Poll

Which major Sega Console design is your favourite?

Master System
2 (12.5%)
Genesis/Mega Drive
5 (31.3%)
Saturn
6 (37.5%)
Dreamcast
3 (18.8%)
portable, attachment, obscure or unreleased (talk about it)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Favourite Sega Console Design  (Read 16840 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Favourite Sega Console Design
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:33 pm »
Sega Consoles look awesome. No doubt about that. I'd take a Genesis with three 32Xs stacked over any other console out there ever.

They all look exceptional. As soon as a Sega console hit, love it or hate it, it grabbed attention and usually went completely against the norm.

All the talk recently of unreleased Sega consoles and Sega consoles being personified got me thinking: which major console design was the best?

Here are the rules: Pick your fav. You can only pick one but you can change it at anytime. If you like a particular model, state it.

Me personally, I'm completely torn between them all. I guess since I just got a Model 1, grey, Japanese Saturn, I'd pick that as my current fav. Although I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Put a gun to my head, and I'd pick'em in this order:

(all Model 1)
1. Saturn
2. Dreamcast
3. Master System
4. Genesis

Sound off!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Favourite Sega Console Design
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »
I know I just placed the DC third after the Saturn Model 2 (Japan) and the Genesis Model 1, but I gotta go with Dreamcast. I love its consistency (no major changes between models, aside from internal stuff), really awesome and creative limited edition models. I love how compact it is, and the way they built the modem into the side.

I love the waves along the outside edges, ad those little square bumps that encircle the lid. Also, love the lid and the sizes of the power and open buttons. Really a lovely console.

Similarly, I love the white Saturn Model 2 (Japanese). The white color is great, as is the lines that appear on top. They serve no purpose, but like the Dreamcast's waves they look great.

Also love the Genesis/MD Model 1 for the use of black and red and the big gold 16-BIT.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:52 pm »
I love the Sega Master System.  Slick and sophisticated, its clean lines and crisp colors suggest an elegant lady assassin ridin' dirty on corinthian leather seats to a ballroom in order to eliminate the latest target.  It's got a flow chart printed on it that lets you know how the shit goes down on a day-to-day.  Its color scheme: black and red, the colors of a brotherman on the run.  It says to me, "fun is serious business."

It also has some interesting variations.  Not the model 2, which I don't really like that much (although it does hearken back to the SG-1000 somewhat).  But in Japan, the Reset button is replaced with a built-in Rapid Fire toggle.  There was even a very rare Russian version that has no port for the Sega Card/3D Glasses. 

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
Centrale, that was one of the best responses I've ever read on any board. Kudos to you.

Personally, I'm a Saturn man. It's easily my favorite gaming console; be it the classic North American black or that gorgeous Japanese pearl. Oval buttons? Round buttons? Doesn't matter. The machine screams excellence. Of my consoles, it has the largest library of titles. The system itself is well built and reliable. The Saturn really shows its versatility with the 4MB expansion cartridge, as well as the VCD card. One can argue that the Genesis is better in this one respect, though the Saturn's optional hardware doesn't take up space in a wall socket.

I fucking love the controller. Didn't care for the original North American controller. The D-pad was funky and those shoulder sucked buttons tremendous ass. The Japanese controller's damn near perfect. Only the 3D analogue outshines it for me.

Yes, I'm in love with my Saturn.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »
I really like the weight if the Saturn. You'd think it would be heavy, but its just right. Doesn't feel like a toy, but its not like the Xbox where you break your wrist lifting it.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:48:15 pm »
I really like the weight if the Saturn. You'd think it would be heavy, but its just right. Doesn't feel like a toy, but its not like the Xbox where you break your wrist lifting it.

LMAO! Yeah, the Xbox was a big bitch; wasn't it? My old 80GB PS3 was pretty hefty too. The Saturn's weight is pretty remarkable, considering just how much tech is in that thing. The Dreamcast felt heavier.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 01:36:48 am »
I like the Saturn better, but the design of the Dreamcast is pretty special.  Probably the best console design ever.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
I love the Sega Master System.  Slick and sophisticated, its clean lines and crisp colors suggest an elegant lady assassin ridin' dirty on corinthian leather seats to a ballroom in order to eliminate the latest target.  It's got a flow chart printed on it that lets you know how the shit goes down on a day-to-day.  Its color scheme: black and red, the colors of a brotherman on the run.  It says to me, "fun is serious business."

It also has some interesting variations.  Not the model 2, which I don't really like that much (although it does hearken back to the SG-1000 somewhat).  But in Japan, the Reset button is replaced with a built-in Rapid Fire toggle.  There was even a very rare Russian version that has no port for the Sega Card/3D Glasses. 

This definitely deserves an image post.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
Mega Drive, it looks like a Black , smooth futuristic machine that would look good in any Living Room.

Although I was brought up on the Mega Drive....and the PS3 does remind me of what SEGA would have done if the Mega Drive existed now.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline cooprey

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:15:34 am »
i voted for dreamcast but, i've just noticed my model 1 megadrive attached to my mega cd 2, and although its about 50ft long it does look very cool!!!!

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:29:47 pm »
Going to join the Saturn camp.  Just something about it, even if it is one of the larger consoles Sega's made.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
Sega has always been great with symmetrical designs. In my opinion nothing beats the subtle but stylish MegaDrive II. It's black, with red details. I love the styling. It's light, compact and just plain looks good. Dominant and powerful while reassuring and discrete.

The Saturn is just too bulky, the Dreamcast just too pansy. This is a man's choice of console design and it shows.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:57:36 pm by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
I'm personally in the Saturn camp. It may look boxy, but has a charm to it, like a portable arcade cabinet.

Honorable Mention to the SG-1000. No seriously:

The had an i=Pod style before i-Pods were cool.

/hipster

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »
I'd like to think Will got the colors for the forum theme from the SG-1000 - note the use of blue and orange

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »
The SG-1000 has a great color scheme.
SEG4GES