Author Topic: your sonic top 5 or 10 if ye wanna  (Read 9697 times)

Offline semmie

• Banned
your sonic top 5 or 10 if ye wanna
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:23:15 am »
most ol scool sonic fans and new scool have the same taste when talking about sonic.
i feel like an outcast when i hear peeps sayin that sonic 2 of the genesis is the best ever.

im curious about the top 5 of everyone here. ok if you really dont wanna cast aside the other sonics yo may chart to 10. so here is mine

1. sonic 3d of the saturn.
while many of you dont like this game cause it was a different formule. still i dont care and say its the best. the soundtracks are really good. and if you would actually try to go on in the game you would start to like it.
2. sonic3 and knuckles
the sprites here are pure and the background and variety n levels makes you so happy. and the knuckles character really brings a new concept of flying and climbing. plus the stages are big. and there are many zones.
3.(((((((sonic the hedgehog 1 of the master system)))))).  it was once my number one  cause i found one MD better then 2 MD. sonic cd MCD and 1 MD have a special place in my heart
4.sonic adventure 1 probably the first functional sonic in 3d. nice story many levels with good rpg element. this one was massive.
5.sonic advance 3
i hear no one talking about this game anymore. this is probably one of the best 2d sonics.
while sonic advance1 was good as well. but 2 fudged up the deal. but then when sonic advance 3 came. wow

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:30:40 am by semmie »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: your sonic top 5 or 10 if ye wanna
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:39:43 am »
Of all time?

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

2. Sonic 2

3. Sonic Colors

4. Sonic Generations

5. Sonic 1

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:57:09 am »
1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Sonic 2

3. Sonic 1

4. Sonic Generations

5. Sonic3nK/sonic adventure/sonic cd ... Cant decide lol
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:40:23 am »
Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn the best??? Hahahahhahahaha! Oh my.

To be fair, 3D Blast isn't a bad game. But far from best when talking all around Sonic games. It's more Flicky than Sonic to begin with. I guess you, semmie, prefer Flicky to Sonic gameplay? Thats the only way I can see deeming it "the best". Its a different formula in that its not even a Sonic formula. More like Flicky with some Sonic elements. I would say, though, that 3D Blast is the best non-compilation Sonic game for the Saturn, the music is great (both Saturn and Genesis) and the Saturn special stages are fun.

My top 5 6:

1. Sonic Jam - The entire Genesis Sonic saga, bonus elements like spindash in Sonic 1, different modes, the awesome Sonic World museum, video clips, images, mini-games. Really, this is the best Sonic compilation ever, and my preferred method of playing the Genesis originals. Plus, it makes a great #1 Sonic game, as it sneakily includes Sonic 1-3&K

2. Sonic Generations - Might be the flavor of the week, and will slip on my list in a few years, but I still very much love this game. The best 3D Sonic gameplay of the current gen era, and really good 2D Sonic stages. It's just so awesome to be playing 2D Sonic, on a console, and it's developed wholly by Sonic Team. I'll admit, I do enjoy Sonic 4, specifically Episode 2, but it wouldn't make a top 5 list and it's a shame it wasn't developed wholly by Sonic Team. Generations satisfies that for me, and is just such a nostalgic love letter to Sonic fans, not to mention a great game to boot.

3. Sonic Adventure 2 - a part of the reason I love this game is nostalgia, but I'll be damned if when I replayed the XBLA version to review, I wasn't genuinely entertained. Sure the rose tinted glasses were on from time to time (especially during the kooky cutscenes) but I honest to god enjoyed the game. The pacing is tight, the music is great, the Sonic/Shadow gameplay was a lot of fun. Even the other stuff like mechs and treasure hunts were fun. Oh yeah, I really like the boss battles and stories in SA2 as well. My favorite Dreamcast platformer for sure, and my favorite Sonic game of the Dreamcast/XBOX/PS2/Gamecube era.

4. Sonic CD (XBLA) - The SEGA CD original is enjoyable, but I like the rerelease far better. For starters, it's stable, unlike my hit or miss SEGA CD laser. :P Also, the little additions like Tails, spindash and two soundtracks make for a really well rounded package. The game is a fun "what-if" sort of title, in that being developed after Sonic 1, the team behind it really didn't have a long history of Sonic titles to reference when it came to creating that was essentially the third Sonic game to exist. I totally get why some people (like Sharky, I believe) hates it, as it does require you to play it differently than most Sonic titles. But unlike 3D Blast, it does not change up the formula and make an entirely new game. Instead, exploration is more important than going from point A to B. Once you get over that, and try not to blask from left to right, its a really fun experimental Sonic title that has more hits than misses. Graphics are lovely, two soundtracks are auditory bliss, and I gotta be honest... I like that it retains a number of Sonic 1 elements! Love Sonic 2 (far more than CD) but its a great Sonic 1.5.

