Author Topic: Crazy Tails' Shinobi 3DS impressions. (See post 13)  (Read 8090 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Crazy Tails' Shinobi 3DS impressions. (See post 13)
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:32 pm »
Notice: Title change to Shinobi 3ds impressions thread if possible. See latest posts

So yeah what the title says.

I just got a 3ds and I decided to pick it up with a game that was no doubt a good game and keep me satisfied for a period of time. That game was super mario land 3d.

The next game i wanna get however is shinobi 3ds. While I read the preview of it allready, I think a 1 man opinion isn't enough for me to decide wether I should get it or not. Therefore I sincerely wanna ask more of you guys to give me your objective opinion about the game.

Well basically this, share your honest opinion about shinobi 3ds.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:30:01 am by Sharky »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: I just got a 3ds and planning to get shinobi 3ds... but
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:13 am »
Looks fun, if you like Shinobi get it.

You shouldn't rely so much about other people's opinion though.. Each person gets different experiences with each game.

EDIT: Also, Mario? whatthefrak
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
Well I wanted a game that guarenteed was gonna be fun with the 3ds. Super mario 3d land's supposed to have alot of content. Tbh I ordered it and have not received it yet lol... so I can't say anything about it yet

Anyway yeah I do would like some reliable opinions about the game. That's just the way I personally roll, cuz I don't wanna be dissapointed with my money spent. You could say that i'm a "cautious" spender... but that's cuz I only have so much to spend
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:42:46 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »
Mario on the 3DS is great, I've played it. But it's Mario so, eeewwww

Dude, games can be good or bad depending on your perspective. If you're overly cautious, it's harder to enjoy a game. The more relaxed you are the better you'll feel playing it.

Sometime ago I spent the equivalent of 45 dollars on GigaWing for the Dreamcast. Was it overly expensive? Hell yes! Did I give a fuck? No! Because I didn't even look at reviews before buying it. I just thought "dude, I'm going to appreciate whatever this game has to offer". And I did! And I have loads of fun with it.
Later I discovered critics gave it like 4/10s. I would have NEVER bought it if I saw that now would I?

If you care so much about other opinions, look for the positive ones. Open up that metacritic and click the highest scored one (as it will be the most praising one). Read what is the best that game has to offer and get it, cause it's FUCKING SHINOBI DUDE
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:18:45 pm »
I don't think that's nescesarely a bad thing. Yeah back in the "good ol days" it was simply judging from cover boxes etc and I have some great memories from what I found out to be mediocre games from the general opinion. I think maximum carnage on the mega-drive wasn't generally liked at all but we all enjoyed that. I also enjoyed the shit out of "spawn" on the dreamcast, and that game got 4's too. I still don't get that, so you are right when it comes to some games.

But that isn't always the case though lol. Sometimes "game-critics" are just simply wrong is all, which is why I don't get my opinion from game critics so often anymore. I mean yeah alot of people do so i'm always glad when a game scores well, since it boosts sales to a degree, but generally I just ask around people who's opinions I respect, because I don't wanna feel bad when I end up underwhelmed by a game.

Let's be fair lol. Gigawing was probably not even that bad of a game despite it got 4's(dont know the game myself so i can't tell). But have you ever bought a game that you, yourself really regretted even spending a penny on? I mean there must be some remorse there lol. I have experienced that a view times, and to be honest i'd feel bad. Money doesn't grow out of a tree. It's not that i'm greedy or anything but i'm not rich either at the moment. So buying a bad product, whatever it is, always get's me a bit upset. Especially when it's untradable  :-\

Yeah this is shinobi though lol, but it's still made by gryptonite. I like certain elements of the originals that are likely not going to be in the 3ds game. I hope that SEGA flavor isn't missing. Things like the great artstyle and music was for me great reasons why I loved the originals.

Shinobi has actually gotten really good scores and if I had to go by those I would have instant bought it allready.... well to be honest i've ordered it allready since it only costed 20 euro's. :P I just wondered what the opinion here was but during that time i've allready made up my mind anyway -_-. Would still be glad to read opinions here about it. I heard it's hard, so that is a good thing.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:21:18 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:13 pm »
Yes, I have regret some games.. But I usually don't spend more than 30 euros for a game, so it's no huge problem. But the games I regret were actually critically acclaimed, so I don't know how that works lol

I have yet to play Shinobi on teh 3DS.
But I have seen some gameplay and find the game awesome. Usually I play the classics for my Shinobi fix, but this one looks very particular. It's only a question of whether the gameplay feels good and sharp or not.

What's your opinion on the 3DS so far? Is it nice?
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:18 am »
I gotta say that I am very surprised with the 3DS. I expected it to be "okay" but I think it's better than alot of people think. I initially bought it for a view games I was looking forward to (mainly resident evil revelations, but i'll get back to that in a minute). The interface and menu's are excellent. It's got that nintendo wii flavor but not so dull and very playable and interactive. So is The online service which i'd say (well till the vita comes out) the best on any handheld platform at the moment.

