Author Topic: The films of 2013 of Wolverines, Kryptons, Stars & billionaire industrialists.  (Read 34952 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Let's get the ball rolling with this recently released trailer;

The Wolverine (Domestic Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AWemNKXIou4

On one hand I am pretty excited for another Logan story, but being burned by 4 bad X-Men films in a row means I'm going to this with lowered expectations.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:06:06 am by Aki-at »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Oh shit! It starts!

Well, I am looking forward to The Wolverine far more than Wolverine Origins. The effects look bad, but the story sounds really cool.

However, this year I'm not too excited for the superhero movies. Iron Man 3 I'll see, but am not hyped for. Man of Steel I want to see day one, but mainly because its a brand new series and I want to see how it turns out.

Star Trek Into Darkness - again, want to see it but not especially hyped. Looks very unlike a Trek movie. Plus, I'm not a big Trek fan.

I think the second Hobbit is the only movie I'm legitimately excited for, mainly because it covers my favorite moments of the story.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
The Wolverine was probably the film I was most looking forward too but have not like any X-Men film since the first one so a bit cautious. Iron Man 3 I want to look forward to but on my guard after how Marvel used Iron Man 2 to basically set up the Avengers.

Star Trek Into Darkness - again, want to see it but not especially hyped. Looks very unlike a Trek movie. Plus, I'm not a big Trek fan.

To be fair, the first one more or less destroyed the canon of the series.

[spoiler] It was not even a traditional report, the fact they tried to connect both timelines but one got resetted cheesed me off to no end. Being a big fan of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, it hurt bro, HURT MY SOUL.

But will watch for Sherlock.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Sherlock makes Hobbit 2 and Trek 2 worth seeing. Can't wait to see Hobbit Watson vs. Dragon Sherlock.

Totally agreed on Iron Man 2. It felt way too much like an advert for The Avengers. Too many references and cameos and tidbits that tied to Avengers. It really weakened the movie itself. My only reservation about IM3 is that the Mandarin looks to be trying to hard to be a Bane/Joker hybrid.

Star Trek always works better as a series. The whole concept is made for a series. Continuing mission and a sizable crew means countless stories starring different characters. As movies they either play out as made-for-TV movies with a big budget, or in the latest movies case, movies starring Kirk and Spock and relegating everybody else to supporting roles.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Damn, the screenwriter on Thor 2: The Dark World died at age 48 of bone cancer a few days ago?! I'm shocked I haven't heard this yet.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/don-payne-writer-for-thor-simpsons-dies-at-48-1200329645/

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Yeah, real sad. He wrote some pretty good modern day Simpsons episodes too. He still had two episodes yet to release, including one that is this years christmas episode.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Not sure about the Wolverine film. I thought the first X-Men movie was decent, haven't seen the other ones except for Origins, which was terrible of course.

I'm hyped for Iron Man 3. It's got a different director, but the new one also directed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Which is a great movie in which Robert Downey Jr. is being Robert Downey Jr..

Man of Steel could be good, according to early impressions it's a lot less serious than the trailers suggest. I'm interested in it either way as I like seeing new takes on Superman.

I don't really care much about old Star Trek, but I really enjoyed the J.J. Abrams movie and I hope Into Darkness will be as good or better than it. I'll see Hobbit 2 since I watched the first one, not hyped for it but it should be entertaining. Thor 2 should be entertaining as well, seeing how the first Thor was surprisingly good.

The movie I'm probably hyped the most for though is The World's End. It's the last in the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy, which is a trilogy of movies starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as lead characters, Edgar Wright as director and Nira Park as producer. The previous two movies were Shaun of the Dead, which was great, and Hot Fuzz, which might be my favorite comedy of all time. It releases in August so hopefully a trailer will be released soon.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Man of Steel is comicbook movie of the year. Lets not kid ourselfs ;3

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
X-Men 1 is pretty good, it has its flaws but it is an early ensamble superhero movie so I'll let the faults slide. X-Men 2 is awesome, one of my favorite superhero movies. Sure Wolverine is basically the star, but it is just such a fun flick. X-Men 3 is garbage, so many characters are given cheap deaths and the running time is way too short. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is also a really weak movie, and thankfully The Wolverine looks to be pretty much ignoring it. I loved X-Men First Class and am really looking forward to X-Men: Days of Future Past. To me, X-Men: Days of Future Past looks to be an awesome sequel to First Class AND a proper third installment in the original franchise (thanks to time travel pretty much erasing the events of the third film).

I have a feeling Man of Steel might be a surprise hit. I mean, it is only a few months away and it isn't even being hyped. Sort of reminds me of Batman Begins. We were all like "Oh, a reboot? Well the original series is the best, can't see how they'll top it." But like how Dark Knight blew away the Burton/Schumacher movies, I have a feeling that Man of Steel will do the same to the Donner/Lester/Singer films.*

*I do love the original Batman as well as Superman 1, the director's cut of 2 and Superman Returns, but the other movies really ruined the overall franchises for me.

Offline George

I hope the movie doesn't stray too much from the comics (depends on the arc too, Superman comics are very hit and miss imo). But I would have loved for them just to do a movie based on Superman Earth One vol 1 &2. I see more hype on forums for Man of Steel than the Wolverine movie.

The issue with DC is that they never try to just... bring the damn Comic over. I 'liked' the Nolan movies. But fuck, was Batman not really batman in those movies. Batman isn't about 'pride' he is about taking down dudes, the smartest way possible. He wouldn't have stayed doing push ups while Gotham was being destroyed.

He would have found a way to get out of there asap, get there, take down Bane and have time to watch his soaps.

Anyway, them tears:

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Here's the thing... Maybe it's just me... but I'm not getting a good vibe out of The Wolverine.
It doesn't help that X-Men Origins: Wolverine was terrible, but normally when I see a movie trailer getting released this late, it always raises a red flag with me.

I'm dead set on Kick Ass 2, the first movie wasn't that much of a hit, so count me surprised with this release. I'm moderately excited by Iron Man 3, partly because of the lackluster sequel.

Man of Steel, now that's a real looker.

Also, you guys need to see GI Joe: Retaliation. That's the first real major comic book movie this year. End of story!

Offline George

Kick Ass 2 should be good. I read the comics and it was a bit over the top with the rape and child killings, but I heard that was cut from the movie.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Kick Ass 2 should be good. I read the comics and it was a bit over the top with the rape and child killings, but I heard that was cut from the movie.
I'm just going to wait and see with Kick-Ass 2. The first Kick-Ass was a disappointment IMO.

Offline George

Then yeah, you will probably hate this one. Not much has really changed. I liked the first film, but I can see the distaste for it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Oh shit, that third Man of Steel trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Probably my most anticipated movie of the year.