5. Sonic Colors - Can't believe I first thought this was a Sonic version of Mario Paint when it was revealed. It really is a solid 3D Sonic game. My only negatives: the power ups take over the standard Sonic formula at times a bit too much, and I hate that the overworld map doesn't really tell you what act is which. Some acts play like classic Sonic Adventure style, while others are short 2D puzzles. I ended up making a cheat sheet for the acts that play like true Sonic stages and not just mini-puzzles.

Anyway, everything else is very solid. Just Sonic & Tails vs. Eggman. I loved that Cubot returned, finally some continuity in the modern era (and Generations strengthened this with a flashback to the ending of Colors). Music is excellent, stage design is classic Sonic (seriously, stages like Planet Wisp feel straight out of the Genesis era), gameplay is solid. 3D is great fun, bigger emphasis on 2D is a treat for classic era fans. The double jump is goofy, but it does help a great deal in getting jumps right. Sort of a cheat I guess, but at least it doesn't ruin the game.

6. Sonic Adventure - had to add one on. I love SA1, but a lot of that love is nostalgia. I think the game is best now when played from the stage select screen. The Adventure fields are just far to tedious now. I've played through SA1 about 6 times, and the last few were not so enjoyable. Advenutre field hit and the game was :P action stage hit and the game was :D Amy/Big stage hit and the game was :-\

Still, as the first 3D Sonic platformer, it is a great accomplishment, if a little dated. Really, you're not going to see so many Genesis era elements carried over to a 3D title ever again. Sonic stages are fun and plentiful. Really, playing all of Sonic's stages from start to finish is better than all of SA2, in my opinion, however thats not the whole game nor is it really an option in the game (gotta keep going back to the stage select menu). Thus the game is 6th on the list, but that doesn't mean its a bad title at all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:36:34 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:30 am »
Well, if Sonic Jam is a valid entry I have to remake my list :/ I'll hit you up tonight with my remade list
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »
Well, if Sonic Jam is a valid entry I have to remake my list :/ I'll hit you up tonight with my remade list

ok add some rules

no sonic gems
sonic compilation
sonic jam
or any other known or unknown compilation
sonic 3 and knuckles is exceptional cause that is actually the game.

u may choose sonic related games such as
tails of the game gear .
sonic riders is also sonic. and sonic allstars is also sonic.
as long as it is a standalone game its ok.

shadow the hedgehog is approved

LOL
just to make things clear ;)

to barry;
keep your chart. dont change it. the rules starts from now :)

im still amazed how people love sonic 2 MD so much. i mean i like it but not to that extend

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:08 pm »
You only ever said "top 5", no mention was made of games or compilations or spin-offs. You only stipulated it had to be "sonic".

Besides, Sonic Jam's games were built from the ground up to run on Saturn hardware and include various tweaks and gameplay modes. They're nothing like Gems or Mega Collection or Ultimate Genesis Collection. Those are emulated Genesis/PC titles. Sonic Jam's games are essentially different games from the Genesis originals, not emulations. Comparable to the XBLA/PSN/iOS Sonic CD. In my opinion that right there sets them apart from emulated compilation discs.

Remakes and revisions should totally count.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:56:23 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »
You only ever said "top 5", no mention was made of games or compilations or spin-offs. You only stipulated it had to be "sonic".

Besides, Sonic Jam's games were built from the ground up to run on Saturn hardware and include various tweaks and gameplay modes. They're nothing like Gems or Mega Collection or Ultimate Genesis Collection. Those are emulated Genesis/PC titles. Sonic Jam's games are essentially different games from the Genesis originals, not emulations. Comparable to the XBLA/PSN/iOS Sonic CD. In my opinion that right there sets them apart from emulated compilation discs.

Remakes and revisions should totally count.

haha, I side with Semmie on this one. No compilations allowed. Stand alone titles only (makes choosing your fav tougher). Picking the Sonic Jam version of an individual title should be allowed though.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »
I stick to my list. I refuse to follow any rules.  >:(

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:39 am »
I stick to my list. I refuse to follow any rules.  >:(

sonic jam does have something different then other sonics. it makes it look like sonic adventure. but you will be pointed to play from 3d world into a 2d world, where u get to choos the previous sonics. it a doubt matter cause it is actually a compilation.

But the thing with compilations is that u play games seperatly.
in sonic jam you have to run to them and basically them games are fused.
('dont worry bout th e rules joking most of the time)

there is a homebrew game totally made out of pixel but ment to look 3d sonic robo blast its called
a perfect example that it was possible to have 3d even in genesis and MD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:20:41 am by semmie »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:17 am »
I highly doubt Sonic Robo Blast would run on the MegaDrive.. Maybe with the Mega CD, but just maybe.. Cool game though.
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 05:49:38 am »
I highly doubt Sonic Robo Blast would run on the MegaDrive.. Maybe with the Mega CD, but just maybe.. Cool game though.

duke nukem 3d was on MD  virtua racing is actually a polygoned game.

i have my doubts as well. but i cant say its impossible since you can play robo blast on a 486 pc or a pious pentium 60hz. surely its possible. ill have a look to the specs again

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:48:32 am »
Okay, here we go... no compilations.

