Author Topic: Kill la Kill is the new best anime ever (from the makers of Gurren Lagann)  (Read 27349 times)

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Kill la Kill is the new best anime ever (from the makers of Gurren Lagann)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »
I enjoyed the first episode of Hunter X Hunter, but I haven't watched beyond that. One Piece is the only shonen I need in my life. I ought to watch a few more eps on Crunchyroll this spring break, though.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:45 pm »
I enjoyed the first episode of Hunter X Hunter, but I haven't watched beyond that. One Piece is the only shonen I need in my life. I ought to watch a few more eps on Crunchyroll this spring break, though.
That's the issue, Hunter x Hunter is really great, like right after you get past the first two short arcs, its so well written that trying to catch up to One Piece is just cringe worthy. Yoshihiro Togashi's best manga, hands down.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:44:22 pm by George »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 03:18:01 am »
I'd watch more of Hunter x Hunter if only I didn't feel so overwhelmed at how long it is. I've gotten a bit far in the manga, however, the libraries around me don't have any volumes of it...

Offline George

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 08:30:24 am »
Yeah, 117 episodes so far. Imagine my new mission to catch up to One Piece. So far, episode 115ish. I say watch HxH till the Phantom Troupes and if your not into the story, drop it.

That being said, I will be catching up to Kill La Kill this weekend. Will post feedback about what I think of the rest of series.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 08:49:31 am »
I tried watching One Piece not too long ago. I like the concept of the show a lot, but the pacing is just so slow that I stopped bothering. I much prefer anime like Cowboy Bebop and Kill la Kill that don't take multiple episodes just to show one fight. If anything, Kill la Kill probably has the shortest recap episode of any anime ever (spoilers, obviously):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFn4IrRdauM

Offline George

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:55 am »
Yeah, I agree. Also, the way that the characters ... interact during a fight was not well thought out. Its so bad that they sorta make fun it themselves. "Zoro is OP, lets make him get lost... Luffy is passed out for some reason" or the worse ones is when a character is standing like 10 feet from Luffy fighting, but his conversation continues as nothing happen, even tho it was focused on Luffy's fight for 2 episodes. So they stood there and continued the conversation.

That stuff bothers me.

That video is a great recap lol.

The new HxH does do the whole "multiple episodes" per fight and right now is doing the whole '3 mins is an episode', but outside of like 2 episodes, they have been pretty dense. As long as there is a ton of information, entertaining and isn't some dude screaming for 4-5 episodes, lets do it that obviously is killing time (Luffy randomly helping people during a arc... :/ )
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:12:57 am by George »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:34 am »
Annnnd, somehow the new episode gets delayed on Crunchyroll... What's up, Aniplex and/or CR? Also, Bebop and Kill la Kill are original anime versus One Piece and HxH being adapted from weekly manga series, so of course they're gonna feel pretty different in terms of pacing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:41:55 am by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:00 pm »
That's the issue, Hunter x Hunter is really great, like right after you get past the first two short arcs, its so well written that trying to catch up to One Piece is just cringe worthy. Yoshihiro Togashi's best manga, hands down.

I'd hardly call catching up on One Piece cringe worth. When I did that it was probably the best binge watching experience I've ever had. XD The only thing I really take issue with is that it takes several arcs to get really good. But as far as long running, manga adapted shonen, it's the best I've seen so far, and I only "so far" because I haven't seen much of Hunter X Hunter yet. Given that it's adapting a story that started 20 years ago, I expect the pacing in HxH to be damn good.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:01:18 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline George

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
Outside of a few episodes (it has literally 2 filler episodes that recap an arc) its literally panel by panel of the manga, with great music and voice acting that knocks it out of the park. Also the animation is a lot better. Its cringe worthy when Luffy sits and goes "I AM GOING TO KICK THIS GUYS ASS" then for the next 10 episodes he wonders the desert with no direction...

I like some ideas, but compared to how HxH goes about it... hard to care about Baroque Works saga when its like 5x as long as the Phantom Troupe arc, but the Phantom Troupe is better paced, better characters and in the end you feel like it accomplished more. I say, if you had time for 600 episodes of One Piece, going through 58 episodes of HxH (which is the end of the Phantom Troupe stuff)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »
Guys stop talking about Hunter X Hunter geeze I mean some really big shit just happened in the last Kill la Kill. Like holy shit what the fuck is happening shit. Just. Holy shit.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 08:09:35 pm »
Can't we have a different thread for discussing other major anime such as HxH?

Offline George

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:21 pm »
That is the last of HxH, this is now a Kill la Kill only thread. Sorry for taking it outside its norm. Though honestly, we should have a anime thread for everything, but this was created for Kill La Kill and I can respect it. Surprised theres no Space Dandy thread yet.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
I don't know if I said some bs about KLK at some point, whatever it is I take it back. It seems to do a good job of actually being a TV animation. I love the contrast, and how the characters are alive. The only problem I am having with this is the RIVAL SCHOOLS / VOLCANO HIGH rubbish. However when thinking back to "Cream Lemon" ( Project A-Ko ) or even "Power Rangers" or even Tenchi ( heck even Digi-mon G1-G2 can go here ), or "Cutey Honey" ( Especially Cutey Honey ), it is doing a damn hell of a good job, and look forward to purchasing any comics, and related paraphernalia to the animation.

I mean seriously I love 1990's stuff, but this thing here takes the cake. I am also looking at two other animations, but I forget their names, One has "nice-body-ko" and another one has "a pig with a button that can transform time and space".

However I will be honest, I am actually falling in love with the contrast of the characters, jokes, and plainness atmosphere. I forget this other animation people was talking about, however it was a school boyish guy, with curly but long hair, either way KLK, is looking good.

Personally I am not saying anything about the over exaggerated art style, but I prefer to have detail as with Cutey Honey ( original and new ). Otherwise it is looking good.