Author Topic: Gunvalkyrie - an underappreciated SEGA classic  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Gunvalkyrie - an underappreciated SEGA classic
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:50:21 pm »

Was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on Smilebit's Gunvalkyrie?

I just posted a retrospective on it and have started playing it again. It's a really great game with unique controls and a story that feels like a strange mix of The House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon with a steampunk aesthetic. Shame the game never saw BC on the Xbox 360 or a PC port, I feel a lot of people have never played the game because it is original Xbox only.

Read my full retrospective here: http://segabits.com/blog/2015/04/28/a-look-back-at-smilebits-gunvalkyrie-an-underappreciated-sega-classic/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:04:14 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Gunvalkyrie - an underappreciated SEGA classic
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:23 pm »
I've always meant to get around to it. I remember hearing its control scheme is difficult to grasp. I did see it for pretty cheap a while back, but the condition of the box wasn't that great, so I'm on the lookout for one that's fairly nice. I'm not a stickler for "near mint" but when possible I appreciate nice condition.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »
Pulled out the old Xbox after the Panzer Dragoon article. I've been replaying all the old xbox sega games. Sega had a pretty solid library of exclusives on the old X and they all hold up pretty well if you've got a component cable.

Just wish most of them had custom controls. Gunvalkyrie being the most twitchy of these games could definitely have made use of it. If it just had the ability to invert the right-stick it would be perfect. Regardless, definitely must play Sega, for that generation. Love that second Valley stage. Nice and open. Great soundtrack too. Such a mellow experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKsBPpOVp2I

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:50:41 pm »
Man I have ALWAYS wanted to try this.  I remember the reviews in EGM/Gamespot/gamepro being absolutely atrocious back when it came out but your glowing article has ignited my curiosity again. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »
That's interesting to hear about EGM/Gamespot/gamepro, because IGN gave it a 9.0 and several Xbox websites gave it a lot of praise at the time. I mean, the thing is [as seen in our live stream from earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkCKNvL4CMQ] the game's stages can be very long. Sometimes you may be playing a single stage for up to 30 mins. However, there are not that many stages, so its one of those games where you will be playing it for long stretches but you won't be playing it for long given the amount of stages. Also, the way the game is set up is quite basic, something one wouldn't expect from a team like Smilebit. But I think these long stages and simplistic progression work in the games favor as the controls are quite unique and you want the player to spend a lot of time in the game to get a handle of the controls and to utilize them.

I also kind of felt like I was playing PSO, with the maps and multiple enemies and simple objectives, but obviously the controls are far better.

Gunvalkyrie is one of those games that has its share of problems, but its just so damn unique and fun to run around in that I can't knock it.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:22:57 am »
Loved the game and a true SEGA game with some ace graphics music some amazing boss battles  , controls would have been far better with just double tapping the stick in the direction would wanted to boost to . This game was crying out for a sequel to build on what had already been done and fixing some of the game issues.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:47:13 am »
I've played it a lot at the time. The thing I remember is that missions could take very long and I think the game was very challenging

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
I snagged a copy while back but I really need a new XBOX controller to play this better.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 07:32:24 pm »
Xbox backwards compatibility update brings new SEGA games and Sonic FPS boost

Of interest to SEGA fans, titles from the Xbox and Xbox 360 days are making the leap to the Xbox One and Series consoles.
These games include: Binary Domain (Xbox 360), Gunvalkyrie (Xbox), Otogi: Myth of Demons (Xbox) and Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (Xbox).

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/11/15/xbox-backwards-compatibility-update-brings-new-sega-games-and-sonic-fps-boost/

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 07:44:24 pm »
Xbox accessibility features fixes one of Gunvalkyrie’s biggest issues

The Burning Rangers-esque jetpack gameplay is cool, but Smilebit made the odd decision of mapping the boost to the left thumbstick click (L3).
Suffice to say, it was a real pain for many to play through the game with all the clicking and holding while also moving in various directions.
Thankfully, however, with the debut of the game to Xbox One and Series consoles this is no longer an issue!

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/11/16/xbox-accessibility-features-fixes-one-of-gunvalkyries-biggest-issues/