Author Topic: SEGAbits rejoice. Our first Binary Domain review has arrived (from IGN)  (Read 5791 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Read the full review
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1219065p1.html

A view interesting parts
The game also features a relationship system between you and your squad mates, which is affected directly by your actions during battle and your responses during each conversation. Be good to your squad and they'll obey your orders and offer tips for defeating certain enemy types; piss them off and they'll be less helpful in a firefight – ignoring your commands and being less proactive with their attacks.

It's an interesting idea, but it ultimately feels pretty superficial as you really have to go out of your way to get them offside, and unless you're a completely unreasonable jerk then chances are you'll lead a relatively happy band of brothers and sisters throughout. Even if you are a prick on purpose, it's not like your squad will ever up and leave you, and in terms of difficulty the experience doesn't really change noticeably whether your squad mates trust you or not.
Perhaps due to the incorporation of the trust and consequence system and the importance of the AI relationships to the gameplay, there isn't any co-op support for the main campaign, which is a shame. Instead, the multiplayer consists of the usual variants on deathmatches and capture the flag, as well as a Horde-inspired co-op mode called Invasion, which throws waves of increasingly challenging enemies at you and rewards your kills with currency to spend on weapon upgrades. It's all totally playable, but doesn't present anything new and is unlikely to threaten the established online shooter stalwarts.

Closing Comments

Ironically, for a game about the eradication of androids posing as humans, Binary Domain is itself a form of replicant. It convincingly apes the mechanics and behaviours of the best shooters on the market, but its augmentations feel noticeably forced and artificial. Having said that, shearing through robots in a Neo Tokyo setting makes for a nice change of pace within a genre typically populated by alien antagonists and Eastern European enemies, and in all but name this is essentially the best Terminator game ever made. The voice command and trust systems are interesting experiments that yield slightly underdeveloped results, but ultimately Binary Domain doesn’t hang its hat on them – even without the gimmicks this is an enjoyable albeit derivative shooter that any self-respecting sci-fi fan should check out.

Overall a pretty positive, well written review. The quoted part is probably the only real negative thing that is stated. The trust system seems silly in their opinion, since it's pretty unlikely you're gonna do the wrong things for it to go down. Something I rather expected early on.

A 7.5

Lets hope for better scores. To me this review seems to be more based around technicalitiez instead of the ammount of fun
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:48:43 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: SEGAbits rejoice. Our first Binary Domain review has arrived (from IGN)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:18:09 am »
IGN just do my nut in with their piss poor marking down games for lack of co-op and on-line functions and comparing every game to COD or Gears of War .

That said the final game sounds solid and great and SEGA should really build on this now, with a bigger and more bad ass sequel. SEGA Japan needs to make more games along these lines to get back in with the die-hards
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »
IGN just do my nut in with their piss poor marking down games for lack of co-op and on-line functions and comparing every game to COD or Gears of War .

Have you played the demo? Comparrisons to Gears of War are pretty warranted....

Sounds like a good game. After the demo and its rather unintuitive interface, I was worried that it would score lower, to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:03:06 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:42 pm »
Have you played the demo? Comparrisons to Gears of War are pretty warranted....

Sounds like a good game. After the demo and its rather unintuitive interface, I was worried that it would score lower, to be honest.

I have the demo on both my PS3 (Jp demo) and the 360 (Pal English) . Like it or not its going to be compared to GOW just like Sonic was to Mario or Daytona with RR, Duke Nukem to Doom, Resident Evil to Silent Hill  even in all cases they play really different from each other, while being in the same genre and sharing lots of game design Like I said before in the old Nerds days , the Team were very much fans of Gears of War and wanted to make a game like that and the team to their credit seem to have done the best GOW style game out of any Japanese or even Western developer , Quite frankly that's an amazing achivment for your 1st effort and the AI is some of the best to come out of Japan .

