Author Topic: Is anyone reading/watching Attack on Titan? Opinions?  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Is anyone reading/watching Attack on Titan? Opinions?
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:25:44 am »
Got into it via work colleague.

I love my Dystopians, and this seems like a great take on the genre.

Although "One City covered by walls" has been done before (Judge Dredd is the one most know about, except it's just a Mega City), the hopelessness of the people make it a dark sort of adventure where only a handful are willing to put their life on the line to kill these Titans.

Even better when you realise one particular character has a unique trait to him.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:40:39 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Is anyone reading/watching Attack on Titan?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:33:50 am »
Finished the show last year, would be reading more of the manga if my library had more volumes beyond 5. I like it quite all right despite the problems it has.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »
I wish the show was a little faster paced, although I partially blame myself for basically binging on the show in two days, having to witness the characters describe the situation for like, 10 minutes. Then you get to fighting the titans, suddenly it feels...amazing.

I'll try and stick with it, since I like the setting and the giant titans that basically run around like brain dead idiots. Why I find that highly amusing, I'm not sure.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:49 am »
I don't know why exactly Bryce Papenbrook being announced as Eren's English voice made me more interested in watching the dub even though I was warming up to him hearing him in the Blue Exorcist and Pokemon Origins dubs.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:03:25 pm »
Gonna watch it on Toonami.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:05:16 pm »
Well, it looks like the show was divided into two teams. The animation team, and the CGI team. Which is the reason, the characters have a good look. Otherwise I wish it was not CGI, and real animation instead. Becuase it just looks like animation moving around CGI backdrops.

Yeah I saw it, or I was forced to watch it. I love the faces, and the eyes. my favorite character is the one that eats, food all the time, and day dreams about cattle. They can't kill her off. The ending of course was that one tomboy girl turning out to be the traitor. I really like how the corps leader is a midget, brings back memories of "PSO online GCN" where all the midget were the best fighters.

The scientist character, is ripping off "Frankenstine" from "Day of the dead", obviously. All of her lines are the same exact lines. It is obvious the lesser giants are really animals, like dogs, wolves, cats, etc. That is why they have smiley faces.

That first giant was obviously suppose to be "David Bowie". It is evidence this is some anti-western stuff going on here, while the kingdom outside are Asian people. But we only get some of that idea, when we see the flash back. The whole thing with the crooks, who killed her parents, and tried to have intercourse with her, was bshite. I mean come on, now. Lets just throw in the obvious. But then again they were going to kill her as well. Yeah the mother getting killed was stupid, enough the giants, do not have a proper internal organ.

Insert Mecha's. Some boring warfare talk, everybody on an American money, ( note the leader of the corps is a young godly, George Washington ). Some fat people, bullcrap military talk, and rip-off of every character from your childhood, or movie you have not seen.

I mean it is boring to be honest, because you kinda already know what is going to happen, even when it does not happen. I can't really re-watch, the whole thing, just for the one that talks about cattle all day, and looks like meat herself.............yeah yeah she is going to survive.

Frankenstine is going go, of course at some point. Unless she has some kind of super-plot-hole-excuse. The rich kid, might go, but not without saving the main character. Then we discover the super truth about who his father is really.

Speaking of giants, using the anatomical figures as giants was a great idea. But I don't get the armor giant, ( the one that looks like a robot, or metal ). The whole thing is like another Evangleon, to me. But in ancient time world.

Did anybody notice the main theme, of this is reflecting the theme of "Transformers" last series, before the fillers????

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »
Hey, don't spoil anything for anyone who's going in blind. BTW, here's the Toonami promo for anyone who's watching it there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXgz3y8Z79E

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:03:40 am »
my favorite character is the one that eats, food all the time, and day dreams about cattle. They can't kill her off.

I like Sasha too, but dude....spoilers....
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:19 pm »
I wish the show was a little faster paced, although I partially blame myself for basically binging on the show in two days, having to witness the characters describe the situation for like, 10 minutes. Then you get to fighting the titans, suddenly it feels...amazing.

I'll try and stick with it, since I like the setting and the giant titans that basically run around like brain dead idiots. Why I find that highly amusing, I'm not sure.
The pacing was terrible while I was watching the show while it was airing, really. :V

AoT does have it's moments and it has a great concept, but overall I'd say that the execution is terrible. The pacing really goes to shit a quarter into the series and I can't find myself caring about any of the characters. There are still good action scenes at times, but most of the time it's just the characters describing what's currently happening. Sometimes the same situation just gets described multiple times in a row by different characters. I find it amazing that this anime is as popular as it is cause it's just incredibly bad most of the time.