1 stages, though. Same goes with Sonic 4:Episode II's bonus stages, the first ones seem deceptively easy... like Sonic 3D: Blast's special bonus stages.

Oil Desert Zone which I haven't finished yet (haven't beaten the boss yet, not because I can't, I just don't know how to fight his second state), is already proving to be a very challenging level.

The bosses, the few I've faced thus far... Man, it feels like I'm fighting the final boss from Sonic & Knuckles every single time. They are being really creative with some of these bouts.

Now the visuals, Sonic 4:Episode I has some visually stimulating stuff, but this one... It's mesmerizing. The Christmas themes in White Park, the glimpses of sunlight and the waterfalls in Sylvania. Even Oil Desert has it's charm.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »
yeah, we gave a lot of love to the bosses in this week's podcast. really inventive stuff.

do you need a hint for the oil desert boss? heres a subtle hint: follow the sign, toe not heel

Offline max_cady

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:57 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it tomorrow.

If I could also say another thing that might knock a few gamers down a peg, there is no Road of Cards-type stage that gives you a ton of 1ups.

Here's another hint of my own, [spoiler]don't know if anyone noticed but on the very first Sylvania Castle Act 1, as soon as you start the level head left, there's an 1up TV there, for no aparent reason. I found this out, like when I started playing.[/spoiler]

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2012, 08:12:27 pm »
Another secret I found: [spoiler]Oil Desert Act 2 - take the first oil stream to the bottom and back track to under the falling oil, theres three ring boxes giving you 30 rings[/spoiler] I love hidden items in Sonic games, but nothing beats item boxes in palm trees in Sonic 1.

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 09:58:01 am »
Have to agree with you guys the bosses are amazing, gives the game an arcade feel. The fact that bosses change how they fight is awesome. The difficulty is perfect as well, the game brings back the 90's concept of memorizing levels.   

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 10:10:31 am »
The low scores and the negativity Sonic Stadium has towards the game is really surprising me. Like, I'll admit there ARE times where I have my fanboy goggles on and I put up with things I deep down don't like (SA1's Big fishing, Heroes, Unleashed, some of Colors) but I was honestly enjoying Episode II. No lying to myself, no moments where I felt like I had to accept something (like Episode 1's physics). I just was enjoying the game and (most of) what it was throwing at me. Whatever didn't stick with me, didn't anger me. And often moments that I disliked, like some platforming sections, got better when I found new easier ways to get through them.

I don't think I've ever been this on the the side of honestly not getting the reviews as I am with Episode II. It's really quite weird. Must be the opposite of how Cube felt when he hated Bayonetta and everybody was giving it a 10/10

I think I've made the decision that with regard to those who don't like the game, I will never get why they dislike it, and really I don't need to be told in an effort to change my opinion. They can have their opinion, but don't do the "game is shit" dance and keep shouting it on forums and social networks. Makes you look like a complainy cunt *cough*Jim Sterling and his buds*cough*.

As for my liking the game, if SEGA says "how'd you like it?" I'll tell them my own thoughts just as I'd assume those in the negative opinion spectrum would. I'd probably mention what I think needs improving, but I'll also note what I liked.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:18:05 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:49 am »
I don't see why people hate the game so much, it's so much fun.

The only thing I don't like about it is the limit they put on gaining speed through momentum, which even Episode 1 didn't have, but I can see why they did that, co-op would be no fun if there wasn't a limit on how much speed you could gain, the current limit on speed makes it so you can run next to your friend in co-op without getting left behind.

They could of still done that for co-op and left the speed unlocked for single player, but its not a big deal, but that's my only issue with the game really.

Co-op is tons of fun.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »
Another cool thing that I'd like to point out: [spoiler]If it looks like you aren't going to finish a special stage, just hit Retry at any given moment. You can actually play the special stage zone as many times as you want, until you actually get the Emerald[/spoiler]

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
Can anyone explain to me how to unlock Episode Metal? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
Can anyone explain to me how to unlock Episode Metal? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Once the stage select/world map is unlocked (that is, after the first act of the game is completed), you have to exit the game and open it again to unlock episode metal.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 06:24:58 pm »
Once the stage select/world map is unlocked (that is, after the first act of the game is completed), you have to exit the game and open it again to unlock episode metal.
Happened to me by accident.
Pleasant surprise though :).

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:08 pm »
lol...that's weird, but okay. I'll give it a shot.

By the way, my review of the game here:

http://nintendosega54.blogspot.com/2012/05/as-long-time-sonic-fan-it-was-exciting.html

Offline stevetheman90

• Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »
Just unlocked Super Sonic, totally worth it.