Author Topic: TIME's The 50 Best Video Games of All Time  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
TIME's The 50 Best Video Games of All Time
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:05 am »
Let's play "Find the SEGA games".

"#41: ESPN NFL 2K5"

Here's the archive link because they don't deserve the traffic: http://archive.is/c1KIB

What bullshit. Now for those wondering what "Best" means, in their words "a cross-section of gaming’s best ideas across nearly four decades". SEGA. One of the most innovative developers in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s doesn't get a single game outside of a 2K game that they only published. Disgusting.

And yeah, I'm hard at work on the Top 50 SEGA Games list I launched late last year. I'm planning a Fall/Winter release of the list.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: TIME's The 50 Best Video Games of All Time
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:00:06 pm »
Number 18 cracks me up.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »
That list is truly awful lol

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:58:12 pm »
WTF not even Shenmue?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »
WTF not even Shenmue?
Sorry bro, it wasn't the best idea :(

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:28:46 pm »
Not surprising. Time Magazine hates SEGA.

Anyone remember when they wrote a history of video gaming...
None of SEGA consoles ever mentioned. NONE !!!

Link : http://content.time.com/time/interactive/0,31813,2029221,00.html

Edit : They've added SEGA Genesis now. But I swore I remember back then there's none of SEGA consoles since I've e-mailed them about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:44:32 pm by Berto »

Offline Tad

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:31 am »
I don't think their would be tons of SEGA games in their anyway, but even without SEGA, this list makes little sense. Seems as though they've forgotten their own title of "best games of all time" and confused it with things like most influential, groundbreaking or technologically advanced.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:14:35 am »
I don't think their would be tons of SEGA games in their anyway, but even without SEGA, this list makes little sense. Seems as though they've forgotten their own title of "best games of all time" and confused it with things like most influential, groundbreaking or technologically advanced.

Still failed though.
The most influential and ground breaking vs fighting game was Street Fighter II, yet still they do not mention it.

Offline Tad

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:56 am »
That's my point. They've confused them all.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:21:29 am »
Clearly this list was made by some millenial intern with zero knowledge of retro games that wrote about his favorites and then looked up on google "best gaems evr"
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:04 pm »
While I am in no way blaming SEGA, because I think any true panel of game experts would name off at least a dozen great and incredibly influential SEGA games (which TIME's panel clearly lacked), I will say that I think SEGA needs to do a better job getting their old stuff and their past accomplishments out there. I'm not exactly talking remasters and ports, though those would be nice, I mainly mean pushing their past stuff actively online through social networks and through the media.

Nintendo rubs our faces in Mario, Zelda and Star Fox again and again, and I feel that due to this people have been conditioned to see these games and immediately think "great games". Even non-gamers will see a screen from the original Mario or Zelda and say "oh, those are those games that are supposed to be really great". But stuff like Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Virtual On, Daytona USA, NiGHTS and Shenmue is just not out and about as much because SEGA doesn't really see it as a priority to push these games unless they are making profit on them through merch or rereleases.

But the problem is, SEGA doesn't get that by touting your legacy again and again you build your brand up through educating people on your past and reminding people who were once aware of these games that they still exist and were what made SEGA great.

I think the Sonic twitter account does a good job with this. Aaron and Gene (and whoever else is on their team) are not afraid to talk about great moments from Sonic's past even if said games are not being rereleased or there really is no financial reason to mention them. But it helps the brand, as it reinforces the past accomplishments.

Basically, I think those who made this list for TIME were largely modern gamers who knew little of the past, but were aware enough of the stuff that is being shoved in their faces as classic time and time again (like Pong, Tetris, and half the Nintendo titles on the list).

I honestly think SEGA needs somebody on staff who is in charge of building the brand through boosting recognition of legacy IPs, somebody who seeks out brand partnerships, commercial options, and plain old social media touting. If somebody like that already exists, they either need to step it up or be replaced with somebody who gets it.

Offline Tad

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 02:12:30 pm »
PR was rarely ever SEGA's strong point so it's no surprise.

https://youtu.be/gPkoS3_kzeo ha!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:16:18 pm by Tad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »
I remember that scene in Shenmue 2.

Wait, no I don't.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 02:47:18 am »
According to the listed writers, it took 7 individuals to come up with this piece of shit list. Time Magazine paid 7 writers to come up with a random list of popular games and put them on a best list.

"Hum we need one at 48!"

"What do the kids like? Min... what was it? Oh yeah, Angry Birds!"

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN THE-HE BEST!"

The more you look at the list, the more it looks like they took all the genres of video games and just googled "WHATS THE MOST POPULAR 'ARCADE GAME'" then pasted the answer in a form of a top 50 list.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 02:54:54 am »

I honestly think SEGA needs somebody on staff who is in charge of building the brand through boosting recognition of legacy IPs, somebody who seeks out brand partnerships, commercial options, and plain old social media touting. If somebody like that already exists, they either need to step it up or be replaced with somebody who gets it.

Sega of Japan's Twitter actually does this....The Sonic Twitter approach reminds me of Japan's method.