Author Topic: In This Topic We Bid Farewell to the Xbox 360 and the PS3  (Read 17151 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
In This Topic We Bid Farewell to the Xbox 360 and the PS3
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:22 am »
I was think about this topic for a while, as the rate of releases for these consoles have slown down, dramatically I might add and glancing at the release dates of whatever remaining Xbox 360 and PS3 games out there, I guess it's time to say farewell to these consoles. A little appreciation thread for both of these consoles.

I'm not kidding, I checked the release schedules and there's a handful of titles coming out for these (MGS V, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat X, Mighty No.9 and a small number of other titles) and I'm not holding my breath for any new major announcements for those consoles at this year's E3. Sure there might still be some game franchises that'll stick (CoD, Fifa and whatnot) but it's clear that the video games industry is going to move on.

That being said, I look at the Xbox 360 as one of my personal favorite consoles. And thank it for all those good times. All the great JRPGs (except FF13, f*** that game) I've played on it, all the really good SEGA games that I've played on it. The Resident Evil games, Borderlands, Saint's Row games (especially those). I had my fair share of frustrations over it as well: the console's failure rate. Since I had mine, die on me at least 3 times, till I got myself a used Xbox 360 S model (bought it with my very first paycheck) and bought an Xbox 360 E model, which was the final hardware refresh. I'm still looking foward to MGS V, Resi 2, Tembo The Badass Elephant and Rise of the Tomb Raider but I think this holiday season I'll be moving on to a new console. Thanks for all the good times.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: In This Topic We Bid Farewell to the Xbox 360 and the PS3
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:55:07 pm »

Just happened to look up the 360 release calendar on Gamefaqs yesterday.

I own neither but it's hard to believe it's been nearly 9-10 years since these consoles came out and It looks like they're still getting some solid releases in their twilight years.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:57:58 pm by Nathan Dunsmore »

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »
Both were great consoles. There was so many great titles on both that owning both machines was essential!

Just a question for any Xbox 360 owners here? How many did you go through? I've had 4.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:35:11 pm »
I've had two 360s. The first one lasted a good while but got the RROD while in MS's extended coverage period, so I sent it in. Got it back and it made it for about another year and a half, placing it outside their coverage time. Then I went and got the one I have now, and it's lasted at least 7 years.

This is kind of a side thought to the main theme, but it does have to do with the changing console generation - from the time that the 360 came out until the One came out was eight years. I think about the huge difference in experience younger kids have had with such a long console generation, to what I experienced as a kid in the passing of eight years... 1987 to 1995, for example. I got a Sega Master System in '87, and of course there was some other console that a bunch of other kids liked at the time. ;) Then in 1995, the Sega Saturn and the first Playstation came out. Now that's a quantum leap in the evolution of gaming. Not quite the same kind of thing we've experienced from '05 to '13.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:25 pm »
Just a question for any Xbox 360 owners here? How many did you go through? I've had 4.

Two. One was a refurb that RRODd and I got a replacement that has still ran to this day. Both were the 20gig original model. Once this one dies, I'm getting a recent model with a huge hard drive.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 06:35:41 pm »
My parents got me the 360 Arcade Model way back at Xmas '06. Red Ring of Death around September 2007. It happened again on my birthday in 2009, just after I had bought Resident Evil 5. They actually sent me a newer model, dated from January 2009 that didn't have an HDMI port (weird as heck). That newer model fortunately never let me down. I eventually sold it to someone else and got a used Xbox 360 S model from a Game store with my very first paycheck. Never crapped out on me once. 'Cept the disc drive kinda crapped out on me in January 2015. Bought the newer model, Xbox 360 E model and sold the old one.

So basically, I went through four consoles total.

I'm sad that this generation is coming to a close, but overall it was a good ten years. The 360 jumped in way early near the end of 2005, just when the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube were still duking it out. The previous gen lasted from 1999-2005, which was somewhat short. This particular generation (360, PS3, Wii) was also a strange one. But this gen did last for a good 10 years.

Like the Playstation 2, these two consoles will slowly for surely fade away.

This isn't a knock on the Wii but it was weird having that console winning this generation in the two years that it lived, only to suddenly die and the Xbox 360 coming as the de facto winner. It's unusual for a best selling console to die all of a sudden and in a way harmed both Sony and Microsoft, because they decided to artifically increase their consoles lifespan with Kinect and the PS Move.