Lets hope SEGA builds on this, fix the odd flaw with a Huge Big Budget sequel and with games like this and Aliens Marines  , PSO, New Sonic start to get its name back with the die hard games

Loved the demo and Zavvi have just shipped my copy out , shame I'm Nights all week and pretty much to bollocks to play the game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »
I have the demo on both my PS3 (Jp demo) and the 360 (Pal English)

. Like it or not its going to be compared to GOW just like Sonic was to Mario or Daytona with RR, Duke Nukem to Doom, Resident Evil to Silent Hill  even in all cases they play really different from each other, while being in the same genre and sharing lots of game design Like I said before in the old Nerds days , the Team were very much fans of Gears of War and wanted to make a game like that and the team to their credit seem to have done the best GOW style game out of any Japanese or even Western developer , Quite frankly that's an amazing achivment for your 1st effort and the AI is some of the best to come out of Japan .
Lets hope SEGA builds on this, fix the odd flaw with a Huge Big Budget sequel and with games like this and Aliens Marines  , PSO, New Sonic start to get its name back with the die hard games

Loved the demo and Zavvi have just shipped my copy out , shame I'm Nights all the week and be  pretty much to bollocks to play the game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:54 pm »
I finished the game and posted my quick impressions in the other threads.

If I gave it a rating it would be 9/10, the story is not up to Yakuza level (While being good for a shooter like this), and there is a lot of chase/on-rails sections, and some A.I issues, but other than that its wonderful.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »
I finished the game and posted my quick impressions in the other threads.

If I gave it a rating it would be 9/10, the story is not up to Yakuza level (While being good for a shooter like this), and there is a lot of chase/on-rails sections, and some A.I issues, but other than that its wonderful.

you played the game on Normal or Hard?
from the demo Noraml is pretty easy for a pro player, i think anyone who's familiar with shooting games should start playing with Hard Difficulty.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »
For the record its similarities to Gears of War were not cited specifically as a negative, it's just that the game didn't exactly push the genre forward like many felt Gears of War (or hell, Vanquish) did.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:47:34 pm »
7.5?

Cancelled my pre-order, defenestrated my Xbox 360 and PS3, wrote an angry letter to Sega Australia, bought a gun, shot a dog, turned myself into police so I would never have to play this trash.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:57:19 pm »
7.5?

Cancelled my pre-order, defenestrated my Xbox 360 and PS3, wrote an angry letter to Sega Australia, bought a gun, shot a dog, turned myself into police so I would never have to play this trash.

It gets worse.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/336475/reviews/binary-domain-review-a-brave-attempt-to-innovate-in-a-tired-genre-review/

7 out of 10

But the night is darkest before the dawn and I promise you, the dawn is coming!

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/binary_domain/review.html

8 out of 10

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »
Well Sega OBVIOUSLY bribed Videogamer.com...  8)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:12 am »
Hijacking CrazyTails thread at gunpoint as the official Binary Domain review thread (To be fair, until we have an official thread, dumping all the reviews I've found here)

http://www.nowgamer.com/xbox-360/xbox360-reviews/1255784/binary_domain_review.html

7.9 out of 10

http://g4mers.pl/content.php?1023-Binary-Domain-Recenzja&s=ae605ae1e4b6a5f48e89ae178d50ca40

8 out of 10

http://playfront.de/test-binary-domain-roboter-gegen-menschen/

9 out of 10

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:54 am »
I knew that good reviews would come eventually. Binary Domain seems like the sort of game that will leave you blown away even if it wasn't technically the best game in it's genre out there. Just looking at the view cutscenes and footages I can see that it probably leaves an epic experience nonetheless.

If you want to change the thread name into "Official review thread", go ahead and hijack it bro
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:28:29 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
I knew that good reviews would come eventually. Binary Domain seems like the sort of game that will leave you blown away even if it wasn't technically the best game in it's genre out there. Just looking at the view cutscenes and footages I can see that it probably leaves an epic experience nonetheless.

If you want to change the thread name into "Official review thread", go ahead and hijack it bro

Yeap, bit like Yakuza 1 I suppose, it did not seem like it would be either, but that storyline combined with most of the boss fights and action scenes, yeap neatly wrapped into a great experience.

And thanks for agreeing bro, I didn't want to fight you but you would have left me no choice! (Not that I would have won the fight, just saying)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:35 am »
Two more reviews dropped in, word of warning, they contain spoiler images! Well I noticed the Official Xbox Magazine one had, its a spoiler that I saw in the trailers so thankfully its not something that bother med too much.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/891256-binary-domain-review-gears-of-robots#ixzz1nGZZeb1w

7 out of 10

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39133/reviews/binary-domain-review/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=OXM-General-RSS

8 out of 10