Author Topic: This Is How You Revive A Console  (Read 5898 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
This Is How You Revive A Console
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
http://www.retrovgs.com/

Introducing Coleco Chameleon. Now this is something i can get behind.

If you were a gamer in the early ‘80s, you’ve no doubt played ColecoVision—the short-lived console that brought arcade games to your living room. Well, get ready for a nostalgia hurricane, because Coleco is back on the scene with a new home console—and it’ll play actual gamecartridges.The hero of this comeback story is called Coleco Chameleon. This 21st-century console will play 20th-century 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit titles. There will also be brand new games with similar graphics available, too, so Coleco is smartly cashing in on the popularity of retro-style 2D titles that have been hits on all platforms from smartphones to Steam.
“It’s ironic that a new ‘retro’ video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the Coleco brand,” said Coleco partner Chris Cardillo, in a press release. The project’s a collaboration between Coleco and a company called Retro Video Game Systems.
No price comes with this announcement, but it’ll hit shelves next year, and it’ll be shown at Toy Fair New York 2016 in February.

Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: This Is How You Revive A Console
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »
It still has its share of issues, but I could see it taking off reasonably well. It's not going to be competition for anybody by any stretch but I'm sure some people will really latch onto it.

TBH, I think more people need to seek out retro hardware rather than making new hardware. Every person moaning for a new retro console needs to check their shelf. If they don't own a Master System or something along those lines, they need to stop hoping and hit ebay.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »
That controller's button placement is the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in a while. It just...looks so wrong...inhumane...why would anyone do this?

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:55:27 pm »
It still has its share of issues, but I could see it taking off reasonably well. It's not going to be competition for anybody by any stretch but I'm sure some people will really latch onto it.

TBH, I think more people need to seek out retro hardware rather than making new hardware. Every person moaning for a new retro console needs to check their shelf. If they don't own a Master System or something along those lines, they need to stop hoping and hit ebay.

I own a ton of retro consoles, almost every one in existence, but i still enjoy little projects like these. Like the Commodore USA when it made its comeback in 2010, but ceased production a few years after.

What interests me the most about this is that it'll be able to play 8, 16, and 32gb games. Apparently it'll be backwards compatible too. The idea of creating new cartridge games sounds awesome.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:40:01 pm »
Man, I still can't quite get over how much a disaster the original campaign was, especially once the Kevtris stuff came out.  It's all coming back sooner than expected, but it seems they're much more organized in terms of what the hardware wants to be now. 

Sounds like they're ditching the FPGA stuff and going more w/ a retro-styled console that plays modern indie games, but they really need to reverse on the "no online connectivity" part.  One of the best benefits with certain retro games is being able to play them online w/ other people, why roadblock a potentially awesome feature?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:02:36 am »
And it's over now.
Say goodbye to "Coleco" Chammeleon.
Coleco officially pulls its name from the Chameleon.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/coleco-pulls-support-from-chameleon/

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:39:18 am »
Ok, how about someone making a good console now?
SEG4GES

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
SEG4GES

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:55:43 pm »
Coleco 3.33: This Is (Not) How You Revive a Console