Author Topic: Sonic The Hedgehog - A Little Ball of Energy in an Extremely Handsome Package  (Read 430970 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
To make their work simple, just use what already existed.
Something I noticed of Sega now and again, especially IDW Sonic. re-using assets than making exclusives.

Like serously, it's a 2023 calender, can't they just make new exclusive art for it on-off throughout 2022?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Something I noticed of Sega now and again, especially IDW Sonic. re-using assets than making exclusives.

Like serously, it's a 2023 calender, can't they just make new exclusive art for it on-off throughout 2022?

They can but the costs would also go up since they had to pay more for the artists,
and the calendar's price would also go up too.
I guess they want to keep the price at reasonable price.

Offline Berto

Into the SEGAverse – The SEGAbits Swingin' Report Show LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt-C0AzoKWo

Offline Mystic Monkey

They can but the costs would also go up since they had to pay more for the artists,
and the calendar's price would also go up too.
I guess they want to keep the price at reasonable price.
I'm willing to fork up a bit more dough than the usual if it's quality new content.

Offline Berto

I'm willing to fork up a bit more dough than the usual if it's quality new content.

For Sonic fans may be, but they're aiming for general.
For people who recoqnize Sonic (from movie or tv series, but not love him that much)
or parents who thought their kids may like it.
For this kind of people, the price difference matters.

Offline Mystic Monkey

For Sonic fans may be, but they're aiming for general.
For people who recoqnize Sonic (from movie or tv series, but not love him that much)
or parents who thought their kids may like it.
For this kind of people, the price difference matters.
I guess, but it's still an issue I wish Sonic Team would handle with more tact.
For example I regard Sonic Colours and Sonic Lost World as games more catered for the demographic audience (children to teens) than the long term fans (Classic-Dreamcast era fans that remained) Because of this, I feel at odd with these games, me often regarding them the worst modern Sonic games have to offer (post-'06), but I know that's somewhat hypocritical of me because these games were made mostly for younger fans than "all the fans". And thus I resort to the grandpa mindset of "You youngin's should play the games we had if you want quality content" while the younin's just see the Mega Drive and Dreamcast as outdated uncool technology. And it doesn't help with IGN and other reviews that paint these old games badly.

Still, games like Sonic Mania, Generations and even Forces make good "beginners" games for those who never touched a Sonic game before or have little context of the franchise. And while Sonic Origin don't interest me none it will allow those youngin's a platform to play these games on.

Offline Berto

I guess, but it's still an issue I wish Sonic Team would handle with more tact.
For example I regard Sonic Colours and Sonic Lost World as games more catered for the demographic audience (children to teens) than the long term fans (Classic-Dreamcast era fans that remained) Because of this, I feel at odd with these games, me often regarding them the worst modern Sonic games have to offer (post-'06), but I know that's somewhat hypocritical of me because these games were made mostly for younger fans than "all the fans". And thus I resort to the grandpa mindset of "You youngin's should play the games we had if you want quality content" while the younin's just see the Mega Drive and Dreamcast as outdated uncool technology. And it doesn't help with IGN and other reviews that paint these old games badly.

Still, games like Sonic Mania, Generations and even Forces make good "beginners" games for those who never touched a Sonic game before or have little context of the franchise. And while Sonic Origin don't interest me none it will allow those youngin's a platform to play these games on.

Hopefully Sonic Origin has a new content, new playable characters, or ton of unlockables.
If it just like SEGA Ages version, it does feel lacking of reasons to buy the game.
I'm sure old school fans have played Sonic Genesis tetralogy to death and yeah, newer Generation will prefer 3D Sonic and think why would they buy Origin when Frontiers is coming soon.

Offline Berto

First 4 Figures Teased Sonic 30th Anniversary Statue During Their Sneak Peeks Livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyh9lY6NVo8

Offline Mystic Monkey

Hopefully Sonic Origin has a new content, new playable characters, or ton of unlockables.
If it just like SEGA Ages version, it does feel lacking of reasons to buy the game.
I'm sure old school fans have played Sonic Genesis tetralogy to death and yeah, newer Generation will prefer 3D Sonic and think why would they buy Origin when Frontiers is coming soon.
If Sonic Origins had Sonic World then it would definitely be a selling point for me. But if it's just a standard compilation then, well I already have the games on Steam.

