Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 273305 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:42:04 pm »
I know, I know, Mr Negative over here, but I want to ask this realisticaly. Removing our bias towards Sega and as fans of the game, as much as we want this to succeed;

Is Bayonetta 2 going to bomb?
More importantly, will it bomb so hard that the franchise will be abandoned and a Bayonetta 3 will never see the light of day?

As sad as it is to consider, I just don't see this game succeeding on the WiiU. The console is already struggling for market-share, and more importantly, the fans of the first game were on Xbox and PS3, there has never been a Nintendo Bayonetta before. Time and again we see that the best selling games on Nintendo platforms are their first party titles, and I just can't see a scenario where Bayonetta 2 will do big enough numbers to gain the attention of another publisher.

I'm sure there are the hardcore fans out there like myself who will probably buy the Wii-U at some point to play the game (and others like W101) but realistically I don't think it's going to be a game that pushes consoles out the door.

Is this the last stand of our favourite witch?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:16:29 pm by Will »

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:44:47 pm »
It's not going to kill the franchise, it's just that Kamiya doesn't plan on making any  more Bayonetta games. He's said that he might be interested in spinoffs featuring Jeanne.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
I think the better question is, who would have given bayonetta a 2nd chance if nintendo didnt pick it up? Some other publisher perhaps?

It's a miracle we're even able to speculate about what'll happen after the 2nd game.

My thought is that bayonetta 2 has been done months ago and theyve been trying to stratrgcay place it. In japan its now being placed summer together with legend of zelda hyrule warriors after mario karts big launch. Im hoping to see a healthy launch for bayo within that momentum
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:39:15 pm by CrazyT »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:52:49 pm »
^In terms of 'who would have published it', I think what's done is done, and while I agree I'd rather see the game be made Nintendo exclusive than not at all, I do think that it's a death sentance for this series. Just that we get two games instead of one perhaps?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »
I can definitely understand the thought of wanting the game to succeed even if you'll be able to selfishly get your fun out of it. If the game bombs(which is the most likely scenario for all the reasons you've stated), i'd be very pissed with Nintendo's treatment. Franchise deserves a lot better and I would have rather had an other publisher to have picked it up

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
I can definitely understand the thought of wanting the game to succeed even if you'll be able to selfishly get your fun out of it. If the game bombs(which is the most likely scenario for all the reasons you've stated), i'd be very pissed with Nintendo's treatment. Franchise deserves a lot better and I would have rather had an other publisher to have picked it up

I would have rather had another publisher pick it up that can do multi-platform, but at the same time I can't blame Nintendo yet. It's not like they've neglected the game at this point, and I hope they do put some oomph behind the marketing etc come closer to launch.

I think it's just the nature of their console, and the situation it's in rather than any fault of Nintendo's directly. I do find it strange that Nintendo of all companies were the ones to pick it up though. I guess they wanted more 'hardcore' games to show off their platform when it was new?

I don't think they'll ever be seen as a legitimate mainstream alternative since you can't really easily multiplat with their console due to very different power and control styles compared to PC/Xbox/PS4.

We also can't forget that through all of this Sega owns the IP, and frankly, I don't trust them to do anything good with it after Bayonetta 2. Either they'll mothball the series, or they'll palm it off to an ill-suited developer. I hope I'm wrong, but... Sega...

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:11:20 pm »
It's a cult game for what is considered a cult console. Nintendo needed these kind of games to fill out their library.
I am worried if Bayonetta's fanbase will play the game.  There was a lot of anger and salt out of the announcement.  We need more gamers who are open to all platforms but not everybody has the money to dish out all the consoles right away.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk Bayonetta 2 was dead from the moment they announced it as a Wii-U exclusive.

I have my doubts, after Anarchy Reigns, many of PA's later outings felt like B-team efforts, Bayonetta 2 was announced in 2012, it's been two years and not even a proper release date.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk Bayonetta 2 was dead from the moment they announced it as a Wii-U exclusive.

I have my doubts, after Anarchy Reigns, many of PA's later outings felt like B-team efforts, Bayonetta 2 was announced in 2012, it's been two years and not even a proper release date.

I think Anarchy Reigns had potential, but was just a concept that was doomed to fail, especially on console. It's an online only game that's very niche, meaning if there's no community it fails. I bought it and wanted to enjoy it but could never find a match, it doesn't help that I was in Australia so there was bad netcode and not many players.

I can't help but feel that's a title that would have benefitted from a PC release, give a free weekend on Steam or something and the cheaper price of PC games might have resulted in a better, more dedicated playerbase? I dunno.

Metal Gear Rising was very good I thought, not a patch on Bayo, but still very good.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:44:34 am »
Anarchy Reigns has offline modes.  Though I think I misunderstood, it is PG's first multiplayer-oriented title.

Offline fernandeath

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:25 am »
If Bayonetta 2 flops it'll be related to the WiiU's weak fanbase and not because of the quality of the game (although it might not be as great as we're expecting).

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:20 am »
Don't worry, if sales wouldn't kill the franchise, Platinum probably not wanting to make a sequel would.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:40:48 pm »
Nah just force everybody to rent a Wii U to play the game. That is why it is only on the WiiU, from my understanding. SEGA had it all wrong, with X-box. They figured out with enough cool games, Nintendophiles, will not have anything else, to do, but purchase their games. Capcom played that card, and it worked, uptill PN03.

PN03, needed blood, cleaning robots, and something interesting like ghosts.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
Bayonetta 1 killed the franchise; Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2 and had it not been for Nintendo giving the game a second life we might not have ever gotten to play it.

But yeah, I think it's safe to say that Bayonetta 2 will likely be the last one. But I think that's more or less expected, I don't think Kamiya expected to keep making Bayonetta games.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 01:16:04 am »
Nintendo killed Bayonetta.