Author Topic: The reason of the change in the Japanese gaming business (information)  (Read 28568 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: The reason of the change in the Japanese gaming business (information)
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:19 pm »
The problem is that kind of people or at least say most of the "gamers" who do that. I mean, how do you success in something if the game is gonna be release free in 2 months and people wait and "buy it" that way. It was 10$ and even that price is too much for them.

And sales or discount only cause more problems. Lucky dev if you win in that. In this case, nobody have won.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
The problem is that kind of people or at least say most of the "gamers" who do that. I mean, how do you success in something if the game is gonna be release free in 2 months and people wait and "buy it" that way. It was 10$ and even that price is too much for them.

And sales or discount only cause more problems. Lucky dev if you win in that. In this case, nobody have won.

Hm really? I didn't get that from some of them, a few of them were calling out Ubisoft for their insane expectations I thought.

A better example was when Alien: Isolation sold over a million and people were like "Why is that considered successful?" even though SEGA seemed to be very happy with the sales.

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »
Until further news, I reach a source that says that Bamco is gonna do something interesting with the Arcade Namco IP's they have....watch out for that.

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30:34 am »
Now, Level-5 is going full charge on mobile with their IP's.
Even if they sold really well on 3DS.

Edit:Shhh, don't tell to TA but: http://mobile.siliconera.com/home/2015-04-06-capcom-hope-to-operate-deep-down-and-other-online-games-for-10-years
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:44:35 am by Nirmugen »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 11:55:41 am »
I remember SEGA saying in a event when they announced Resonance of Fate that they wanted to 'support the franchise for 10 years'.

I wonder if Japanese people just like throwing around that decade long number.

Offline Nirmugen

I will put the days which Jp companies will post their financial statments about FY2015:

Nintendo: 7th May
Capcom: 7th May
Bandai Namco: 8th May
Konami: 8th May
Sega-Sammy: 11th May
Square-Enix: 12th May

Resume for all "the Big 6" in Japan will come later.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
It seems Koei Tecmo doing well for themselves

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040392

It should be noted a couple of things

" Koei Tecmo saw revenue increase for the second consecutive year and operating profit increase for the 5th consecutive year, up 35.2% YOY. Total sales revenue reached 37,799m yen which was up 0.6% YOY. Game Software still remained the biggest segment for Koei Tecmo with Online and Mobile in a comfortable second place. Combined, these two segments account for more than 31,600m yen in revenue.

Total sales revenue in Japan decreased 4.6% YOY but still accounted for 79% of total revenues, 29,876m yen. Sales revenue overseas was up 26.4% YOY and accounted for 7,922m yen. North America and Europe saw the biggest increases (42.8% and 40.8%) whilst Asia was down 8.6% YOY only accounting for 1,763m yen compared to 2,431m yen in Europe and 3,728m yen in North America.

The total operating profit ratio was up 6.5 points to 25.5%. "

So it seem spending for consumer games still going down in Japan but strong offering this past year helped for overseas consumer games. f2p DOA5 and downloadable content is making them money and they'll be doing more mobile stuff

I think they benefit heavily from running the same engines into the ground, also, for their games (Musou, Atelier)
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Nirmugen

Oh, I forgot Koei Tecmo, they are doing good with all their deals with Musou licensed games.

Expect many more licensed games from that. They are going to use that formula until it isn't work anymore.

Offline Nirmugen

Well, we have at least each report for the so called "Big 6 in Japan" (Bandai-Namco, Sega-Sammy, Square-Enix, Konami, Capcom and Koei-Tecmo)

Here are the reports in order by time of publication:

Overall                                                  Currency:USD converted from JP Yen.
                           Net Sales                           Operating Income                      Net Income/Profit(Loss)

Koei-Tecmo:       315.55 Million                    80.56 Million                                   78.76 Million

Capcom:             534.54 Million                    88.33 Million                                   55.22 Million

Bandai-Namco:   4.72 Billion                        470.05 Million                                 313.72 Million

Konami:              1.82 Billion                        120.61 Million                                 79.12 Million

Sega-Sammy:     2.96 Billion                  146.9 Million                           (93.49 Million)-Extraordinary Loss (132.71 Million)-                                                                                                                                      Without EL 41.73 Million (3Q Report)

Square-Enix:       1.40 Billion                  137.08 Million                          82.05 Million

Games (Digital/Packaged)
                                                                                                        Net Sales                           Operating Income

Koei-Tecmo:      263.71 Million                    74.48 Million                                   

Capcom:             378.64 Million                    85.21 Million                                   

Bandai-Namco:   2.47 Billion                        244.49 Million                                 

Konami :            809.51 Million                   110.78 Million                               
(Arcade Included
Marginal Error: -17%)

Sega-Sammy:     855.24 Million                   44.2 Million                                     

Square-Enix:       933.95 Million                   144.16 Million                               
                                                                    (NB:Higher than Overall)

Gross Market Position(Overall):

1)Bandai-Namco
2)Sega-Sammy
3)Konami
4)Square-Enix
5)Capcom
6)Koei-Tecmo

Gross Market Position(Games):

1)Bandai-Namco
2)Square-Enix
3)Sega-Sammy
4)Konami