But Sonic Team really should balance it's market for both young and old fans. My Little Pony being a brilliant example of it. When Lauren Faust was hired to make Friendship is Magic, she didn't want to make the show "just for little girls" as expected for MLP. She knew those little girls would encourage their parents or their older brothers to watch the show with them and thus Faust aimed the show for families to enjoy. Because of this mindset she triggered a phenomenon of a MLP TV show that had a demograph that surpassed interest of it's target audience and grew a cult following.

While Hasbro didn't know what to do with this unexpected audience and did try to curb them down a bit, the thing is they were making more profit from the additional older fans than they did from the pocket money and parents interest of their target demograph.

Sonic the Hedgehog has been around since the 90s and have fans that not only grew up with the franchise but have jobs and incomes to the point that a thirty-something year old man buying a Sonic game for himself isn't as weird as a parent buying the game for their kids. But kids usually get games if they can buy them with pocket money or if their parents will buy it for them, in which case it maybe for Birthday or Christmas.
I'm just saying that Sonic Team should strive to balance their demograph for both than just one or the other and like MLP:FiM be of appropriate interest of the young target audience while still be of relevent interest to the older audience.

Offline Berto

If Sonic Origins had Sonic World then it would definitely be a selling point for me. But if it's just a standard compilation then, well I already have the games on Steam.

But Sonic Team really should balance it's market for both young and old fans. My Little Pony being a brilliant example of it. When Lauren Faust was hired to make Friendship is Magic, she didn't want to make the show "just for little girls" as expected for MLP. She knew those little girls would encourage their parents or their older brothers to watch the show with them and thus Faust aimed the show for families to enjoy. Because of this mindset she triggered a phenomenon of a MLP TV show that had a demograph that surpassed interest of it's target audience and grew a cult following.

While Hasbro didn't know what to do with this unexpected audience and did try to curb them down a bit, the thing is they were making more profit from the additional older fans than they did from the pocket money and parents interest of their target demograph.

Sonic the Hedgehog has been around since the 90s and have fans that not only grew up with the franchise but have jobs and incomes to the point that a thirty-something year old man buying a Sonic game for himself isn't as weird as a parent buying the game for their kids. But kids usually get games if they can buy them with pocket money or if their parents will buy it for them, in which case it maybe for Birthday or Christmas.
I'm just saying that Sonic Team should strive to balance their demograph for both than just one or the other and like MLP:FiM be of appropriate interest of the young target audience while still be of relevent interest to the older audience.

It's not standard compilation.
It's being remade into widescreen mode, with Tails and Knuckles are playable in all versions.
Sonic CD probably's still the same as Steam version, but Sonic 1,2,3&K is definitely different, more like Whitehead's mobile version of Sonic 1&2.

MLP's cult is kinda different.
I don't see them being rude to other fans like Sonic fans who prefer one game compared to another.
The fans don't fight among themselves.

Thankfully my kids love Sonic so I can just justify myself that I'm buying the game for them, lol.
And seeing their playtime is much more than mine, of course I can tell mysell that excuse.
Of course I can't use that excuse for Yakuza, Persona 5 Strikers, and other mature games.

Offline Mystic Monkey

It's not standard compilation.
It's being remade into widescreen mode, with Tails and Knuckles are playable in all versions.
Sonic CD probably's still the same as Steam version, but Sonic 1,2,3&K is definitely different, more like Whitehead's mobile version of Sonic 1&2.
Wide screen mode would be interesting, but I've played those games over and over that other than being Whitehead's remakes they don't really appeal to me that much.
MLP's cult is kinda different.
I don't see them being rude to other fans like Sonic fans who prefer one game compared to another.
The fans don't fight among themselves.
I've been on Ponychan longer than Segabits forum and I can tell you the Sonic fandom and Bronies have a lot in common, more than some of each sides care to admit. Such as the bronies of /co/, Ponychan and /b/ before /mlp/ came along. And I've met fellow bronies I did not get along with.

