Author Topic: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?  (Read 57207 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:44 am »
Sonic Stadium discovered something very interesting today. A trademark for a game called Sonic Runners. Seeing how SEGA Networks is doing all of this it's safe to assume that it's a new game for iOS and Android.

Maybe a sequel do Sonic Dash?

Offline Trippled

Re: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:44:33 am »
Nah, it's a Sonic Dash sequel
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:15:01 am by Trippled »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:07 am »
It's not going to be a sequel to Sonic Dash - my guess is a 2D title in the same vein as Dash

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
Temple Run, but with Sonic?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:11 am »
Temple Run, but with Sonic?

That's Sonic Dash, I think this will have more in common with Rayman Jungle and Fiesta run

Offline baba_944

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:08:47 pm »
"Sonic R" remake, I'm calling it now.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:41:09 am »
SONIC RUNNERS implies more than one character...

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:39:59 am »

Exactly. This could be the first mobile game 100% developed by Sonic Team since that Sega Networks now has more than a half of the Arcade staff and many producers/developers from the console side helping/doing games.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:38 pm »

Make me remember that years ago there is a mobile game (java) with had Sonic race and run against his friends.. The title is ...

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:50:55 pm »
So the freemium thing is gonna apply to the Wisps or life?

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:08:09 pm »
It's proving extremely difficult for me to be positive about this project.  The auto-running tap based gameplay sounds like everything I don't want.  The focus on the heritage/developer combined with this weeks announcement is making me nervous that this is what ST's been working on since Gens. 

Also freenium.  Good god is freenium never a good idea. 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:11 pm »
"An interview between Iizuka and Famitsu lists a end of February release for the game in Japan. From what we can understand from the interview, characters will run forward on their own and Eggman will make appearances during stages which there appears to be 50 of at first (if we are reading the translation correctly). Tails and Knuckles are also playable, but Sonic is the only character initially available. Famitsu also went hands-on with the game, mentioning a cutscene featuring Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. Jumping appears to vary based on where you tap on the screen, possibly indicating that you tap on enemies to homing attack. The Eggman boss battle appears to have Sonic throwing or knocking back Eggman’s projectiles to defeat him."
http://segabits.com/blog/2015/02/02/sega-releases-the-first-sonic-runners-teaser-trailer/

How 'free-to-play' can work for this title and I would be OK with. Base game has all the levels that span Sonic's history, multiple paths and ways to play. Leaderboards are world wide and new content would be added after awhile. Instead of just going around and saying "Christmas Sonic" and crap like that, I think they should really look into the history of the franchise and pull some really obscure stuff to add on to the premium level.

1. Don't force people to pay to play. Sorry, not good.
2. Skins (like make Sonic look like Sonic R Saturn Sonic), items and such are paid to get.
3. Allow players to win premium items without paying: Like digital in game coins after you win races goes to a slot machine where you can win premium items. More you play, the more chances.
4. Try to get sponsored events online and people that participate get the content for free.
5. Buying Sonic toys, console games and such all have unique codes to unlock items that deal with that game. This could be cool for Sonic Archie readers, lots of cross promotion can be done.

So what will happen? Probably none of the above.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:31:13 pm by George »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:04:56 am »
So it's a free Sonic game and it's similar to Rayman Jungle Dash or whatever it was called... I'm okay with this.

I really hope it's a quality title and doesn't feel cheap. The Rayman game was really good. Nice level art, good character animations and a good variety of things to do that didnt make it feel like endless running on flat dull paths. If Sonic Runner can be as good it'll be a great game.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 07:35:31 am »
The way its being introduced with the transitions from classics to whats gonna be a mobile game made by sonicteam isnt something that excites me. Oh well, maybe japan needs it

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:50 am »
I kind of admire the optimism here that this game will be anything but trash.