Author Topic: Gaming News  (Read 71957 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Gaming News
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:13 am »
Thought I'd make a thread about everything going on in the gaming world. I sadly have to start off with the bad news that Gametrailers.com has announced on twitter they will be shutting down.

It's sad, but also not surprising really. They started off by being the go to site for gaming videos, but they when they started taking things away from users, it quickly went downhill for me. I think for me the first sign of them going was when they were bought by another company. The big characters started to go and was replaced with what they have now.

For me, I think the standard in writing has been dropping in the media anyway, but it's still sad to see people lose their jobs.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Gaming News
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:05:59 am »
Newsflash: Gaming is dead.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
Newsflash: Gaming is dead.

Wwwhhhaaatt?!

Just seen on twitter from one of the older team members. He basically said it's no surprise they've fallen as when Ad Blocker become a thing, it took its toll on GT.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:36:09 pm by Tad »

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:49:55 pm »
And yet IGN and Polygon are still alive and kicking.

I love my Adblocker but they should kill the shitty gaming new sites, not the decent ones.

Offline Tad

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »
It really is a shame. I don't usually bother with reviewers, but GT were there before YouTube etc and gave gamers the ability to see gameplay etc before many others. They hosted and streamed E3 every year and did a great job if it. Their look back and timeline series was great and well researched, while their team always showed a lot of passion in their work - you only have to see Bosman and Huber's reaction during the FF7 and Shenmue announcement. They rarely went for click bait nonsense too which is very rare nowadays.

As for others...

The UK IGN team are good and the only other one I know of is Keza Mcdonald from Kotaku. Polygon, US IGN, Kinda funny, Jim Sterling etc are all pretty poor. Sterling tends to have good editorials in the form of Jimquistions, but the rest is just click bait nonsense like the rest of them. At least others like Video Gamer UK say and know they're just a bunch of friends who enjoy playing games.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:09 pm »
Someone from this board pointed me to NicheGamer. God bless that poster. NicheGamer is my new home away from this board. FAO Gaming News sites period.

but back on topic: Gaming News. Well the only gaming news that I'm really interested in is how Sega's bringing JP properties westward again. Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles have a firm footing in the west again. 7thDragon in English is going to be a thing now? Are you kidding me??? All we need is a good Sonic game and VF6 and Sega is officially on top again.

Too hyped for this new direction Sega is taking and perfect timing too as other publisher's offerings are either outright disappointing (SF5) or just flat-out uninteresting.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »
Nichegamer is good, but I feel like Siliconera and Gematsu are superior for Japanese content. But Nichegamer is new, so it will improve in due time. Gaming.Moe is cool too. Shumplations.com does translations of old Japanese developer interviews that most people have never seen. Some great stuff.

Sadly one of my favorite blogs closed back in 2012, Andriasang.com. Fantastic coverage by the guy that ran it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:32:07 pm by George »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:05:45 pm »
Nichegamer is good, but I feel like Siliconera and Gematsu are superior for Japanese content. But Nichegamer is new, so it will improve in due time. Gaming.Moe is cool too. Shumplations.com does translations of old Japanese developer interviews that most people have never seen. Some great stuff.

Sadly one of my favorite blogs closed back in 2012, Andriasang.com. Fantastic coverage by the guy that ran it.

Shumplations.com ? What you meant is shmuplations.com, right?

As for me my favorite blog is senpaigamer, they only posted simple japanese-related gaming news and are a bit quicker than Siliconera and Gematsu.
The only drawback is its grammar. It's understandable though since it's being ran by a guy which english isn't his everyday language.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:18 pm »
^ correct.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:25 pm »
Only gaming sites i ever visit are n4g, SEGABits, and Sega Forum.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:01:52 am »
I only read SegaBits and watch Classic Game Room.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:55 am »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:57 pm »
The Xbox thing is really interesting. Either it could be a huge blow, or the exact evolution consoles need becoming similar to what phones do nowadays. Having all same compatibility, but performance and IQ depending on the hardware.

Offline Tad

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 01:04:41 pm »
I'm not against it, but if it is done it needs to be handled well and can't be an every year sort of deal I feel. Last gen lasted roughly 10 years, so I don't think it would be a big deal if they had 2/3 upgrades during that time. Small increments would just be a right pain I feel.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:55:08 pm »
Again, Sega proves to be ahead of its time with the 32X
SEG4GES