Author Topic: To be this good takes SEGA:Megadrive voted best retro console  (Read 10346 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: To be this good takes SEGA:Megadrive voted best retro console
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:18 pm »
Just for curiosity, check out this video of an interview about the release of the Genesis, very good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExsRds7RlE&list=FLRCdgfjTGpTPnUWQogJvTrA&index=66&feature=plpp_video

I'm pretty sure I saw that episode of the Computer Chronicles when it came out!  I used to watch it every night, hoping for some video game news.  They almost never had any game news on there, except maybe when the CES rolled around (the trade show that was the main U.S. gaming announcement event prior to the creation of E3).

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:17 pm »
I've often reflected on this very point.  From the 8-bit era onward, there has been no other company that had to master (pardon the pun) every gaming genre like Sega had to, out of sheer grit and determination to provide a good library for the Master System.  While all your Konamis and Capcoms and Tecmos could tinker around with their few franchises for decades, Sega had branch out to develop dozens of franchises.  I'd argue they're the only company that possibly could have succeeded, even to the modest degree that they did, in the 8-bit battle with Nintendo's illegal practices, because only Sega had the multi-genre arcade pedigree and drive for technological excellence.

Prior to the 8-bit era, I think you could argue there were some similar parallels with Atari and Intellivision developing multiple genres, but this was an era in which the very concept of a third-party developer for gaming consoles didn't exist until the emergence of Activision.

Good write-up ROJM, but I think you meant to say "adept at" rather than "inept in."

Regarding Sega's transition from 8-bit to 16-bit, I think it can all be summed by stating... the beast was well and truly unleashed.  And lo, did it howl.  Sega's programmers and artists had done a solid job with the Master System and the time pressures they must have faced to build up a library of games.  When the MegaDrive came along, they exploded with creativity and artistry that was mindblowing for gamers like myself who were there at the time.

It was more than that while the artisty and creativity was excellent from SOJ it wasn't just them that was on the ball at that period. Their second parties also came up with some excellent software and not just from the obvious guys like Climax,Treasure and Camelot but Nex Entertainment's RANGER X and Game freak's hidden gem PULSEMAN was also something to write about.
The other part was the talent on show with the programming teams within SEGA and the third parties. To my memory this is when the technical side of things started to become apparent to the gamer which started with Sonic of course but one of the bigger achievements and not often applauded these days were the jobs they did with the Capcom ports Sega did. The best one being Street fighter 2 champion edition which creamed the super NES versions to dust(remember Capcom didn't get the Sega license until after so their first genesis game was Super SF although they did publish SFCE in the west) also most people at that time didn't think the genesis could handle SF 2. When you add what Treasure did with GUNSTAR HEROES and DYNAMITE HEADY and the achievements in sound and look with Technosoft's Thunderforce 3 and 4 games the magazines at that time started to look more into the developers/programmers behind the games in general especially after treasure's titles because the genesis wasn't meant to do sprite rotation.

But if any of the sega systems and their fans had one thing in common they were mostly the underdog, It was with genesis(megadrive in my home country but i had both models) was the only time when that feeling of supporting the underdog got overturned and sega was top dog, boy it was great to walk tall back then as a sega fan to open your door and go into town and see something sega all over the highstreet,in the newsagent and even on the television and that people from yor kid sister to your gandad were into them more than anyone else. Great days.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 05:55:32 am »
Kudos given to Crackdude & SEGA_Portuguese!

Good takes on the consoles. Think I'll have a go:

SG-1000 - People tend to forget this one, though it makes sense that they would given the limited release. A good console for fans of Atari and Intellivision games, as well as fans of the Master System. SG-1000 is great for historical reasons, it's SEGA's first home console, there are classic games that got their home console start here (Monaco GP, Flicky, Hang-On). So mainly: for fans of SEGA history, for Master System fans

Master System - A small library compared to later consoles, but it has a number of great games. Like the SG-1000 its main crowd are SEGA history fans and 8-bit fans. Good console for platformer and early arcade fans.

Genesis/Mega Drive - already covered it ;)

Saturn - As mentioned, an AM2 fan's dream. Also home to a number of original IPs that either never received sequels or had sequels but they were never as good as the Saturn originals. Panzer Dragoon Orta being an exception. A great console for fans of rarities and hidden gems. Also a 3D fighting fans dream. I would say a must have for RPG fans, but all the Saturn RPGs are super expensive. Unlike past consoles there are no real gimmick accessories or add-ons. Twin Sticks are as crazy as it goes, and add-ons would probably just include an Action Replay cart for imports and memory.

Dreamcast - Already mentioned this in a past post, but I'd second Crackdude's comment: "Dreamcast a great console to own on a budget and try out dozens of experiences that they don't make anymore."

Overall, I'd rank them (in order of must have, must play)
1-Genesis (32X and SEGA CD included)
2-Dreamcast
3-Saturn
4-Master System/Game Gear
5-SG-1000

Nice post .

I can't really comment on the SG 1000 I never owned it and never really wanted it .

Here's my take my list of SEGA consoles in order of preference

1) SEGA Saturn - This was when all the  Team Andromeda, AM#2 and AM#3, Treasure, GameArts, Sonic Team, RAIZING, Overworks were simply on fire and producing the best game in their history on the consoles .The system had it all and if you liked a Arcade racer, Gun Games 2D and 3D shooters, Track & Field games , RPG's, FPS  3D and 2D Vs fighters and Mech games it really didn't any better than the Saturn

Awesome system

2) Mega CD - Ok its an add-on but the magic of the Lunar's (and the 1st game was magical) , the joy of playing the best 16 bit racer(Batman Returns) and the likes of Wing Commander, Rise of the Dragon Sensible Soccer, Dracula Unleashed, Popful Mail, Jurassic Park, Switch,  Snatcher, Slipheed ECT just made it my 2nd fav system I've ever owned - Game Arts and a person called John O'Brien singled handily made the system worth owning

3) Master System - Such an over looked gem of a console and the console that got me into SEGA in the 1st place . So may great Arcade ports and a great collection of games made my love the system and have so many happy memories of playing games like Wonder Boy till 3 Am on Christmas (well boxing day) Loved the light Phaser and 3D games too.

4) Dreamcast - Lovely console and so many great games , just a shame SEGA Europe were terrible the Joypad was a joke and Sega Rally II should have been so much better . That said PSO online for the 1st time was the best gaming experience in my life I think, it was so special and no game has ever come close to that day you went on-line with PSO and joined players from around the world and where in the early days everyone was playing for the right reasons and looking after one and other

Oh and REZ Area 5 is just the best ever . FEAR really is the mind killer

5) Mega Drive . Sorry I liked my Snes more , but I did love the Mega Drive when it came to sport games and shooters and the simple awesome Strider. Like the PS it had a ton of games in almost ever genre it was getting silly

Never liked the Game Gear and hated the 32X
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »
I like the 32X. Sure, it isn't my favorite piece of Sega hardware (the Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn share that top spot), but it had some great titles. I love Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000, Shadow Squadron, T-Mek and Virtua Fighter.... Yeah, for whatever reason, I still prefer the 32X port to the Saturn's. I'll admit, with the Saturn well on it's way to store shelves, Sega should not have released the 32X. It just confused retailers and consumers alike, and the sad fact Sega couldn't - or wouldn't - make it run of the Genesis power source was a bad move.... "Just stick it in your Genesis!" Yeah, after you stick those two metal prongs in the slot and hook up the two additional cables. Ugh!

Still, I enjoy it for whatever reason. I don't know why, really.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q