Author Topic: SEGA has purchased Relic  (Read 16897 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGA has purchased Relic
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 06:44:48 am »
Eh? SEGA paid the most for one of THQ's Developers?

I thought they had no money to spend?
Well, that's a myth.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
Maybe Sega should do some celebrational promotional stuff with their recent aquisition.
Maybe having a pic of an old WW2 US bomber with Amy Rose on the side of it or having a US marine with Sonic on his helmet. Or try to get an Ultramarine from Warhammer and a soldier that represents COH as DLC for Superstars Racing. Why not?

Anyway the Sega wiki info is long overdue for an update to incoperate the news about Relic and COH being a Sega franchise now, i mean some of the titles mentioned in the post DC/third party era have long been cancelled but the info on it doesn't reflect that.     

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:40 pm »
Let's start some fanwank theories about the games they can make now.

Aliens RTS with Company of Heroes gameplay? Two factions, Aliens and Marines. Then an expansion with Predator Faction!

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »
Maybe Sega should do some celebrational promotional stuff with their recent aquisition.
Maybe having a pic of an old WW2 US bomber with Amy Rose on the side of it or having a US marine with Sonic on his helmet.   

That was from Relic offices today.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

That was from Relic offices today.

LOL Nice...looks like they are happy with the acquisition, and many gamers are happy that Relic are under SEGA due to their good will with PC Devs.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:50 am »
Eh? SEGA paid the most for one of THQ's Developers?

I thought they had no money to spend?

To further add on Pao's point. SEGA Sammy has over $2 billion cash in hand compared with debt of $720 mil, they have more cash in hand than EA, TakeTwo, Ubisoft or Square Enix.

Their restructuring was not due to lack of money, it was done to make the consumer division profitable again.

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:20 am »
Am I the only one who doesn't think this developer fits with Sega's image?

I think I've changed and Sega has changed too much for us to get along anymore.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Am I the only one who doesn't think this developer fits with Sega's image?

I think I've changed and Sega has changed too much for us to get along anymore.
Sega has always changed. 20 years ago this sort of thing also happened, only difference was that most of us knew noting about it.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:45 am »
I don't see any change personally. 1 side there's the iconic stuff, and the other side there's the more business(and lately, thankfully with alot more quality) side. I think SEGA is making a good decision.

Anyway awesome artwork there randroid. It's nice to see even though everything, people still have a soft spot for SEGA's legacy

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:02 am »
I'd love to see Relic or CA take a SEGA franchise and make a RTS game out of it. Phantasy Star would be pretty awesome, or a Shining Force RTS game in the classic style.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »
I don't want gritty Sega games.

Boo

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:11 pm »
But COH is far better than half the stuff Sega puts out. and is it really that gritty? Its a ww2 game.

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 04:20:04 am »
Its a ww2 game.

Thank god someone is finally going to fill this void! For years now I've been wondering why no one has ever made a World War 2 game. This could be huge guys.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 08:04:28 am »
I know you're being sarcastic, but Company of Heroes is a very well respected WWII real time strategy game. Sure the FPS market is full of WWII games, but Company of Heroes is one of the only WWII RTS franchises existing right now, which makes it a very strong IP.

The only other I see is Close Combat, whose last title was in '07 and next one is TBA. The only other one, which has had more releases than Close Combat since '07, is Company of Heroes (releases in '07, '09, and '13).

Take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

So bundle that with Total War and the recently acquired WarHammer and SEGA West has a very strong RTS stable of games.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:06:13 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »
Thank god someone is finally going to fill this void! For years now I've been wondering why no one has ever made a World War 2 game. This could be huge guys.

So you judge games entirely by their setting?

Listen, how many games can you even name recently that have been WW2 related? I'm being quite honest, go ahead, I don't think there have been many. Even if there has been, I haven't been burnt out on them like you seem to be, because the last one I played apart from COH1 which I discovered a few months ago was COD: World at War, way back in 2009. So forgive me for not being crochety and angry about having played two WW2 games over the course of three years...

You also conveniently ignored everything about the game apart from it's setting, COH is an exceedingly good RTS game.

I've noticed a trend in your posts that seem to be very counter-culture, but are you willing to concede that a game like COH might be good?