You have friend lists this time which makes it nescesary to add people with friend codes only once, and then they'll just be regularly displayed as they have chosen to. You'll see them online and see what they play. You also get the option to join them in their games if you own the same game. This is all similar to steam so I was quite surprised nintendo was capable of getting there.

The E shop ala appstore is pretty great as well. Aside from the expensive vintage/retro offers, the free stuff (zelda four swords for example) and demos makes the 3ds even without games a fun handheld. There's also alot of extra channels which are pretty fun. There's a channel where u can like make a picture of yourself with the front camera, and it changes ure face into flying enemies that fly around which you gotta aim and shoot by moving your 3ds around with the back camera viewing your house. This made me lol for the first time because it's pretty weird to see evil faces of yourself flying around in your own house. The menu is full of silly things like that. It's something you'll probably only touch a view times but it gives a great impression nonetheless.

Now on to the quality of the visuals and the 3D feature. After downloading and playing the demo of resident evil revelations I gotta say that it looks rather fucking amazing. Forget about rushed games like sonic generations. The 3ds can display visuals that probably look on par or better than the Wii. The 3D feature for some reason makes the visuals look better.

The 3D effect is a love or hate thing, but personally I really think it adds alot to the experience, especially in RE:revelations with it's horror vibe. It takes getting used to, and after keeping it on for a long time it does cause headaches, but that is when it's handy to have a slider to switch it off for like a half an hour.

Overall i'd say the 3DS is underestimated imo. To be honest imo there's no need for HD graphics on a handheld like the PS vita is going for. I think nintendo did well to choose for such limits because limits always determine the style of games on what the consumer will consider worth buying in the sense of wether something is pushing or not. For example on the vita it would have to look like uncharted to be worth buying full price, while on the 3ds you'd be happy with something similar to the DC/PS2/NGC. Less realistic and more fantasyish, which i am personally a big fan of. The Wii suffers from being SD and looking pixelated on HD tv's. The 3DS with it's small screens makes everything look smooth.

I think this is where my only gripe is. The screens could have been a little bigger but other than that i'd say if there's any game you don't wanna miss on the platform, go for it. Sales are doing better and better. Piracy hasn't hit the 3DS yet and I really hope this won't happen soon :( because at the moment there are alot of developers encouraged to design games for it. Kingdom hearts 3DS and Metal gear solid snake eater(which I never played on ps2) are going to be must buys to me.

There's really no bias involved in me saying all this. I embraced all the pre SEGA rivals just like any other hardcore SEGA fan had to do after SEGA went out of the console market. Shadiwulf would probably not be able to make sense of all this lol.

Wow... well there ya go. This became quite a wall of text
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:10:45 am by CrazyTails »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07:19 am »
For the Sega-rivals aspect, I get hardware if I think it's good for me. I had not looked into Nintendo consoles before the Dreamcast because I was a Sega/Playstation dude (like most people here).
But looking back it seems that for every Nintendo generation that appeals to me, the next one doesn't. I like the Super Nintendo(though it gets hammered by the MegaDrive, of course), love the Gamecube and am excited with the WiiU; but I hate with passion the NES, N64 and Wii. They are stupidly weak compared with competitors, and have overrated games. But enough about my gripe with Nintendo hardware.

I love Nintendo's Gameboy. It's such a great piece of mobile entertainment. It's simple, accessible and fun.
Then I got a PSP and a DS. And the DS was just boring. The games were visually bland, not very exciting. Gameplay was boring and slow paced.
On the other hand, the PSP gave me an incredible visual experience, fast gameplay (like the gameboys before) and impressive extra features that I fully explored (I bought a 150euro 1gb (!!! lol) memory card back in 2005!). Back then movies on the go were something amazing. Same with web browsing and podcast streaming anywhere.

Today I have a pirated PSPgo. It has 16gb memory and fits in my front pockets. I have any game I want, I have plenty of space for High-rez movies, and I can emulate neogeo, megadrive, GBA, etc.
And the battery lasts for 6-8 hours of gameplay.

I was curious about the 3DS, but I only want ONE handheld (I'm reducing drastically the number of consoles and games owned for personal reasons). As such, I want something that can provide a better experience than what I have with my PSPgo. And I don't mind paying for games at all.

Hence my apprehension with these new portables. They have 4-hour batteries. They are bulky. And they give modest visual experience upgrades due to the small screens.

I dunno man.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
Yeah I think i'm sort of along the same line, except I was just as big of a Sony opposer as I was nintendo. Especially in the Saturn era there was a lot of frustration :(.

But uhh when I had to pick one of them, I did go with the nintendo gamecube. While I had a lot of fun with it, PS2 was no doubt the superior one of the 3 when it came to software. So many good games I was missing out and still do today.. Just a few years ago we got the PS2 and I was finally able to play gems like the team ICO games, Yakuza and Shinobi

I think Nintendo consoles have sucked pretty much ever since the N64. First thing's first, Nintendo is a great game developer. It doesn't matter what console, they're first party games have always been excellent. But I think their consoles always lacked a great library with 3rd party support. Nintendo Gamecube for example had gems like metroid prime, super monkeyball and windwaker, all being mustbuys. But once done with the view of those gems, there was little there to get. I also think that nintendo consoles ever since the n64 always had a big distinction between good and bad. The good games were very good and the average game was just not worth giving a chance at all so that limited the library alot.

