Author Topic: "Resident Evil" turns 20-years dead this March!  (Read 7440 times)

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
"Resident Evil" turns 20-years dead this March!
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:35:36 pm »
Come March, "Resident Evil" will be 20 years old. Yeah, it's already been 20 years since we entered the world of "survival horror". While I've devoured every numbered release, and a handful of spin-offs, the original is still my favorite. Specifically, the Saturn version. It's the same great game, plus a "Battle Mode", two extra costumes, and a few other surprises that caught me off-guard.

I just reviewed the Japanese version, "Bio Hazard", so the graphic cutscenes are still intact.

Anyone got some "evil" memories on Sega hardware? Anything from "CODE Veronica", to the ports of 2 & 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr78dCboeZU&list=PLoDR4GcBWH7xUjb5o8siWZUbq05Ft8f8_&index=14
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: "Resident Evil" turns 20-years dead this March!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »
My memories are watching my brother play code veronica and me being fucking weirded out by all the stuff in that game.

And later when I tried to get into the series myself sucking majorly at it. I wish I wasnt such a pussy lol. I think id be able to handle it if I gave it a bit more time, but the horror genre for some reason doesnt really sit comfortable with me. Neither do horror movies. I guess I should just push myself some time.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
The HD remaster of the REmake and RE 0 were one of those timid but earnest steps that gives us the idea that Capcom really is trying not to be as retard as it was during the last generation.

Here's hoping Remake 2 is as good as the first, which is easily one of the best games ever made and the best survival horror ever.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:48:26 am »
My memories are watching my brother play code veronica and me being fucking weirded out by all the stuff in that game.

And later when I tried to get into the series myself sucking majorly at it. I wish I wasnt such a pussy lol. I think id be able to handle it if I gave it a bit more time, but the horror genre for some reason doesnt really sit comfortable with me. Neither do horror movies. I guess I should just push myself some time.

Hahaha! So, I guess you never got into "Silent Hill" or "D"? There's nothing wrong with sucking at games, or being scared. I personally suck at shooters, or "shmups" if you prefer, but I keep playing 'em. As for being scared, it's a thrilling feeling for me. I've loved horror movies since I was 5-years old. They scared the shit outta' me, and it was awesome.

Push yourself. It's fun!  :)

The HD remaster of the REmake and RE 0 were one of those timid but earnest steps that gives us the idea that Capcom really is trying not to be as retard as it was during the last generation.

Here's hoping Remake 2 is as good as the first, which is easily one of the best games ever made and the best survival horror ever.

How was Capcom "retarded" before their GameCube remake, and "Resident Evil Zero"?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »
Great stuff!

Out of interest, what do you think of Res post 4?

I think the transition went fairly well, but apart from the cabin scene, it never really felt scary. With just some minor changes, I think they had it. However, they went after the more arcade silly feel instead.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »
Great stuff!

Out of interest, what do you think of Res post 4?

I think the transition went fairly well, but apart from the cabin scene, it never really felt scary. With just some minor changes, I think they had it. However, they went after the more arcade silly feel instead.

Thanks, cap'n! I appreciate it. Just added "Resident Evil 2" and "Nemesis" to my Dreamcast collection, so I'll be able to review those as soon as they're in.

As for Resident Evil post "Veronica" - that's my personal branch point - "Resident Evil 4-5" are good action/horror games, but they really don't feel like "Resident Evil" to me. The beginning of RE4 just wipes away the whole Umbrella plot in the opening narration, which upset me after the build-up we received in RE2, RE3, and Veronica. Also, they concentrated far too much on 'action'.

For me, RE4-5 are titles that are severely out-of-balance. That, or their focus simply shifted from 'horror' to 'action', which disappoints me somewhat. They're fun games, mind you, though they lack the sort of scares and ambiance I expect from RE. That, and the puzzles. Puzzles don't really standout for me in RE4-5.

"Resident Evil 6" was so boring, I didn't even bother finishing it. I'll say this; it was still more entertaining than "Resident Evil: Survivor" on PSone, which is still my absolute LEAST favorite RE title.   

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »
Like always, very well done. But you know that already. I feel like a non-sega fan due to experiencing this first on PSone. But its a great game, I played the Director's Cut.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:18 pm »
How was Capcom "retarded" before their GameCube remake, and "Resident Evil Zero"?

Talking about the HD PC ports, dude.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:32 am »
Like always, very well done. But you know that already. I feel like a non-sega fan due to experiencing this first on PSone. But its a great game, I played the Director's Cut.

Hey, not always. You remember my original review for "Technocop" and "Motocross Championship"? Those videos SUCKED! Shit, my first "Resident Evil" review is unwatchable now. Hahaha! Still, thank you.  ;-D

Most players experienced it on PSone. Don't feel bad. Which "Director's Cut" did you play? The one with, or without, dual-shock? In case you're unaware of the difference, in addition to the added to dual-shock, they also changed much of the music. It went from ambient horror movie, to an episode of "The X-Files". Ugh!

Talking about the HD PC ports, dude.

I never played 'em. What were they like?