Failure rate aside, the Kinect was also one of Microsoft's worst ideas ever to help boost the console's appeal. Faulty logic, 'cause even with a ton of hardcore games it was still perceived as a console for everyone.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:20:26 am »
Great thread. It's funny because I just recently bought the ps3 from my brother. But ever since I got it, I havent even turned it on. Despite some of its exclusives. I guess its just hard for me to go back to very inconsistent low framerates and long load times(1st world problem -_-)

My ps3 is patiently waiting for yakuza 5 and hopefully 0...

360 has been unused for a loooong time. It started out as a great console with games that at the time were really pushing themselves. Assassin's creed, Halo, Condemned, GTA IV, Bayonetta etc etc. I mean there's a loot more. The thing with the 360 for me was, that at some point in its later life I realized that the games were actually not that fun for me. I was not enjoying a lot of the games. It just struck me all of a sudden, especially when i'd go back to playing retro games or occasionally the good nintendo games on wii. I wasnt getting that sense of satisfaction at the end of the road. It felt more like a struggle rather than me just mindlessly having fun. I mean this in general though. I still like some of the games, but overall i've became a bit more picky with the games i'll choose to play. I like to finish games when I start them so they have to be worth it right from the start

The Wii was an odd one. It was pretty much an underwhelming console from day one. Really shit and im glad we're past that. Tbh after the Wii I didnt care for nintendo anymore. I decided to go full PC pretty early after all of this and felt right at home. It wasnt untill the 3DS that convinced me nintendo was still in it for the quality. The 3DS is probably the only platform right now that consistently brings great gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:24:42 am by CrazyT »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:15 am »
Last generation was mostly good, there was some downsides, but i think the positives outweighed the negatives. The main negative for me is it really seemed to destroy a lot of Japanese developers, but they seem to be making a comeback now.

In general though it was great. Solid online play, introduction of digital games and more.

I started off with a 360 and switched to a PS3 towards the middle of the generation after the 360 stopped getting games and mine was on it's last legs. Sold it off to gamestop and put that money towards a PS3. Played Valkyria Chronicles and never looked back.

It was also the start of youtubers becoming a thing. We got great classics like ChadWarden, Elpresador, and DSPGaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZfNiMfLm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:04:23 am by Happy Cat »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »
I think its funny cuz last generation was mostly the same opinion (Its too last gen) now everyone forgets it and complains about the same thing on PS4/Xbone.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »
Would have been great, even if the only games were Bayonetta & VF5+FS.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »
It's the end of a great generation for me too.

I'm starting to think it might be the last time I game the same way mind. The big titles you see the consoles pushing don't really interest me and the indie games and PC adventure games (broken sword, the book of unwritten tales, the walking dead etc) have really appealed to me more. These sort of games don't require a particularly expensive or powerful machine either - which is a huge bonus.

I'm certain I will buy another console, but I'm really in no rush at the moment. The indie games they offer I can get on my PC and I'm still waiting for the console exclusives that interest me really.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:35:17 pm by Tad »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:52 am »
Last generation was mostly good, there was some downsides, but i think the positives outweighed the negatives. The main negative for me is it really seemed to destroy a lot of Japanese developers, but they seem to be making a comeback now.

In general though it was great. Solid online play, introduction of digital games and more.

I started off with a 360 and switched to a PS3 towards the middle of the generation after the 360 stopped getting games and mine was on it's last legs. Sold it off to gamestop and put that money towards a PS3. Played Valkyria Chronicles and never looked back.

It was also the start of youtubers becoming a thing. We got great classics like ChadWarden, Elpresador, and DSPGaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZfNiMfLm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM
With the bloodborne hype, I really feel like I should get back to dark souls. Tough game man.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:26:48 pm »
I think its funny cuz last generation was mostly the same opinion (Its too last gen) now everyone forgets it and complains about the same thing on PS4/Xbone.
I honestly don't remember anyone saying that. There certainly was a bigger leap when it came to graphics, and online multiplayer and open worlds became far more prominent. Also, indie games got a lot more attention thanks to digital distribution and for better or worse DLC became very big as well. This generation meanwhile hasn't really had much new stuff that couldn't be done on last gen consoles aside from better graphics, but it is possible for that all to still come. Especially with how much companies are putting into VR headsets, which could be this generation's big new thing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:30:50 pm by TimmiT »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 04:23:35 pm »
I loved last gen, easily my third favorite next to the 16 and 32 bit era. We had some great franchises come out of last gen.

I've got 3 Xbox 360's but none are broken. I've got a red RE 5 X360 and Star Wars R2D2 unit sealed. I use a black X360 slim to game on. I'll eventually upgrade to 500gbs, but I jus got a 250gb HDD that isn't bad.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 04:31:57 pm »
what was the one game that blew your mind last generation? For me it was totally Uncharted 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WqNMgdzzjU