Author Topic: Sword of Vermilion  (Read 20039 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Sword of Vermilion
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:10 am »
What do you guys think, worth playing?

It looks very shallow, it came out after PS2 so you think it should be better, but so far I am not excited. The characters don't have their pictures. It is all text.

[youtube:zhnu354i]Z6_iOXRdpyc[/youtube:zhnu354i]

The uploader has skipped random battles, which look very excessive and boring.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Wilhelm

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://wilhelmexp.519sucks.ca
Re: Sword of Vermilion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »
I played this, it was alright i Used an EMULATOR and sometimes had to use X2 speed to get through certain parts.
It's slow, I found the music slightly annoying at times...

All in all, I was satified it's one of the few good RPGS for the Genesis.
Didn't know it came out after the ps2..didn't know they were still making games for the GEnesis than lmao.
[spoiler][size=85]Add me to Friends[/size]![/url][/spoiler]

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:03:17 am »
When we use the acronym PS in this forum, we are usually talking about PHANTASY STAR, just like when we say WOW it is for WOW Entertainment andnot World of Warcraft.

I think this is typical of Yu Suzuki, all his emphasis was on technical aspects. This is no where near as good as PS2, 4, or even 3.

As much as I like Yu Suzuki I had to admit his games lack the fun aspect of other games, for example Virtua Fighter may have had the best technology but Tekken has always been more fun.

This game aside from lacking character icons and potraits lack depth, and have that singular Arcade feel of doing the same thing over and over with ranging difficulty.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
AM2 was put under pressure to make an RPG around the time Phantasy Star II was being made, so they did it, but you can tell nowhere as much heart was put into it as much as their other products.

It is unique, and I mean that. There is no other RPG out there truly like it, the bosses are even done in an interesting 2D style that has to be seen to be believed.

It was marketed as having over a hundred hours of content though, which is not true.

I personally do not like the game, but the soundtrack is really fantastic.

[youtube:noktrxn6]XRRJZ8eXj7g[/youtube:noktrxn6]

Quote from: "cube_b3"
As much as I like Yu Suzuki I had to admit his games lack the fun aspect of other games, for example Virtua Fighter may have had the best technology but Tekken has always been more fun.

You are so funny Cube.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:35:01 am »
SoV is the only RPG I own for the Genesis (don't kill me! I wasn't into RPGs as a kid and since then I've gotten my Phantasy Star and Shining Force experience via handheld emulators and compilation discs!).

It's a real cool package, mine even came with the full color guide book and I believe there is a map inside. Early Genesis box art rules! The game itself is good. Not as great as Phantasy Star II, though I can't fault one internal dev team for not besting another internal dev team. Music is great, the 3D segments are cool and the title screen is wicked awesome.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:39:43 am »
I can't stand it... I played it AFTER games like Phantasy Star 2 & 4 Shining Force 1 & 2 and Beyond Oasis which were all amazing games.

It just felt generic and dull.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:55:00 am »
Quote from: "cube_b3"

I guess I should expect this from the person who thinks Sonic 06 is good.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:25 am »
Cube continues to show his general tastes are mostly the polar opposite of the SEGAbits old guard, news at 12.

Still Tekken more fun, bwhahahahaha! Comedy gold!

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:57:03 am »
I haven't played Sword of Vermillion since it came out.  I hated the thing where you get poisoned and every step you take is one point of damage until you get cured.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:56 am »
Played it a bit on an emulator, but never got back to it, whereas I beat Shining Force I and started II. It was enjoyable though, at least for me.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:17 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I can't stand it... I played it AFTER games like Phantasy Star 2 & 4 Shining Force 1 & 2 and Beyond Oasis which were all amazing games.

It just felt generic and dull.

To me Sword of Vermillion was probably a game best played at it's time of release. At the time there weren't too many Genesis RPGs released, aside from Phantasy Star II, so I'm sure SoV was great fun in '91. Phantasy Star III didn't hit the USA until 3 months later, so I'm sure it was a good game to play inbetween the releases of PSII and PSIII.

Nowadays though, with all the great retro Lunar, Phantasy Star and Shining Force games to play, SoV doesn't hold up. However I don't think it's the game's fault.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »
Those who played the game back in the day aren't fond of it either.

I give you Sega-16's head honcho's review:
http://sega-16.com/review_page.php?id=8 ... 0Vermilion

Nice Graphics, Awesome Sound, repetitive gameplay and the lack of character icons and story boards just kills the entire experience, I wanted to play it but now I see no point.

To date, Shenmue is the only Yu Suzuki game that enters my top 10 games of all time.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »
To date, Shenmue is the only Yu Suzuki game that enters my top 10 games of all time.
Are there any other game directors that have multiple games in your top 10?

In all honestly Yu Suzuki probably only has one game in my top ten too, but I still love most of the series he has made.

Not only that Shenmue is the TOP of my top ten, by a country mile.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:06:19 am »
Shenmue 2 would also be in my top 10 of all time ;)

I'd also stick Virtua Fighter 5 in there as it is my favorite 2-player fighting game. Suzuki wasn't involved in the way he was with VF4 (correct me if I'm wrong) but he did lay the groundwork for the series and VF5 wouldn't exist without him. So yeah, Yu gets 3 games on my top ten of all time list.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:31:32 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Are there any other game directors that have multiple games in your top 10?

In all honestly Yu Suzuki probably only has one game in my top ten too, but I still love most of the series he has made.

Not only that Shenmue is the TOP of my top ten, by a country mile.

Honestly I've never really made a list of top 10 but if I would Rieko Kodama & Noriyoshi Oba have to have multiple titles on it.

Rieko Kodama: Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium, Skies of Arcadia.

Noriyoshi Oba: Streets of Rage trilogy (I shove them all in 1 slot, if I had to pick 1 i'd go with 3), Akujiki (Shinobi/Nightshade again shoving more than 1 game).

I don't know if Shenmue would be #1. I love the game and everything but I don't feel psychologically invested in all the characters.