Author Topic: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)  (Read 53031 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:44:42 am »
Sonic Boom seems pretty bad, show doesn't know if it wants to be about comedy or action.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:32 pm »
Sonic Boom seems pretty bad, show doesn't know if it wants to be about comedy or action.

It's trying hard to be both but comes off as 95% comedy and 5% action

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 02:22:24 pm »
I don't know what are you minded so much for a kids show. For what I see, it works and keeps me interested.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »
It's trying hard to be both but comes off as 95% comedy and 5% action

The comedy or action isn't even that good. And outside of one or two jokes, it wasn't that good on the comedy.

I don't know what are you minded so much for a kids show. For what I see, it works and keeps me interested.

Compared to TMNT, Gravity Falls, The Amazing World of Gumball I just find it pretty poor overall. A recent animation that had a lot of action but good amount of comedy (And 11 minute in length for each episode too.) Was Kick Buttowski and that show is pretty good compared to this.

This feels really phoned in, I'm sure kids will like it but otherwise it's not that great. Probably better than Sonic Underground so there's that at least.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »
The best thing about Sonic Boom is the pretty CGI of the cartoon show.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »
I liked it. :-/

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:46:18 pm »
I feel bad now that my post is the opening post, I look like some sort of ass! I would have articulated my dislike of the first two episodes in a bit more thought than "lol this show is bad."

Another thing I felt was the show really needed to be full length rather than cut up into two segments. It's fine for shows like Regular Show where comedy is very much the centre of the narrative (And it falls apart when it's not, like the recent seasons of Regular Show and Adventure Time.) but Sonic Boom tries to be just as much about action. I think making it 23 minutes instead of 11 minutes would have fit what it was trying to do more than what it has done because right now it's juggling between if it wants to be an action show or a comedy show.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 04:58:40 pm »
I think the show looks alright. The game looks garbage though. I played the 3ds demo, and its just way too average. I mean in that it isnt even a bad game, but thats the only good thing about it. Its so typical and generic.

The wii u game i dunno but it looks pretty bad as well. Honestly for the type of game it is, I havent played anything like it in a long time anyway so a 7> game i wouldnt mind to purchase it. But if its gonna be a broken mess worse than I expect than ill avoid it. It depends really. The only game I got pre ordered now is smash bros U, but im waiting to hear more about the latest assassins creed, dragon age and far cry 4.

Edit: Oh wait, the show already aired?

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »
I think Epidsode 2 was much better than 1 if only for Eggman being so giddy and energetic, saved the under/over actions of the rest of the cast.

Episode 1 felt way too forced.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »
Sorry Aki. I wasn't thinking. I didn't mean to make you feel/look like an ass. Was just trying to move the Boom related posts out of your current thoughts thread. I could tell the discussion was going to get heated and didn't want it taking over the thread.

Feel free to edit your OP post and put whatever you want. =)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 07:51:46 pm »
I just watched the episodes. Horrible start in the first episode. Indeed some of the jokes feel like very amateur humor if thats the right way to call it. But once the first scene was over I thought it was really good. I mean like genuinly thought it was funny and laughed out loud continuing from there. I think the show is heading in the right direction and has an excellend balance between humor and action. Safe for the lack of knuckles doing anything of use so far. But compared to sonic x this is a huuuuge step forward. Reminds me of sonic ova and aosth.

In short, the story is great and the humor is great with some bad try too hard humor once in a while, but i feel like the team behind it can improve and they will. Very surprised by this. I think kids will love this

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »
Is there a place online to watch this? I don't have access to cable TV and I sure as hell wouldn't get up at 6am to watch this anyways =)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 12:24:32 am »
I vote we dont talk about the games and pretend they dont exist.

I watched episode 1 and 2 of the show just now and I genuinely thought it was very funny as far as kids cartoons go. Had a couple of genuine laughs in both episodes. 2 was much better. A couple of jokes fell flat but I could imagine kids finding them funny and kids are the target audience. Biggest laugh from me was when Robotnik said his robots dont get tired because they don't have souls... Just the right level of dark humour.

I've been saying Sonic should be a comedy show for years now, glad it finally is. Still don't like Knuckles' redesign...
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 05:33:30 am »
Is there a place online to watch this? I don't have access to cable TV and I sure as hell wouldn't get up at 6am to watch this anyways =)

Check YouTube.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:24 am »
As far as kid shows go, these are on par with the standard 11-minute format episodes on Cartoon Network. The CG is OK-ish, nothing too fancy, but gets the job done.

First episode was kinda meh, second episode was pretty good. Making this more of a comedy show allows much more creative freedom that a straight-up action show cannot provide.

I've seen some Twitter ramblings comparing this AOSTH and I can certainly see the similarities, though I feel like this one is far more consistent.