I 100% agree about the handhelds though. GB/GBC was amazing, GBA was pretty cool too and then the DS was just a bit lacking for it's time. The PSP is great when modded but really the psp was struggling ever since the start. I think what Sony lacks is the understanding of what the portable experience should be and how it apeals to people. People wanna be able to just play and PSP traded being advanced in graphics for long load times, but you don't wanna invest too much concentration either for the majority of time. I also think that Sony tries to replicate console experiences too much on their handheld devices. But a good game is still a good game and PSP did have alot of those. Personal favourites are FF:Crisis core and valkyria chronicles to me. I dunno since your probably like your hacked PSPgo alot :P, but do you regularly play real PSP games?

While the DS was lacking, Nintendo still had a mass load of apealing software on it for a mass croud. Piracy killed both the PSP and DS though lol, you dirty pirate!1 (nah jokin, jokin! I'm guilty as well with the DS)

Anyway I think it's early to judge so soon for the 3DS. The way I see it so far is that visually it's at the perfect level. It's on that level where games don't nesceseraly look bad anymore unless the developers are lazy. I don't think you're ever gonna be able to do all that stuff your doing on your PSPgo however. It all comes to the games and the 3D effect. Personally I have high hopes so yeah
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:10:46 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
You should go get it. Challenging, cool unlockables, and lots of fan service for dedicated Sega fans.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 07:30:52 am »
Yeah, I play real PSP games. Problem is that there aren't new ones coming out, so I'll be running out of games soon.. If the 3DS had a MegaDrive games e-store it would be great, maybe I'd get one.
Or maybe I'll wait for the redesign and hope for better battery life :)

Thanks a lot for the replies crazydude! Have fun with Shinobi and tell me how it went :)
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »
Hey thanks, hope i'll be receiving it tomorrow. This thread needs more shinobi impressions anyway lol

@Kori Maru, Thanks that sounds pretty good. Seems probably few people got it but it's not that expensive anymore guys!!

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:38 am »
It seems not alot of people have bought this game. I can sort of understand why because Shinobi 3ds gives an awful first impression when looking at images.

I got the game so the thread title doesn't do the thread justice anymore. If one of you mods could change it into "Shinobi 3ds impressiosn thread". I would be more than grateful.

I have played it for an hour or 2 now, and I gotta say guys. This game is highly underestimated by alot of people. I was surprised with the 8 it received from destructoid the other day, but the game has also got some horrible scores. Even a 2 from some random website. http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/shinobi/critic-reviews (I got the feeling that it was too much for them to handle)

When people said it was hard, I thought it was just regular hard, but even on normal mode the game challenges you so hard that you could lose all your lifes within 1 stage. I think this is fantastic!!! The game isn't unfair but solely based around your decisions and skill.

Compared to the classics i'd say mechanic wise it beats the classics. This may seem like a stretch but really I have so much fun with the gameplay and gryptonite have done such a good job in evolving shinobi to this gen. The AI is unforgivable and aggresive. The way the knife's work is that you have like 6 knifes and they slowly charge when used. I remember very early on that I was worried about infinitie knifes but this is not the case. You will find alot of moments wanting to use the knifes but not having any. In the mean time the enemies won't give you any time to think so you have to adapt quickly

Parrying is really something you gotta master and I still suck a little at it, but parrying and attacking right after makes Jiro(the main character) do a sick counter attack against the enemy.

The level design is excellent if not very unforgivable sometimes. There are very nasty botomless pits in this game that feel really cheap. Imagine a huge botomless pits existing of narrow platforms that are almost impossible to land on without the right accuracy and control. The level design gives alot of nods to the classics that will probably make a fan smile. Very good platforming and very clever use of Jiro's abilities to pass them. Also good emphasis on exploring and always fresh.

And on a finishing note I would like to compliment gryptonite's job with the music. The music is good. Nothing will surpass shinobi 3's genius work but the music is very well done to my surprise. You would think some random company would be unable to emulate the shinobi style but they nailed it imo. The music is very good and most importantly, very true to the franchise.

I recommend this to anyone who has, or is getting a 3ds. Unless you don't like hard games or average visuals, this is a very good addition to the franchise. Imo better than the ps2 games.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:10:15 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Crazy Tails' Shinobi 3DS impressions. (See post 13)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:21 am »
Glad you enjoyed it.
Edited title for you.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Crazy Tails' Shinobi 3DS impressions. (See post 13)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
this is on my short list of games to get when/if I get a 3DS.

My health plan has this deal where if I hit the gym 120 times a year i get a check for $150. Figure that's what I'll use.

Cool impressions!