Oh, and smut art, a lot of smut art.
Thankfully my kids love Sonic so I can just justify myself that I'm buying the game for them, lol.
And seeing their playtime is much more than mine, of course I can tell mysell that excuse.
Of course I can't use that excuse for Yakuza, Persona 5 Strikers, and other mature games.
True but isn't it nice when we get SOnic games that appeal to both young and old? Take Sonic Adventure for example, the misile scene is perhaps my favourite part of the game. Some would perhaps regard it relative to terrorism to todays standards and be offensive to some but it's not like the game has swearing, blood or other mature themes. Sonic Adventure was still a good game for children and teens but not outside of older fans interests who grew up with the Sonic franchise at that point.

Offline Berto

I've been on Ponychan longer than Segabits forum and I can tell you the Sonic fandom and Bronies have a lot in common, more than some of each sides care to admit. Such as the bronies of /co/, Ponychan and /b/ before /mlp/ came along. And I've met fellow bronies I did not get along with.

Oh, and smut art, a lot of smut art.

Guess I only knew small fraction of them. I'm not a ponychan but most of ponychans that I met on Facebook are nice persons.

True but isn't it nice when we get SOnic games that appeal to both young and old? Take Sonic Adventure for example, the misile scene is perhaps my favourite part of the game. Some would perhaps regard it relative to terrorism to todays standards and be offensive to some but it's not like the game has swearing, blood or other mature themes. Sonic Adventure was still a good game for children and teens but not outside of older fans interests who grew up with the Sonic franchise at that point.

Indeed. Both I and my kids love Sonic Adventure so it does appeal to both young and old.
The difference is my kids spent most of their playing time in Chao's Garden.

Offline Berto

The secret is out...

Offline Mystic Monkey

Guess I only knew small fraction of them. I'm not a ponychan but most of ponychans that I met on Facebook are nice persons.
Old-school Ponychanners are nice but these days Ponychan is... well I won't say at all toxic just not how I remember it. I used to be everywhere on /oat/, now I doubt most are aware I lurk there. I'm just saying that as both a brony and a Sonic fan, I see the common factors. Sonic fans are just as dedicated to Sonic as bronies are to the ponies. Yes there is smut art of ponies which may make them look weird and outcasted to those outsaide the fandom but there's been smut art of Sonic and his friends since Rouge the Bat was introduced. And of course while the fandom is relatively at peace there is still debate and stupidity just as there is with Sonic's fandom. The only stark difference is that SOnic's been around since the 90s.
Indeed. Both I and my kids love Sonic Adventure so it does appeal to both young and old.The difference is my kids spent most of their playing time in Chao's Garden.
Chao Gardens were a gold mine for Sega and it's foolish of them to abandon them. I bet chao could of been on par with Pokémon if Sega had a well plan market strategy for them, though too late for that now.
But that what made the Sonic Adventure games so great, they had something for everyone than just "Reach the goal and go to next stage" like the Classic-era games had. It was a shame SA2 was more linear than it's prequal and Sonic Heroes just returned to "reach the goal" format. I bet Sonic '06 would of saved the Dreamcast-era gameplay if it wasn't a rushed mess which ended the Dreamcast-era gameplay.

Offline Berto

Old-school Ponychanners are nice but these days Ponychan is... well I won't say at all toxic just not how I remember it. I used to be everywhere on /oat/, now I doubt most are aware I lurk there. I'm just saying that as both a brony and a Sonic fan, I see the common factors. Sonic fans are just as dedicated to Sonic as bronies are to the ponies. Yes there is smut art of ponies which may make them look weird and outcasted to those outsaide the fandom but there's been smut art of Sonic and his friends since Rouge the Bat was introduced. And of course while the fandom is relatively at peace there is still debate and stupidity just as there is with Sonic's fandom. The only stark difference is that SOnic's been around since the 90s.

Most of Ponychans that I know also like Sonic, dunno why. Were there any similarities?

Chao Gardens were a gold mine for Sega and it's foolish of them to abandon them. I bet chao could of been on par with Pokémon if Sega had a well plan market strategy for them, though too late for that now.
But that what made the Sonic Adventure games so great, they had something for everyone than just "Reach the goal and go to next stage" like the Classic-era games had. It was a shame SA2 was more linear than it's prequal and Sonic Heroes just returned to "reach the goal" format. I bet Sonic '06 would of saved the Dreamcast-era gameplay if it wasn't a rushed mess which ended the Dreamcast-era gameplay.

May be that's why we never got SA2-like game anymore, they deemed it as failure since Sonic '06 failed.
Hopefully Sonic Frontiers would change that.