1. Sonic 2. Best version of the 2-D formula and had a really good pace.

2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

3. Sonic Rush. Because Hideki Naganuma music is awesome and so is Blaze the Cat

4. Sonic Colors. As great as Sonic Generations is, it requires it's nostalgic past to do so. Sonic Colors is 100% original and IMO, the best of the 3-D Sonic games.

5. Sonic Generations/Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. TIE!

BTW, Sonic 1 didn't make the list because it just feels nerfed without the spindash that came in the sequel and I hate how it slows down greatly in the second zone. Also, IMO Sonic Unleashed is a better 3-D Sonic game than Sonic Adventure 2. I'd rather play as the Werehog than go through Rouge/Knuckles or Eggman/Tails gameplay again.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:30:29 am »
1. Sonic the hedgehog 1. Despite it being the shortest and most basic, it was the best execution of the formula. Not too much emphasis on speed, actual challenge in the level design with occasional adrenaline rush and very catchy music. This game wasn't about eyecandy and automation. It required full input and attention or else you'd simply die.

2. Sonic 3 and knuckles. I really have a love hate relationship with this game. One part of me loves it and I've finished it many times compared to the other sonic games, but I hate how some parts of the game feel like how modern sonic games are today, having a lot of emphasis on eyecandy with its automation in many occasions. Not only that, but the game is pretty easy in the sonic 3 part because of how many rings are placed everywhere. But this probably has to do with the fact sonic 3 was designed as part of a bigger game? It would make sense.

Thankfully this is only and mostly in sonic 3's part because from mushroom hill on, it is a top notch challenging game with amazing visuals, music and everything. Some moments are just truly epic and nothing you'd see in a 16 bit era 2d platformer. Sonic 3k was revolutionary when it came to a sense of progression and story in a 2d game. The replayability in s3k is probably the best in the franchises history. Not that it has the most content, but all the content it does offer, is all fun.

3. Sonic 2. I agree with semmie that it is not the best out of all the classics, but a sonic 2 playthrough from beginning to end always makes me happy. I don't know if its nostalgia or simply the game having some kind of special ingredient i cant put my finger on. But the level themes and music do add a great experience at least.

4. Sonic adventure 1. Wholeheartly agree with semmie. The best execution of sonic in 3d, at least conceptually forgetting about some of the bugs and glitches. The thing is, someone just had to ruin it with terrible ideas and multiple characters that no one cared about. What they should have done is remove big. Remove knuckles if they couldn't think of a good gameplay mechanic for him beside treasure hunting. Keep sonic, tails, amy and e102 and with the removal of the other 2 they could have given sonic more stages built around the great controls of sonic adventure 1. Sonic adventure 1 in my opinion still has the best controls in any sonic game. If they only removed the spammable spindash for sonic, it would still make up for a great game if someone added new engaging content.

5. Sonic colors. This was a hard one between generations and colors, but i'll defenitly have to go with colors when it comes down to it. The reason for this is because generations, despite having the better controls, really was low on content and had some flawed decisions in level picks. Sonic colors however was loaded with content and had great and the most original level themes ever seen in a sonic game. Sonic colors may have actually have the best OST in sonic game history.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:32:59 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Sonic Jam is still my #1, but of the games in Sonic Jam I prefer them in this order:
1. Sonic 2 - In my opinion the best all around Sonic game and a Genesis classic. It's the perfect sequel. Everything I loved about Sonic 1 is improved, which at the time made my jaw drop. In 1992 I didn't know how they did it, but they improved on Sonic 1, which was god tier in my eyes at the time (and still is). Awesome bosses, stage design, enemies, cutscenes, music, level progression. It's just such a classic.

2. Sonic 1 - I rank this one so high in part, because it was the first SEGA game I owned (Genesis bundle in the Christmas of 1991). But it's also just a really awesome game. Sure it lacks the innovations of the later titles, but it doesn't NEED them. It still functions as an all-around awesome Genesis experience and is still a classic. I think the simplicity is what makes it (still) one of the best Sonic games. Hell, thats exactly what it is: it's SONIC. No gimmicks or sequels or anything, just the straight up winning formula that started it all.

3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Obviously the complete package would beat out the two titles standing on their own. I don't really need to say much, It's a video game epic. Like the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition of the Sonic franchise. I think it may be TOO much at times, I prefer the simpler titles like Sonic 1&2, but it's still a fantastic game.

4. Sonic & Knuckles - I prefer this to Sonic 3 simply because it's so different from the other stand-alone Genesis Sonic titles. No Tails to be found, just Sonic & Knuckles. Mushroom Hill is such a breathe of fresh air after Green Hill, Emerald Hill & Angel Island. And I think the stage progression is just very very unique for a Sonic game.

5. Sonic 3 - I love this game, but not as much as Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And like S&K, I think the fact that it is an incomplete game places lower than the two combined or the first two games.