Author Topic: Have you been banned at a forum?  (Read 12836 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Have you been banned at a forum?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Why do you register when you know the same shit will go down again.

As I said in the first post when I got banned it turned me away from the band as well, don't they care about their members?

Do the same thoughts not go through your mind?

I've reregistered after a ban (it wasn't a forum ban, it was a comments section ban at TSSZ (aka The Super Shitty Zone)). I was banned because I corrected the writer and told him that he didn't cite his source, I gave him the Sonic Stadium forum link where he basically ripped his findings including an image link. 30 minutes later my post was deleted and I was banned. I created a new account on my work computer and have been able to post there ever since, though I rarely post there anyway.

Mods and admins aren't trained police officers, they're just dudes on a forum with power. Most of the times they're level headed people who ban for good reasons (I always think it's wise for mods and admins to discuss a ban before it's carried out, which is what we do here), but other times you'll find people who ban just because they have the power and are legitimate hotheaded assholes. They don't really discuss it with other mods, and often in larger communities like SEGA's forums there is too much going on to stop and talk about every single ban.

Sharky's ban was that sort of situation. He probably would have watched himself the second time around, but it's not as though he was breaking rules when he returned (aside from creating a new account). I personally would have given him a warning the first time, but not a ban. That's just stupid, and in my opinion SEGA's forum mods in general are inept. When Sharky returned he just posted SEGAbits info in a high traffic SEGA community, which is great for this site. Fluffy loves making trouble and exacting useless revenge. Had he not stepped in to get Sharky re-banned I doubt Sharky would have done anything to constitute a banning (again, aside from creating a new account which I think was unjust to begin with).

My ban from TSSZ, on the other hand, was done because TSSZ is a poorly moderated site and their writers rarely admit that they are wrong. When you do try to correct them, they'll remove your comment and ban you. One strike, no warning. So I'd even go so far as to call them corrupt little shits who think it's okay to post news stories without citations and to post personal attacks on friendly community members. I will never ever forgive TSSZ's owner for the stuff he said about TSS's Shadzter.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Have you been banned at a forum?
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »
Mods and admins aren't trained police officers, they're just dudes on a forum with power. Most of the times they're level headed people who ban for good reasons (I always think it's wise for mods and admins to discuss a ban before it's carried out, which is what we do here), but other times you'll find people who ban just because they have the power and are legitimate hotheaded assholes. They don't really discuss it with other mods, and often in larger communities like SEGA's forums there is too much going on to stop and talk about every single ban.

I know the feeling. I was a mod a few years ago, on a portuguese message board, I was way too overprotective, I locked a ton of topics every time the discussion started to go haywire in any way, shape or form.

But the thing that burned me was the one time when a user that had been banned got a hold of my contact and he explained me that it was a case of mistaken identity, so I took his case to the admins, he came back, but the major admin of the website was a little ticked off at me because the user didn't go to him directly and instead making his case through me.

I left the mod position a few months later on and I've been consistently refusing a mod position.